Lost Herbs And Their Twi Names and Uses – Herbs Akan Names. Please Watch >>>>
- Twi names of Ghanaian herbs and plant
- Twi names for herbs and their uses
- Herbs and their Twi names
- Twi name for herbs
- Ghanaian herbs and their uses
- names of plants in Ghana
- Hyssop leaves in Twi
- List of herbs and their Twi names and uses. Herbs and their Akan names
Herbs In the Twi Language – Herbs And Their Twi Names
Ghana is home to a diverse range of medicinal plants. They have over 2,000 herbs having Twi or Akan names.
What exactly are herbs?
Herbs are the leaves of plants that are used in cooking; they can be fresh or dried.
A spice is any other part of the plant that has been dried. Barks (cinnamon), berries (peppercorns), seeds (cumin), roots (turmeric), flowers (chamomile), buds (cloves), and stigmas of flowers (saffron) are examples of these.
Herbs are an excellent method of adding flavor and color to any food or beverage, sweet or savory, without adding oil, salt, or sugar.
They each offer their own set of health-promoting characteristics in addition to flavor and color.
Fresh herbs have a delicate flavor, so add them in the last few minutes of cooking to get the most out of them.
Health benefits of herbs – Herbs And Their Twi Names
Herbs may aid in the prevention and management of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor characteristics, which may assist to prevent blood clots. Although research is ongoing, studies have revealed that:
- Garlic, linseed, fenugreek, and lemongrass may aid in cholesterol reduction.
- Garlic can help persons with somewhat high blood pressure.
- Fenugreek can aid in blood sugar and insulin activity regulation (as can linseed, flaxseed and cinnamon).
- Garlic, onions, chives, leeks, mint, basil, oregano, sage, and a variety of other herbs can aid in cancer prevention.
- Antioxidants in herbs, particularly cloves, cinnamon, sage, oregano, and thyme, aid in the reduction of low-density lipoproteins (‘bad’ cholesterol).
What is Twi Language and who are the people that speak it? Herbs And Their Twi Names
“Twi, also known as Akan Kasa, or Akan-speak, is a dialect of the Akan language spoken by millions of people in southern and central Ghana, primarily of the Akan people, the largest of Ghana’s seventeen major ethnic groups,” according to Wikipedia.
The Twi language is spoken by roughly 17–18 million people in Ghana, including second-language speakers; Twi is spoken as a first or second language by about 80% of the population. Twi is a tonal language, like other West African languages.”
Herbs and their Twi names and uses
- African tuliptree – Kokonisuo
2. Gold coast bombax – AkonkodeE
3. Poison devils pepper – Kakapenpen
4. Paullinia pinnata – Tuantini
5. Alstonia boonei – Nyame dua
6. Siam weed – Acheampong
7. Morind lucida – Konkroma/ngo ne nkyene
8. Poaceae – Abirekyire abodwese
9. Deinbollia grandifolia – Asikoto
10.Pycnanthus angolensis – OteE
11.Pisonia aculeata – Akobowere
12.Scent leaf – Nunum
13.Justicia flava – Afema
14.Jute mallow – Ayoyo
15.Balm – Emee (emmanex herbs)
16.Punarnava – Aposumpo
17.Negro pepper – Hwentia
18.Indian-almond – Abrofo nkate
19.Wireweed – Obrane atu ata
20. Lantana Camara- Ananse dokono
21.Nettle – Honhon/Bonhon
22.Cloves – pepre or dadoa amba
23.Mistletoe – Nkranpan
24.Anise – Nkitinkiti
25.Purslane – Adwera
26.Wormweed – Ahahanhene
27.Griffonia – Kagya
28.Stinking weed – Nkodaankodaa brodeE
29.Anthocleista nobilis – Owudifuokete
30.Phyllanthaceae – Bowommaguwakyi
31.Abelmosk -Okra/ nkruma
32.Yellow Oleander – nnye me nnyere me (do not take me and bind me )
33. Butterfly pea annanse trumuhoma
34. India almond -abrofo nkatie
35. Nettle – bonhon or honhon
36. Basil – Akoko Mesa
37. African nutmeg – wedie abain
38. Guinea pepper – efon wisa
39. African locust beans – dawadawa
40. Fennel seed – Nkitinkiti
41. Mint leaves – nunum
42. Scotch bonnet pepper – kpakposhito
43. Alligator pepper – Efon wisa
44. Stinking fish – momone
45. Ginger – akekaduro
46. Black pepper – esoro wisa
47..purslane – adwera
48. Mucuna pruriens – aduapia
49. Amaranthus spinosus – Nkasenkase
Every Ghanaian should know the Twi names for common plants and herbs.
Please help us with the twi names of these plants or herbs found in Ghana.
2. Rosemary spices.
4. Dill seed.
7. Orange pill.
8. Bergamot Mint
9. Ginger oil.
11. Sage plant
13. Curry leaves
14. Black pepper
15. Parsley leaf
16. Twi name for fenugreek seed
17. Twi name for chia seed
18. Organo plant
The Twi name bay leaf has piqued the imagination of many people.
What are some of the most common herbs? Herbs And Their Twi Names
11 Herbs You Should Always Have in Your Kitchen
- Basil. Here’s a big-hitter herb that’s one of the most important.
- Rosemary. The perfume of this Mediterranean native herb is the strongest of all.
What are the 10 herbal remedies? Herbs And Their Twi Names
The DOH-PITAHC has recognized ten medicinal plants that have been scientifically evaluated to ensure their safety and efficacy. Acapulco, Ampalaya (Makiling variety), Lagundi (five leaflets), Bawang, Bayabas, Sambong, Niyug-niyogan, Tsaang-gubat, Yerba Buena, and Ulasimang bato are some of the most popular (pansit-pansitan).
What herbs are used for medicinal purposes?
A Guide to Common Medicinal Herbs
- (Flower) Considered by some to be a cure-all, chamomile is commonly used in the U.S. for anxiety and relaxation
- Echinacea (Leaf, stalk, root)
- Feverfew (Leaf)
- Gingko (Leaf)
- Ginseng (Root)
- Garlic (Cloves, root)
- Ginger (Root)
- Goldenseal (Root, rhizome)
The Bottom Line on Herbs And Their Twi Names
Culinary herbs are herbaceous plants that are used to flavor and color a wide variety of dishes.
- Herbs have been used to flavor food, as medicine, and as a preservative for thousands of years.
- Use herbs to enhance the flavor of practically any dish, even sweets, if you find low-fat or low-salt items dull.
- Because fresh herbs have a delicate flavor, add them to your dish just before serving.