Plantain Chips Recipe ~ How to Build Chips Business in Nigeria
Watch How to Make It >>>>>
What are plantain chips ~ they are a crunchy snack made from ripe or unripe plantains or a combination of the two? It is also known as sweet banana chips and is suitable for people of all ages.
Making homemade fried plantain chips is easy and fun. All you need is green plantain, salt, and cayenne pepper.
Did you know that you can make unripe plantain chips at home? That is so true. They’re even easier to make than most Nigerian snacks, in my opinion.
We can’t get enough of homemade sweet tasty chips as a family. It feels like we’ve been trapped even before I make it. We keep eating and eating and eating and only stop when it is all finished!
Table of Contents
Here are some of the ways to use plantains:
- Air fryer
You can also explore these plantain recipes too:
- Plantain Recipe | Plantain Chips Production | Plantain Chips for Sale
- 12 Plantain Health Benefits & Nutritional Values | Side effects
- Plantain Flour: a healthy substitute for other flours
- Plantain Vs. Banana: Difference Between Banana and Plantain
Is Plantain Chip Good for You? Are they Healthy?
The chips are healthy especially when baked (rather than fried) and they contain complex carbohydrates as well as some fat.
They’re crunchy and salty, and they’ll satisfy your hunger.
Moreover, when you make them at home, you can use high-quality oils such as avocado or coconut.
Plantain chips nutrition
These tasty crunch come in two main forms, just like potato chips, baked and dried, or fried.
They’re high in fat and calories; on the other hand, they do contain fiber, and vitamins and are usually low in sodium.
Snacks, plantain chips, salted – 10 chips
- 4% Total Fat 2.5g.
- 4% Saturated Fat 0.7g.
- 0% Cholesterol 0mg.
- 1% Sodium 17mg.
- 2% Potassium 66mg.
- 2% Total Carbohydrates 5.4g.
- 1% Dietary Fiber 0.3g.
- Protein 0.2g.
Ripe vs. Unripe Plantain Chips ~ How to Make Plantain Chips at Home ~
Plantain Chips are crispy Nigerian snacks made from ripe or unripe plantains.
Green plantains produce more crunchy chips because they crisp better, whereas ripe plantains produce sweeter-tasting chips that may not be as crisp as their green counterpart.
However, if you choose to use ripe ones, make sure they are just ripe and not overly ripe so that you get the desired crisp and crunch.
The Chips made from unripe plantains are bright yellow in color, whereas those made from ripe plantains are deep yellow.
Please keep in mind that these are not made with bananas. In Nigeria, bananas are not cooked, fried, or roasted.
What Makes Plantain Chips Popular
Spicy plantain chips (alloco, dodo, or chicharritas) are made by deep-frying thinly sliced green plantains until crisp and golden and then seasoning them.
Plantains are an excellent carb alternative to potatoes because they grow well in the tropics, where potatoes cannot.
Because we all love chips, they are popular in tropical countries such as Africa, the Americas, and the Caribbean.
I used to enjoy buying tasty snacks from local vendors. But nowadays, I’m excited to get into my kitchen and make some homemade plantain chips.
Plantain chips recipe ~ how to make
It’s easy to make and makes a tasty snack! So, how do you go about making plantain chips? It is quite simple.
You peel the plantains first, then slice them thinly and deep fry them to perfection. Then fun eating!
Despite the fact that no recipe is somehow required, it is highly addictive. They won’t be around for long!
Fried Plantain Chips Recipe
Fried green plantain chips lightly seasoned with salt and pepper are a popular snack throughout the Caribbean, Central, and South America.
Cutting uniform slices for even cooking is the key to success.
Plantain Recipe Ingredients
Plantains, specifically green plantains, make the best, crispiest plantain chips in town.
- Seasonings – I like to season these chips with paprika, salt, and pepper. It’s a simple combination, but it’s delicious.
- Oil – You only need a small amount of canola oil to bake the plantain chips. If you want to fry them, you’ll need plenty of your favorite frying oil.
How to Make Plantain Chips
- Peel the plantain by cutting both ends off with a sharp knife. Remove the peel by slicing a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain.
- Thinly slice the plantains.
- Season the plantain slices with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Meanwhile, heat up a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet with a ½ inch of oil on medium-high heat.
- Fry the plantain slices in batches, turning once, for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Lastly, remove the fried plantains from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, store in a sealed container or serve with any dip of choice, whole foods, or as a snack.
Tips and Tricks for Always Making Crispy, Tasty Homemade Plantain Chips
- Avoid using overripe plantains.
