How Much Does a Gallon of Water Weigh?
How Much Does a Gallon of Water Weigh?
Are you curious about the weight of a gallon of water? At 62°F (or 17°C), a US gallon weighs 8.34 pounds or 3.78 kilograms. Now that you know the answer, congratulations!
Question: How much does a gallon of water weigh?
Answer: At 62 °F (17 °C), one US gallon of water weighs 3.78 kg or 8.34 lbs. At its densest point, which is 2.20456 lbs / L at 4 °C or 39 °F, an imperial gallon (UK) weighs 10.022 lbs or 4.546 kg.
Ballpark Calculation (for all temperatures)
3.75 liters make up a gallon.
Since water has a density of 1 kg/liter, 1 liter equals 1 kilogram.
3.75 kg is equivalent to 8.25 lbs, and 1 gallon is about 8.25 lbs
Three Different Units of Gallons
Using a different gallon measurement depends on your situation. There are two ways to define a gallon in the US.
The most widely used US liquid gallon is 231 cubic inches or 3.785 liters, and it has a maximum density of 8.344 lbs.
The US dry gallon is equal to 268.8025 cubic inches, or 4.405 liters, or 1/8 of a US bushel. A US dry gallon weighs 9.711 lbs of water at its densest point.
While the original definition of the UK gallon or imperial gallon was 10 lbs of water, the current definition is exactly 4.54609 L or 10.02 lbs of water at its maximum density.
What changes the weight of water?
You can change the state of water, as you can see when you boil water on the stove or freeze it into ice cubes. These are extreme examples, but even small temperature changes have an impact on how water behaves and weighs.
Similarly, changes in the atmosphere affect the mass of water, just as they would on land, at the bottom of the ocean, or on the moon.
How Much Does a Gallon of Water Weigh? (lbs/kg)
At room temperature, one US gallon of water weighs approximately 3.78 kilograms or 8.33 pounds.
The density of water varies with its exact weight, which in turn depends on the temperature at which it is kept.
Effect of Water Temperature on Weight
Ice, warm water, and liquids that are just above freezing are all less dense than cold water.
This is a peculiar characteristic of the substance brought on by hydrogen bonding. A gallon of warm water would therefore weigh a little bit less than a gallon of cold water.
The precise difference would depend on the relevant temperatures, but it has little impact on the value.
The Effect of Temperature on the Weight of Water
The weight of water is affected by temperature changes, even small ones.
The energy of water molecules increases as a result of heating.
Water molecules become more dispersed as a result of the increase in kinetic energy.
Thus, each molecule requires a greater amount of space:
As a result, the density of water is reduced.
As a result, cold water has a higher density than hot water would.
Effect of Density on Weight of Water
The maximum density of water is 39.2of or 4oc.
A gallon of water weighs approximately 8.345 lbs. At this temperature.
But if we crank the heat all the way up to 200 degrees, a gallon of water will only weigh about 8.04 pounds.
At room temperature (70°F or 21°C), a US gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs (3.78kg). The density of the water may vary depending on its temperature.
Effect of Water on Height, Gravity, and Pressure
All objects with mass are subject to the force of gravity.
Any mass-containing object will produce a gravitational field, though it won’t have much of an effect on very small objects.
However, for large objects like planets, like our sun, gravity cannot be disregarded. Every day of our lives, we are affected by the gravitational field that the Earth creates for itself.
It affects the weight of things, including water, and keeps us anchored to the surface of our world. The weight of an object increases with the strength of gravity.
For instance, a gallon of water weighs approximately 8.34 pounds at sea level on Earth but will be close to 20 pounds on Jupiter
Of course, weight is also affected by gravity, so a gallon of water (or any other object) would weigh more on Jupiter than on Earth while less on the Moon.
A Simple Way to Recall the Weight of Water
The simple rhyme “A pint’s a pound, the world round” can help you remember the weight of water for everyday use even though you’ll need to remember the precise volume definitions for scientific calculations.
According to the proverb, 16 fluid ounces (or a pint) and 16 ounces of avoirdupois weight roughly equate. A gallon weighs about 8 lbs because it is made up of 4 quarts or 8 pints.
The bottom Line
Okay, but… How much does a gallon of water weigh?
