French toast is sliced bread soaked in egg and sometimes milk before being fried to become brown. It can serve as a sandwich breakfast toast.
According to Wikipedia, the alternative names and variants include eggy bread, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast, poor knights, torrija and Arme Riddere.
It is known in France as pain perdu, which translates to “lost bread,” because it makes delicious use of leftover bread.
This recipe works best if you have old dry bread although you can use any type of bread you want.
The best kind of bread that works for this recipe is thick bread or bread that is not necessarily stale but firm.
Agege bread can be used for French toast.
Best French toast Recipe: How to Toast Bread with Frying Pan.
French toast Bread Ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cups of full cream powdered milk
- 8 thick slices of bread (better if slightly stale)
- Nutmeg (optional)
How Do You Make Easy French toast?
- Firstly, beat egg, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Then stir in milk.
- Secondly, dip bread in egg mixture, turning to coat both sides evenly.
- Lastly, cook bread slices on a lightly greased nonstick griddle or skillet on medium heat until browned on both sides.
On the other hand, you can achieve this in seconds without frying pan or baking, but by using a bread toast machine.
How do you use a toast machine?
- Firstly, slide one slice of bread into each toaster slot. You can also toast just one slice of bread.
- Secondly, set the toasting level. Use the adjustment knob on the front of the appliance to choose how dark you want the toast to be.
- After that, lower the lever to start the toasting cycle. Wait for the food to toast.
- Lastly, remove the food.
Is French toast Healthy?
All foods are healthy especially when eaten in moderation.
It contains carb with the bread and cinnamon and nutmeg that are beneficial to health.
There are milk and egg for vitamin D and protein. Also a little powdered sugar on top for energy.
How to Make French toast Not Soggy?
- Firstly, don’t go overboard with the milk.
- Secondly, if the milk becomes too much, the egg in the mixture won’t cook, meaning wet, soggy, bread.
- Lastly, am sure you want your toast to be dry on the surface with a slightly crisp edge.