Aloe Vera benefits and its plant is among the most commonly valued ingredients in the world of Ayurveda. Known as Ghritkumari in Hindi.
Aloe Vera plant is a popular medicinal plant in Nigeria that has been used for thousands of years for medicinal, cultural, religious, and culinary purposes.
The botanical name is Aloe barbadensis miller. It belongs to Asphodelaceae (Liliaceae) family. The sap from is particularly rich in antioxidants and active ingredients that can confer many benefits to the body likewise the leaves.
What is Aloe Barbadensis Miller
It is a succulent cactus-like plant that grows in hot, dry climates. It is also called aloe and it produces two substances, gel, and latex, which are used for medicines.
The gel or Aloe Vera juice is the clear, jelly-like substance found inside the leaf obtained by breaking off a stalk to extract the gel-like substance within.
It is then either applied topically to the skin and hair or ingested. The gel can also be combined with other natural ingredients to form part of your health or beauty routine.
While Aloe latex is a thin layer of yellow liquid between the skin and the gel of the leaf. It contains compounds with powerful laxatives properties, such as aloin also known as barbaloin.
Some aloe products are made from the whole crushed Aloe Vera leaf, so they contain both the gel and latex.
Aloe vera powder is creamy to off white in color with a slight smell. It is spray dried from the juice of the leaves of the Aloe Vera plant. It is added to lotions, hair sprays, creams, baby oil, nutritional supplements, and pet care product.
11 Amazing Aloe Vera Benefits
A well-loved plant in many households with amazing benefits; no wonder the Egyptians call it the plant of immortality. Below are aloe vera uses:
- One of the benefits of eating Aloe vera latex is because it serves as a laxative for constipation.
- It is also used to alleviate some medical conditions like seizure, bleeding, lack of a menstrual period, asthma, colds, swelling of the colon (colitis).
- Aloe vera gel can be taken orally to aid weight loss and diabetes or treat inflammatory diseases. It can also be used topically to ease skin irritations such as sunburn, stings, acne, or dry skin.
- Aloe vera also helps with depression, diabetes, osteoarthritis and vision problems. Fresh aloe leaves are taken by mouth for cancer treatment.
- Aloe vera contains a chemical called Acemannan which has many nutritional qualities and is largely responsible for the benefits aloe vera offers
- The soothing benefits of aloe vera for hair are fantastic for a dry or itchy scalp. Forever aloe vera is also a great mask to alleviate some of the irritation caused by harsh chemicals especially if you die your hair.
- The mask is a pre-shampoo treatment and can be applied to dry hair.
- Aloe vera is used to clear acne overnight. Aloe Vera is popular for its intense skin care properties. The powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties aids in treating pimples, scars and skin damage.
- Aloe vera extract and aloe vera gel are also applied to the skin for genital herpes, scaly and itchy skin, burns, sunburns, and dry skin.
- Aloe extract is applied to the skin as an insecticide while Aloe leaf juice is applied to the skin for anal fissures.
- Pad soaked in aloe vera and freezes for hours has the best post-birth recovery hack
How to Make Fresh Aloe Vera Juice Or Gel At Home
Follow these simple steps:
- First, gently scoop out the gel with a spoon. The best way is cutting off the major portions using a knife and scraping off the remaining gel using a spoon.
- Secondly, put that aloe pulp into a container and refrigerate. For an even and smooth gel, blend it and store.
- That is it. Your aloe vera drink is ready.
Aloe Vera Juice Benefits?
- First, the plant is well known as a laxative. Actually, the juice is used to relieve constipation and clean the digestive system.
- Other benefits of aloe vera juice, aloe vera powder and other forms of aloe vera products, include: boosting the immune system, reducing infections, wound healing and controlling blood sugar levels.
- While some studies show the juice to have potential health benefits, there are also side effects, so talk to your doctor before using it.
Aloe Vera Side Effects
- To determine the safety of aloe vera is difficult because there are so many different products and preparations out there.
- However, according to the Natural Standard Research Collaboration (NSRC), topical application of extract or aloe vera gel is safe for mild to moderate skin conditions, burns, wounds, and inflammation
- The NSRC also resolved that taking aloe vera gel to decrease blood sugar levels and aloe latex as a laxative is safe. Nevertheless, with any laxative, prolonged use can be dangerous.