When water is at 39.2of or 4oc, it is the densest. A US gallon of water weighs approximately 8.345 lbs. At this temperature.
However, if the heat is turned all the way up to 200 degrees, a gallon of water will weigh about 8.04 pounds.
A gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs. At room temperature (70°F or 21°C). (3.78kg).
How much does 5 gallons of water weigh?
Five US gallons of water weigh 41.6 lbs (18.9 kg) at room temperature (70 °F or 21 °C), plus the weight of the bucket or bottle.
What is the weight of 10 gallons of water?
Ten US gallons of water weigh 83.3 lbs (37.8 kg) at room temperature, plus the weight of the bucket or bottle.
Weight reference chart for gallons of water
|Gallons of water||Pounds||Kilos|
|1 gallon||8.33 lb||3.78 kg|
|2 gallons||16.66 lb||7.56 kg|
|3 gallons||24.99 lb||11.33 kg|
|4 gallons||33.32 lb||15.11 kg|
|5 gallons||41.64 lb||18.89 kg|
|6 gallons||49.97 lb||22.67 kg|
|7 gallons||58.3 lb||26.45 kg|
|8 gallons||66.63 lb||30.22 kg|
|9 gallons||74.96 lb||34 kg|
|10 gallons||83.29 lb||37.78 kg|
|11 gallons||91.62 lb||41.56 kg|
|12 gallons||99.95 lb||45.33 kg|
|13 gallons||108.28 lb||49.11 kg|
|14 gallons||116.6 lb||52.89 kg|
|15 gallons||124.93 lb||56.67 kg|
|16 gallons||133.26 lb||60.45 kg|
|17 gallons||141.59 lb||64.22 kg|
|18 gallons||149.92 lb||68 kg|
|19 gallons||158.25 lb||71.78 kg|
|20 gallons||166.58 lb||75.56 kg|
|At room temperature (70°F or 21°C). The density of 0.998 g/ml|
How much does a gallon of water weigh in pounds, stones, and kilos
How much does a gallon of water weigh hinges on where it is and the temperature it is at?
The following two tables show how much water weighs at a room temperature of 70°F / 21°C and 80°F / 26.7°C.
Some aquariums at home will be within this range.
|Weight of water in pounds, stones, and kilos for US gallons|
|Gallons of water||Pounds||Stones||Kilos|
|1 gallon||8.33 lb||0.60||3.78 kg|
|2 gallons||16.66 lb||1.19||7.56 kg|
|3 gallons||24.99 lb||1.79||11.33 kg|
|4 gallons||33.32 lb||2.38||15.11 kg|
|5 gallons||41.64 lb||2.97||18.89 kg|
|6 gallons||49.97 lb||3.57||22.67 kg|
|7 gallons||58.3 lb||4.16||26.45 kg|
|8 gallons||66.63 lb||4.76||30.22 kg|
|9 gallons||74.96 lb||5.35||34 kg|
|10 gallons||83.29 lb||5.95||37.78 kg|
|15 gallons||124.933 lb||8.92||56.67 kg|
|20 gallons||166.578 lb||11.83||75.56 kg|
|29 gallons||241.538 lb||17.25||109.56 kg|
|30 gallons||249.866 lb||17.85||113.34 kg|
|40 gallons||333.155 lb||23.80||151.12 kg|
|50 gallons||416.444 lb||29.75||188.90 kg|
|60 gallons||499.733 lb||35.70||226.67 kg|
|100 gallons||832.888 lb||59.49||377.79 kg|
|120 gallons||999.466 lb||71.39||453.35 kg|
|150 gallons||1249.332 lb||89.24||566.69 kg|
|At room temperature (70°F / 21°C)|
|Weight of water in pounds, stones and kilos for US gallons|
|Gallons of water||Pounds||Stones||Kilos|
|1 gallon||8.318 lb||0.59||3.773 kg|
|2 gallons||16.636 lb||1.19||7.546 kg|
|3 gallons||24.953 lb||1.78||11.319 kg|
|4 gallons||33.271 lb||2.38||15.092 kg|
|5 gallons||41.589 lb||2.97||18.864 kg|
|6 gallons||49.907 lb||3.56||22.637 kg|
|7 gallons||58.224 lb||4.16||26.41 kg|
|8 gallons||66.542 lb||4.75||30.183 kg|
|9 gallons||74.86 lb||5.35||33.956 kg|
|10 gallons||83.178 lb||5.94||37.729 kg|
|15 gallons||124.767 lb||8.91||56.593 kg|
|20 gallons||166.356 lb||11.88||75.458 kg|
|29 gallons||241.216 lb||17.23||109.414 kg|
|30 gallons||249.533 lb||17.82||113.186 kg|
|40 gallons||332.711 lb||23.77||150.915 kg|
|50 gallons||415.889 lb||29.71||188.644 kg|
|60 gallons||499.067 lb||35.65||226.373 kg|
|100 gallons||831.778 lb||59.41||377.288 kg|
|120 gallons||998.134 lb||71.30||452.746 kg|
|150 gallons||1247.667 lb||89.12||565.932 kg|
|At room temperature (80°F / 26.7°C)|
In conclusion, multiple gallons of water weigh the amounts listed below:
- 1 gallon of water weighs 8.3454 lbs (3.7854 kg). But RECALL the vital caveat about the temperature above!