While I prefer ripe plantain chips to unripe plantain chips, overripe plantains are unsuitable for plantain chips.
Look at them as bananas: if they look like they are ready to be used for banana bread, or are ready to go into the freezer for a smoothie, then it’s too ripe.
Again, if the plantain is mostly black and hardly yellow, then it’s too ripe also.
- If you aren’t a knife expert, don’t be afraid to use a mandolin slicer.
- Check that your oil is at the proper temperature. Precisely, between 350 – 375 degrees Fahrenheit. If your oil is too hot, the plantain chips will be too limp or chewy and hard; if your oil is too hot, the plantain will simply burn quickly.
- Constantly flip the plantain chips!
Flip the chips as often as possible while they are frying. This can be accomplished by gently moving the chips around the oil with a kitchen spider. I’m not sure why this works, but it does.
- Keep an eye on the color and listen for the sizzle.
The color (golden brown for ripe plantains, lightly gold for unripe plantains) and level of sizzling will indicate when the chips are ready to come out of the oil.
When the plantain chips are done, they sizzle much less in the oil than when they are not. Try it… you’ll notice that the sizzling almost comes to a halt.
- Allow cooling completely before serving.
Even if the chips are crisp right out of the oil, it is best to allow them to cool completely before serving to achieve ULTIMATE CRISPNESS.
- Another tip for frying plantains is to keep the pan from becoming overcrowded. Overcrowding causes the oil temperature to drop and the frying time to increase, making your chips soggy from absorbing too much oil.
- Make-Ahead Instructions
This recipe can easily be made a day ahead of time. Allow the chips to cool slightly before storing them in an airtight container. They will keep it for 5 days.
Nigerian Plantains chips recipe are an excellent snack for anyone following a gluten-free or paleo diet. Do you concur? I’d love to know and eagerly await your response.
People also ask
How to Make & Build a Plantain Chips Business in Nigeria
How Do You Make Nigeria Commercial Plantain Chips?
The Production Process For Industrial Chips Is Given Below:
- Sorting or De-fingering of plantain
- Counting of Plantain fingers
- Washing and Peeling of Plantains
- Portioning of Sliced Plantain for Frying
- Add Post Frying Condiments And Cool
- Marketing And Sales
How can I start plantain chips at home?
How to Start a Successful Plantain Chips Production Business
- Preliminary Preparation. In this stage, make thorough research into the business
- Secure a Good Location
- Get necessary utensils and equipment
- Raw material and ingredients
- Branding and Packaging
- Sales and marketing
Recipe ~ How are plantain chips done?
- Firstly, peel the plantains
- Slice the plantains into chips using a mandoline slicer, the slicing side of a box grater, or just cut thinly with a knife
- Then, in a small bowl, mix a quarter cup of water and the salt
- After that, put oil in a deep pan up to 4 inches high
- Once the chips are cold, enjoy!
How do you make plantain chips crunchy?
- First and foremost, wash and peel off the plantain skin.
- Then, in a bowl of water, slice the plantain into thin round shape slices using your vegetable slicer, after slicing add salt and turn to mix properly.
- Finally, drain out the water using a sieve, after that, allow draining before frying.
How can you make strong plantain chips?
Make sure your oil is at the proper temperature, which should be between 350 and 375 degrees F.
If your oil is too hot, the plantain chips will be too limp or chewy and hard; if your oil is too hot, the plantain will simply burn quickly.
Preservation ~How long can plantain chips be stored?
The current maximum shelf life of the products (plantain chips and corn pops) without any additives or preservatives is four (4) months.
The company will therefore require technical assistance to increase the shelf life of its products from four months to a year.
Are plantain chips healthy?
Are these tasty chips nutritious? Yes, they are a delicious healthy snack!
Because they are baked, they are lower in fat and calories than deep-fried plantain chips, and because you make them at home, you can use a high-quality, healthy oil like olive or coconut oil to make your chips.
How long should plantain chips be dehydrated?
Place the plantain chips on the dehydrator trays and into the dehydrator.
Allow the plantain chips to dehydrate for 10-12 hours, or until completely dry, before allowing them to cool completely.
Serve and have fun!
How much capital do I require to launch a plantain chip business in Nigeria?
You will need start-up capital of at least N500, 000 to N1, 000, 000 to start a successful plantain chips business in Nigeria.
Process ~ How are brown plantain chips made?
- Wash, trim both ends and peel plantain.
- Using a grater/slicer/knife, cut into thin slices. Mix in the ginger powder gently.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and fry until golden brown. If the chip was thinly sliced, it should float while cooking.
