Pot roast is an affordable, lean cut of beef that is first browned in a skillet then stewed in a pot or slow-cooker with broth and vegetables.
This 3-Ingredient slow cooker pot roast is moist, flavorful and very tender. When in doubt on how to cook meat, use a crock pot. They fix everything!
Pot roast generally cooks, or braises, for hours, until the tough meat becomes fall-apart tender, savory, and moist.
The potatoes and carrots are an optional step. You add them in later and let them cook for some hours.
As the recipe name implies there are just three ingredients…
- 3 to 4-pound beef pot roast (nice chuck roast that has been trimmed well of any excess fat),
- A can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (low sodium is great here)
- And a cup of beef broth (low sodium is better).
And that is it. You just dump those three things in a 5 quart or larger slow cooker and let it cook away for 8 hours on LOW.
Also, this recipe can be made into a quick and easy “dump and go” freezer meal.
When in need, pull out of the freezer, pop it all in the slow cooker and cook it all day while you are at work.
How to Cook Pot Roast
There are two major ways of cooking pot roast:
- Slow cooker or Crock-pot: The easiest way to cook a pot roast is in a slow cooker or Crockpot.
Add whatever ingredients you need, set the slow cooker on low, and you’ll have a delicious roast in about eight hours.
- In the oven: This is a traditional method with your oven or on the stovetop using a Dutch oven.
3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- 2-pound beef roast
- 5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Firstly, turn the slow cooker on low.
- Secondly, place roast in the slow cooker.
- Then, pour cream of mushroom soup over roast then sprinkle the onion soup mix over roast.
- After that, cook on low 8 hours.
- Finally serve hot.
You can also make sandwiches out of the roast.
Calories: 241 kcal | Carbohydrates: 5 g | Protein: 24 g | Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Cholesterol: 80 mg | Sodium: 757 mg | Potassium: 459 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 15 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 28 mg | Iron: 3 mg
If you enjoyed this slow cooker recipe, you may like this similar instant pot recipe too.