- 2 gallons of water weighs 16.69 lbs (7.57 kg)
- 3 gallons of water weighs 25.04 lbs (11.36 kg)
- 4 gallons of water weighs 33.38 lbs (15.14 kg)
- 5 gallons of water weighs 41.73 lbs (18.93 kg)
- 6 gallons of water weighs 50.07 lbs (22.71 kg)
- 7 gallons of water weighs 58.42 lbs (26.50 kg)
- 8 gallons of water weighs 66.76 lbs (30.28 kg)
- 9 gallons of water weighs 75.11 lbs (34.07 kg)
- 10 gallons of water weighs 83.45 lbs (37.85 kg)
- 11 gallons of water weighs 91.80 lbs (41.64 kg)
- 12 gallons of water weighs 100.14 lbs (45.42 kg)
- 13 gallons of water weighs 108.49 lbs (49.21 kg)
- 14 gallons of water weighs 116.84 lbs (53.00 kg)
- 15 gallons of water weighs 125.18 lbs (56.78 kg)
- 16 gallons of water weighs 133.53 lbs (60.57 kg)
- 17 gallons of water weighs 141.87 lbs (64.35 kg)
- 18 gallons of water weighs 150.22 lbs (68.14 kg)
- 19 gallons of water weighs 158.56 lbs (71.92 kg)
- 20 gallons of water weighs 166.91 lbs (75.71 kg)
- 25 gallons of water weighs 208.64 lbs (94.64 kg)
- 30 gallons of water weighs 250.36 lbs (113.56 kg)
- 35 gallons of water weighs 292.09 lbs (132.49 kg)
- 40 gallons of water weighs 333.82 lbs (151.42 kg)
- 45 gallons of water weighs 375.54 lbs (170.34 kg)
- 50 gallons of water weighs 417.27 lbs (189.27 kg)
- 55 gallons of water weighs 459.00 lbs (208.20 kg)
- 60 gallons of water weighs 500.72 lbs (227.12 kg)
- 65 gallons of water weighs 542.45 lbs (246.05 kg)
- 70 gallons of water weighs 584.18 lbs (264.98 kg)
- 75 gallons of water weighs 625.91 lbs (283.91 kg)
- 80 gallons of water weighs 667.63 lbs (302.83 kg)
- 85 gallons of water weighs 709.36 lbs (321.76 kg)
- 90 gallons of water weighs 751.09 lbs (340.69 kg)
- 95 gallons of water weighs 792.81 lbs (359.61 kg)
- 100 gallons of water weighs 834.54 lbs (378.54 kg)
- 110 gallons of water weighs 917.99 lbs (416.40 kg)
- 120 gallons of water weighs 1001.45 lbs (454.25 kg)
- 130 gallons of water weighs 1084.90 lbs (492.10 kg)
- 140 gallons of water weighs 1168.36 lbs (529.96 kg)
- 150 gallons of water weighs 1251.81 lbs (567.81 kg)
- 160 gallons of water weighs 1335.26 lbs (605.67 kg)
- 170 gallons of water weighs 1418.72 lbs (643.52 kg)
- 180 gallons of water weighs 1502.17 lbs (681.37 kg)
- 190 gallons of water weighs 1585.63 lbs (719.23 kg)
- 200 gallons of water weighs 1669.08 lbs (757.08 kg)
- 250 gallons of water weighs 2086.35 lbs (946.35 kg)
- 300 gallons of water weighs 2503.62 lbs (1135.62 kg)
- 350 gallons of water weighs 2920.89 lbs (1324.89 kg)
- 400 gallons of water weighs 3338.16 lbs (1514.16 kg)
- 450 gallons of water weighs 3755.43 lbs (1703.43 kg)
- 500 gallons of water weighs 4172.70 lbs (1892.70 kg)
- 1000 gallons of water weighs 8345.40 lbs (3785.41 kg)
- 2000 gallons of water weighs 16690.80 lbs (7570.82 kg)
- 3000 gallons of water weighs 25036.20 lbs (11356.23 kg)
- 4000 gallons of water weighs 33381.60 lbs (15141.64 kg)
- 5000 gallons of water weighs 41727.00 lbs (18927.05 kg)
- 6000 gallons of water weighs 50072.40 lbs (22712.46 kg)
- 7000 gallons of water weighs 58417.80 lbs (26497.87 kg)
