Fish and chips is a classic hot dish consisting of fried fish in batter served with chips.
It is a common take-out food dish from the United Kingdom and a Nigerian delicacy. This British classic hot dish is one of the national dishes that everyone can’t help but love.
Fish can be prepared fried, roasted, cooked, grilled, or baked. However, pairing fish with chips is one of the ways of enjoying this delicious super food.
You can either buy them from one of the thousands of fish and chip shops all over the country or homemade them.
In Nigeria, homemade recipe is very easy to make and served during family gatherings, occasions, picnics, etc.
How to Make Fish And Chips – Recipe
Ingredients for fish
- 1 medium-size Tilapia fish
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cube of seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon ginger (optional)
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for chips
- 4 medium-size potatoes
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- Firstly, remove the scales of the fish and clean properly, dress the fish, make fillet out of the fish and cut into desired sizes.
- Secondly, Combine all the dry seasonings (black pepper, garlic powder, salt, and seasoning cube), and use the mixture to marinate the fish and allow sitting for about 10 minutes
- Thirdly, heat the oven at 250 C, subsequently, cover the oven tray with a foil paper before placing the fish on the tray to bake for 15 minutes on each side.
- At this point, the color will change when properly baked remove from the oven ready to be served.
- Furthermore, peel your potatoes and slice into chips, wash and drain in a sieve
- Finally, pour in the vegetable oil in a frying pan heat and fry your chips until golden brown, remove and allow draining on a sieve
Serve and enjoy with stew sauce and a cup of juice.
Variation – another method of enjoying your fish is to dip the fish into Akara paste, coat very well and deep fry on medium heat.
You can load on stir fry vegetables with your Akara fish and chips. Enjoy!
Fish and Chips near Me in Lagos, Nigeria
- Bungalow Restaurants
- Estanolas Fish ‘n’ Chips
- Coral Blue Seafood Restaurant
- The Sky Restaurant
- Fusion Restaurant