- As the Plantain Chips cool, they harden. Store in an airtight container once cool.
Is plantain more nutritious than potato?
Cooked plantains are nutritionally similar to potatoes in terms of calories, but contain more vitamins and minerals.
They’re high in fibre, vitamins A, C, and B-6, as well as the minerals magnesium and potassium
What is the best way to use a plantain slicer?
The plantain slicer machine has a rotor panel and motor that cut the plantain into a predetermined shape.
The peeled plantains are inserted through an opening, and the slicing is done automatically.
Following that, the sliced plantain is transferred to a collecting bowl.
Which plantain variety is used to make plantain chips?
Green plantain variety, salt, and black pepper are all you need. Despite the fact that no recipe is required, it is highly addictive.
Can you freeze raw plantains?
Plantains must be peeled before freezing. You can slice them before freezing them so they are ready to use.
To avoid browning, freeze your sliced bananas in a teaspoon of lemon juice.
How do you preserve ripe plantains without a freezer bag?
How to Preserve Ripe Plantain
- Firstly, peel the ripe plantain and slice to desired shapes
- Then, heat up some Soya Bean oil in a frying pan for about 2 minutes
- After that, put the sliced plantain into the heated soya bean oil and fry until golden brown.
- Now, place on a paper sheet to drain excess oil and allow complete cooling.
Can you eat raw plantains?
Ripe plantains are sweeter than bananas but lack the banana flavor. They can be eaten raw, but they are best fried.
The edges caramelize and crisp up like the edges of butter-cooked pancakes.
Do plantain chips cause weight gain?
They’re mostly carbohydrates, with 63.8 grams of carbs in every 100 gramme serving.
Dietary fiber accounts for only 3.5 grams, resulting in 60.3 net carbs per serving. Plantain chips contain 26.9 grams of fat per 100 grams, 8.3 grams of which are saturated fat.
Are Trader Joe’s plantain chips healthy? Trader Joes plantain chips
While plantains have higher carbohydrate content than some other bases, these chips are made with high-oleic sunflower oil, which contains healthy, monounsaturated fats.
Can plantain make you gain weight?
Do plantains cause weight gain? No. Plantains, in fact, can be a great addition to your diet.
They are high-fiber fruit that will slow digestion and make you feel “fuller” for longer periods of time.
Can I eat plantain chips while dieting?
Plantain can aid in weight loss.
100g of plantain contains about 8% of the recommended daily fiber intake. Fiber does not have any fat-burning properties.
However, it aids in weight loss because high-fiber foods tend to be low in calories
Are Plantain chips fried or dehydrated?
The crunchy chips can be prepared in a variety of ways.
They obviously work well in the dehydrator. This is an excellent recipe for an oil-free version.
Sautéing them in a frying pan, baking them in the oven, or air frying them are other options.
Is sugar added to plantain chips?
There are no additional ingredients: Pre-packaged chips are frequently high in sugar and additives.
You know there are only three ingredients in this recipe if you make them at home.
How do you fry unripe plantain?
In a deep 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet, heat 1/2 inch oil over medium heat until just hot enough to sizzle when a piece of plantain is added.
Fry plantains in two batches, turning with tongs occasionally, until tender and golden, 5 to 7 minutes per batch.
How do you slice thin plantains?
- Peel the green bananas or green plantains, taking care not to stain your clothes or cutting board.
- Slice the bananas or plantains lengthwise, full length or half-length, or as thin rounds or thin diagonal ovals, using a mandolin to achieve the desired thinness.
Do you soak your plantains before frying them?
Tostones, or pan-fried green plantains, are almost the national dish of Cuba.
Soaking the tostones in salt water before the final fry makes them crunchier on the outside and moister on the inside, but this step is optional
Do you peel your plantains before frying them?
Peel the plantains as described in the previous post. Plantain should be cut into 1-inch round pieces.
Fry the plantain rounds in hot oil until they are halfway done on each side. Do not overcook them, only about 1 minute on each side.
Your crunchy plantain chips or pekere is ready
What chips are the healthiest?
8 best healthy chips
- Barnana pink salt chips
- Jackson’s Honest sweet potato chips
- Safe + Fair olive oil and sea salt popcorn quinoa chips
- Brad’s veggie chips
- Forager Project grain-free greens chips
- Lesser Evil Paleo Puffs.
- Made in Nature Veggie Pops
- Siete tortilla chips
Can dogs have plantain chips?
The crunchy chips are safe for dogs to eat as long as they don’t have too much salt or any harmful spices on them.
Garlic, onion, and anything spicy, such as chili powder, should not be fed to dogs.