Citric acid can do a lot for your skin, but first, here’s what you need to know if you’re going to use it.
What is Citric Acid?
It is an amazing product for treating several skin problems like pigmentation, mild acne, wrinkles, unblocking pores, sun tanning, and dark spots.
Lemons, limes, grapefruits, oranges, and certain berries all contain citric acid.
You can apply it on the skin, in the form of peels, scrubs, toners, or masks.
Can We Talk About Acids In General?
This acid belongs to a bigger category of acids known as AHAs, alpha-hydroxy acids (other popular AHAs include glycolic, lactic, and malic acids).
The word ‘acid’ can sound frightening, particularly if you have sensitive skin.
Though all acids are not equal, AHAs normally tend to be slightly gentler and less irritating than others.
It functions by exfoliating the upper layer of dead skin cells to help clean pores, even skin tone, and soften the skin.
AHAs can also be used as pH adjusters.
pH adjusters are materials added to products to make sure they are mild and non-irritating – not too acidic (low pH) or too basic (high pH).
The 7 Skincare Benefits of Citric Acid
Below are the seven benefits for skincare.
- Firstly, it’s helpful in Curing Wrinkles – it is an antioxidant that lessens the process of aging. It targets the skin’s hydrating support matrix to reduce the presence of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Secondly, it treats Uneven Skin Tone – it acts as a natural skin scrubber and is very active for de-pigmenting your skin.
- A Natural Remedy for Sun Tanned Skin
- Beneficial in curing the sun tanned skin.
- It unclog the Clogged Pores by exfoliating to get rid skin of dead cells
- Good for Acne-prone Skin
- Lastly, it helps to brighten, and soften the skin
What Fruit Has The Most Citric Acid?
It is most predominant in citrus fruits and juices. Of these fruits, lemons and limes have the most content.
While grapefruits, oranges, and berries also contain substantial amounts, lemons and limes contribute meaningfully to the citric acid content of your urine.
It is ideal for all ages and skin types.