- 8000 gallons of water weighs 66763.20 lbs (30283.28 kg)
- 9000 gallons of water weighs 75108.60 lbs (34068.69 kg)
- 10000 gallons of water weighs 83454.00 lbs (37854.10 kg)
Frequent-Asked Questions People also ask
How heavy is a 1 gallon water jug?
At room temperature, a US liquid gallon of fresh water weighs approximately 8.34 pounds (lb) or 3.785 kilograms (kg).
How much do 5 gallons of water weigh?
The equivalent of 41.7 pounds
One gallon of water typically weighs about 8.34 pounds or 3.77 kilograms at sea level, though this can vary depending on the temperature and the pressure being applied to it.
According to the information in this post, How much does 1 gallon of water weigh in liter?, five gallons of water will weigh roughly 41.7 pounds or 18.92 kilograms.
A gallon is 128 fluid ounces, or 3.785 liters, in the US.
Is a gallon of water heavier than a gallon of milk?
Milk often weighs more than water by a gallon. Milk weighs 8.6 pounds per gallon, compared to 8.35 pounds for a gallon of water.
Only 87% of a gallon of milk is made up of water; the remainder is made up of fats, proteins, lactose, minerals, micronutrients, and vitamins.
What liquid weighs the most on Earth? What is the heaviest liquid on Earth?
The heaviest liquid is mercury.
8.6 lb is how much a gallon of milk weighs.
A gallon of milk weighs 8.6 lb, and a quart of milk weighs 2.15 lb
What’s the weight of a gallon of gas?
Nearly six pounds
A gallon of gasoline weighs roughly six pounds.
Depending on the type of gasoline and its additives, there is a slight difference. Gasoline is 25% lighter than water, which weighs about 8.4 pounds per gallon.
The common misconception that all liquids weigh the same as water is that they all do.
How much does a gallon of water weigh in kg?
Are you curious about the weight of a gallon of water?
At 62°F (or 17°C), a US gallon weighs 8.34 pounds or 3.78 kilograms. Now that you know the answer, congratulations!
How much does a liter of water weigh?
One liter of water weighs 1 kg.
How much does water weigh?
According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology, a cup of water weighs approximately 224 grams (half a pound).
Approximately 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) or 1 liter of water weighs a liter, according to the United States Geological Survey. (USGS).
According to the USGS, a gallon of water weighs approximately 3.79 kilograms (8.35 pounds).
How much does a gallon of sand weigh?
Sand weighs about 12.5 pounds per gallon. (5.6 kg)
This weight is influenced by the materials in the sand, its moisture content, and the size of the sand particles.
How much does a half gallon of water weigh ~ how much does half gallon weigh?
The weight of a half-gallon of milk is roughly 4.23 lb. (1.92 kg).
What’s the weight of a quart of milk? The weight is approximately 3 lbs (1.36 kg), but not all varieties of cow’s milk have the same weight.
How much does a gallon of diesel weigh?
What’s the weight of a gallon of diesel fuel?
A gallon of diesel fuel sold in the United States weighs slightly less than seven pounds.