Baked catfish is oven-roasted and garnished with herbs and peppers for a tasty, healthy, low carb dish!
Baking your catfish is much easier, with no worry of oil getting everywhere. And I propose to cook the catfish, baked whole in the oven.
Catfish is a staple in Nigerian cuisine. It can be fried, baked and grilled with an assortment of seasonings and has a less fishy taste than other varieties of fish.
Table of Contents
Baked Catfish Nuggets
A whole catfish can be baked in the oven and covered with spices likewise the nuggets.
Catfish nuggets are small pieces of catfish that are sold in the seafood section in the supermarket.
They have no bones in them, they are like fillets cut into pieces.
Catfish nuggets are typically very cheap, but very tasty if cooked using the correct cooking time.
The basic step is to purchase a quality Catfish.
Do not buy pre-frozen varieties and make sure the catfish is raw if not you will be left with a rubbery fish and an exceedingly fishy taste.
If you’re looking for a fish that’s tasty, low in calories and fat, and high in protein-catfish could be your answer.
A 3-ounce serving of catfish contains approximately 1 gram of saturated fat, 100 calories and 13 grams of protein
While many varieties of catfish exist, restaurants and seafood/local markets typically offer channel catfish.
Baked Catfish Recipe
Best baked catfish meat is very soft and tender, but you must cook it right.
This is because catfish is a river fish and its meat has a characteristic river smell.
Above all, don’t be apprehensive-it is super easy, and crazy delicious.
- 1 catfish
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ onions
- ½ ginger root
- 1 habanero pepper
- ½ sprig thyme leaves
- 1 sprig sage
- ½ sprig dill
- Firstly, preheat oven to 400. Blend the bell pepper, habanero, and onions. Then, add the ginger, garlic and any herbs of choice and blend.
- Secondly, add salt and stir. Then, clean the fish using lemon to reduce the fishy smell. After that, make shallow slices on the fish, about 3 – 4 on both sides.
- Thirdly, scoop about half of the pureed mixture into these holes and in the center slit. Then, keep the other half to use later.
- Fourthly, wrap the fish completely in a foil and place it in the bottom rack of the oven for 45 minutes.
- Now, open the foil at the top and leave the fish in for another 5 minutes.
- Lastly, bring out the fish from the oven and garnish with the sauce or drizzle with olive oil if you don’t want to use the sauce.
What do you eat with baked catfish/what side dish go with catfish?
- Braised greens like mustard or collard, sweet and sour style
- Macaroni and cheese
- Potato salad
- Red beans and rice.
- Pickled watermelon rinds.
- Lots of hot sauce!
You can serve a whole, oven-baked catfish as a healthy alternative to meat.