Homemade ice cream is a soft, sweet frozen food made with milk and cream and typically flavored with vanilla, (the king of ice cream flavors) fruit, or other ingredients.
There is nothing better to scoop on a hot day than homemade ice cream. The recipe can be pretty intimidating affair like the Mochi / Thai-Style ‘Rolled Ice Cream’- but the results can be so worth it.
Please Read: How to Make Coconut Milk at Home
Although, it is easier to just pop in the shops and get yourself a tub of your precious ice cream brand or order online from ice cream delivery near you.
But there is so much pleasure and satisfaction in whipping it up from time to time at home, especially when guests are around.
How to Make Homemade Ice Cream
Learn how to make homemade ice cream from a fresh vanilla custard base with or without an ice cream machine. This can be a fantastic fun DIY project or just a way to satisfy a frozen craving.
Making Ice Cream with an Egg Custard Base / Easy Ice Cream Recipe
This ice cream is a classic, if not the classic. It uses egg yolks to both thicken the milky ice cream base and gives the finished ice cream a richer taste and creamier mouthfeel.
However, the more egg yolks you use, the richer and creamier your ice cream will be but if you use fewer yolks your ice cream will taste lighter, milkier, and a bit less smooth. I like a ratio of four yolks to three cups of dairy.
Ice Cream Ingredients
- 400 mls fresh milk (not evaporated milk)
- 150 mls whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 40 g sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod
- Firstly, start by making the custard base. Divide the vanilla pod using a small, sharp knife. Scrape out the vanilla seeds. Then, add the seeds and pod to the milk and cream.
- Secondly, allow the milk, cream and vanilla pod to boil. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for at least 10 minutes.
- Thirdly, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- After that, reheat the cream mixture until nearly boiling. Strain and whisk into the egg mixture until completely mixed in.
- Then, pour the custard back into the pan and cook on the lowest heat, stirring slowly and continuously for about 10 minutes until thickened. When done, the custard should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Carefully, strain the custard into a bowl and allow cooling, and then churn until scoopable.
- Finally, transfer to a container to freeze before serving.
If you do not have an ice cream machine, transfer your cooled custard to the container. Whisk after 2-3 hours to break down any ice crystals, return to the freezer until frozen.
What Are The Most Popular Ice Cream Toppings?
There seem to be endless topping options here’s the top 10 flavors and some great toppings to enhance that ice cream of yours!
Toppings to try out: Strawberry sauce, butterscotch, sprinkles.
Toppings to try out: Hot fudge, cookie crumbles, strawberries.
- Cookies N’ Cream
Toppings to try out: Cookie dough, caramel sauce, sea salt. Anything to enhance the cookies already in the ice cream!
- Mint chocolate chip
Toppings to try out: Chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings, and Oreos!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Toppings to try out: Chocolate sauce, peanut butter cups, raspberries.
- Buttered Pecan
Toppings to try out: Crushed toffee pieces, blueberries, and popcorn.
- Cookie dough
Different from its chocolate counterpart, this ice cream focuses only on the vanilla and cookie dough flavors. Toppings to try out: Fresh blueberries, caramel sauce, MandMs.
Toppings to try out: Caramel sauce, pineapple, gummy bears.
- Moose tracks
Toppings to try out: Butterscotch, whipped cream, cookie dough. Might as well go all out!
Ice Cream Places/ Shops near Me
Many ice-cream shops have sprung up in Lagos in recent years and Lagosians love ice cream. The demand for the best creamy has led to a thriving ice cream business in the city.
Below are my five best cream shops near me
- Coldstone Creamery
- Ice Cream Factory
- Hans and Rene Gelateria
- Chocolate Royale
- Sweet Kiwi
Ice Cream in Pregnancy
Soft ice creams should be fine to eat when you’re pregnant, as they are processed products made with pasteurized milk and eggs thereby eliminating any risk of salmonella food poisoning.
For homemade ice cream, use a pasteurized egg substitute or follow an egg-free recipe.
Ice Cream and Weight Gain
Most commercially made ice cream is high in sugar and fat and it’s often eaten as a dessert thereby adding a lot of extra calories to meals.
Can I Eat Ice Cream While Trying To Lose Weight?
The diet suggests that you can add the sweet creamy treat to your daily life and still lose weight.
This isn’t because ice cream contains any magic weight-loss powers, but because you’re otherwise eating healthfully and limiting calories.
In addition to ice cream, dieters are given low-fat, high-fiber meal plans.