A low-carb diet in Nigeria or low carbohydrate diet means that you eat a smaller amount of carbohydrates and a higher quantity of fat. It is also referred to as being a low-carb, high-fat diet (LCHF) or a keto diet.
It is a common knowledge that fat is damaging to our health but studies now show that there’s no reason to fear natural fats.
Fat is our friend, a low-carb food entails you to eat all the fat you need to feel satisfied and minimize your intake of sugar and starches. Most people on a low carbohydrate diet plan eat delicious foods until they are satisfied and still lose weight.
How does low carb diet work?
Studies show that a low-carb diet for weight loss can make it easier to lose weight and to control your blood sugar, among other benefits
When you stay away from sugar and starches, your blood sugar begins to normalize and the levels of the fat-storing hormone insulin drop.
This increases fat burning in your body and makes you to feel more satiated, thereby, reducing food intake and causing weight loss.
West African cabbage salad is a low carb high fat diet food that is very good at improving your health. It is a delicious Nigerian low carb meal and a weight loss diet that is native to the Ndi Igbo (people from Igbo land).
In preparing this West African food, cabbage takes the center stage, unlike the popular African salad where abacha/ cassava flakes and ugba/ukpaka made from oil bean seed are used.
Consuming fruits and vegetables of all kinds has long been associated with a reduced risk of many adverse health conditions and cabbage is not an exception. Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Health Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage benefits include its frequent use as a treatment for stomach ulcers, constipation, headaches, skin disorders, obesity, eczema, scurvy and jaundice.
Regular consumption of healthy cabbage and cabbage soup also helps to delay the onset of rheumatism, arthritis, gout, heart disease, eye disorder, and Alzheimer’s diseases
West African Cabbage Salad Recipe
Keto low carb diet recipe ingredients include:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Ugba (ukpaka)
- Palm oil
- Powdered Potash
- Dry/roasted fish
- Onion, chopped
- Salt and dry pepper
- Ground crayfish
- Stock cubes
- Garden Egg Leaves(akwukwo anara)
- Ground Ehu seeds
- Firstly, dissolve the ground akaun (potash) in about 3-4 tablespoonful of water and pass through a sieve to remove particles. Set the liquid aside for later use.
- Secondly, rinse the Ugba in lukewarm water, strain and set aside.
- Thirdly, put the cabbage in a bowl; add 2 tablespoonfuls of Apple cider vinegar and a teaspoonful of salt. The apple cider vinegar (ACV) adds acidity to the water. Allow the water to drain out and set aside.
- Then, stir the potash (ash fluid) with the palm oil in a pot until it becomes thick and turns golden yellow in color.
- After that, place on heat and add the ground ehu, pepper, crayfish, and seasoning.
- Gently, stir properly then add the crushed stock cubes, crayfish, diced onions, and ugba/ukpaka.
- Take it off the stove and add ogiri (optional) mix properly, then add your fish and ponmo.
- Add your cabbage and mix properly allowing all the ingredients to blend. Add salt to taste.
- Finally, garnish with chopped garden egg leaves and sliced onions
Crunchy West African cabbage salad can be eaten as a snack or a full meal