I always post my ingredients on my social handle asking my followers to make a wide guess on the food that I am about to prepare, and to my surprise many of them guessed right, Chicken and Shrimp fried rice.
Nigerian Chicken and Shrimp fried rice is the same food as normal Nigerian fried rice with a twist of adding chicken and shrimps as the main protein.
Rice is a well-liked dish and among the food served in Nigerian social gatherings, any gathering without rice either as fried rice, jollof rice or white rice is not complete.
Rice can be served with salad or with any kind of protein like Chicken and Shrimp.
You can use smoked shrimp, raw shrimp or cooked shrimps/prawns for this recipe. Chicken and Shrimp fried rice is a complete meal on its own. Do not buy Chicken and Shrimp fried rice near you when you can easily prepare it at home. The combination of Chicken and Shrimp in one pot is so enjoyable! If you have not tried this combination in a meal before, I strongly suggest you do so now. You will be surprised how fast this food will disappear from the table once served.
Table of Contents
Chicken and Shrimp Fried Rice Recipes
- Parboiled long grain Rice
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 3 Habanero peppers
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 5 Tbsp cooking oil
- Chicken breast
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Vegetables-carrots, peas, green beans, scallion
- And finally, Salt to taste
- Clean the chicken breast very well and season with half onion, garlic, two stock cubes, curry, thyme and salt
to taste. Boil until soft then drain and chop into small bite sizes and set aside.
- Wash the rice under running lukewarm water until clear then drain
- Pour chicken stock into a pot and add the drained rice into it and start cooking.
- Cook the rice till soft and with all the water absorbed. This takes about 30 minutes.
- Put off the heat and leave the pot covered for about 5 minutes.
- Pour oil into a large fry pan and heat it for about 2 minutes. Put in the shrimp to cook for about five minutes. Turn over the shrimp occasionally and take it out when done.
- The same applies to the chicken. Put the chicken into the oil to cook for about five minutes. Flip halfway through and take out the chicken when done.
- Next add a tablespoon of oil, followed by onions, garlic, thyme, carrots, peas, white pepper, curry and chicken bouillon powder and pepper sauce. Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Mix the stir-fried veggies with the rice, chicken and shrimp thoroughly.
Garnish with chopped scallion and serve.