- Do not use aloe vera if you have any allergies to the Liliaceae family (garlic, onions, and tulips), or pregnant, low blood sugar, or are on medication — always check with your medical doctor first
ALOE VERA OIL
The oil is obtained using a macerating method. Basically, aloe Vera is infused in a carrier oil for several weeks. It is not 100 % aloe vera, but a kind of infused oil.
Coconut oil is the most usually used carrier oil because of its health benefits. Coconut oil and Aloe vera make a great combination.
However, it is better to switch to other carrier oils on the condition that you react to coconut oil.
HOW TO MAKE ALOE VERA OIL
HEAT METHOD: To make aloe vera oil, you need ½ cup fresh aloe vera gel and ½ cup coconut oil. Put aloe vera gel in a vessel and mash it properly using a fork or spoon until you see no lumps.
Now add coconut oil to it and mix properly. Put the vessel on a double boiler and heat it on a medium flame for 10-15 minutes with occasional stirring.
Finally.pour the aloe vera oil in a dark bottle and refrigerate it. Add 2 or 3 drops of your favorite essential oil to the above ingredients and mix well.
Aloe Vera Oil Benefits
Since aloe oil has the health properties of the original aloe plant, it contains anti-viral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, and astringent activity. Similar to aloe vera gel, aloe oil is also known for its ability to promote hair and skin health
What is Aloe Vera Tea?
The tea comes from the sap of an aloe plant. Please contact your physician before taking any herbal supplements, such as this tea
How Aloe Vera Tea Is Made
The tea can be done in two ways. The most known method is the tea made from the dried sap removed from the leaves. The sap can be added to any tea or used on its own.
On the other hand, the dried bright yellow flower of the plant may be used as a tea; but this does not have the same flavor or benefits as the first method.
Aloe Vera Tea Benefits
The uses ranges from relieving constipation and treating high cholesterol and abdominal pain, to regulating blood sugar in diabetics.
Aloe Vera Gel for Skin Lightening
Aloe vera gel benefit for the face is also said to increase cell turnover, which helps reduce hyper pigmentation and skin discolorations that make skin appear dull and dark.
One of these compounds anthraquinones helps remove dead cells, heal skin irritation and brighten the skin.
How Do We Use Aloe Vera To Whiten The Skin?
First, grind 2 tablespoons of aloe Vera gel, some cottage cheese, cucumber, dates and lemon juice to make a fine paste.
Then using a cotton ball, apply the mixture over the skin. After 15 – 20 minutes, rinse off with water.
Combine Aloe Vera with These to Whiten Skin Fast
Achieving a radiant skin is one of the basics of looking beautiful. The good news is that Aloe vera plant has a great amount of antioxidants making it one of the best skin lighteners from nature.
- Rose Water
This combination helps to reduce the pigmentation caused by pollution and dirt.
- Honey and Turmeric
In this combination, aloe Vera hydrates the skin, honey nourishes the skin and turmeric lightens the skin.
Lemons have natural bleaching (skin lightening) properties which lighten the skin, and aloe vera hydrates and nourishes the skin.
- Tomato and Orange Lentil
Tomato contains natural bleaching (skin lightening) properties, orange lentil clears excess oil and aloe vera hydrates the skin.
Natural bleaching properties of cucumber lighten the skin and aloe vera hydrates the skin.
This combination makes an amazing pack that helps to refresh, detoxify and remove impurities from the skin.
Almond helps to treat damaged skin and prevents rapid aging.
- Shea Butter
This method works wonders in restoring moisture and glow. It is beneficial for people with a combination skin type.
- Gram Flour
This combination repairs the damage caused by the sun and replenishes moisture content in skin cells.
- Orange Peel
This combination nourishes the skin and helps in reducing wrinkles and fine lines.
- Sandalwood Powder
This process reduces skin tan caused by sun exposure and replenishes the skin cells.
- Rice Flour
This combination forms an excellent exfoliating pack which removes the dead skin in the safest way.
Aloe Vera Plant Care: The Vital Plant Care
It is very easy to grow indoors as a potted plant and makes an amazing houseplant. Another benefit of growing this houseplant is that it purifies the air in our homes.
The plant can live for many years when properly taken care of.
How Fast Does Aloe Vera Plant Grow?
The plants grow faster outdoors than when kept indoors as houseplants.
Tips for Aloe Vera Plant Care
They are very easy houseplants to grow, and they grow very well in pots.
There’s not much to it, because aloe vera plant thrives on neglect.
However, the two most important parts of aloe vera plant care are proper watering and lighting.
This write up is for awareness purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatments. Please always consult your health care provider before taking any health decisions.