Fresh Doughnuts are a rich texture snack, cut into ring shapes and sometimes filled with jam (marmalade) and then deep-fried.
Nigerian fresh doughnut is a delicious treat that kids and adults love. However, the preparation of donuts in Nigeria comes with a lot of variations.
Hence, street-bought or store donuts are great, but homemade ones are even better.
Nigerian homemade Doughnuts are sweet deep-fried/baked confectionery enjoyed by many cultures.
Doughnut or Donut
Doughnut is the original, generally spelling of the word that people prefer. It is more common in the United States and vastly more common internationally.
Donut, on the other hand, is an Americanized, shortened version of donut that is not incorrect but is much less common
Therefore, for these recipe fresh doughnuts, we will be using both words doughnuts and donuts interchangeably.
The Americans, call these doughnuts drop doughnuts and is classified as a breakfast food. You have to be precise about its name-African doughnuts. African doughnut is very similar to the Nigerian Puff-puff.
Nonetheless, the butter and milk in Nigerian doughnut recipe makes it richer in flavor and taste.
Below is a detailed and easy recipe to make Nigerian Doughnut.
Fresh Doughnuts: How to Make Nigerian Doughnuts (Donuts) Recipe
- Butter (100 g)
- Flour (250 g)
- Yeast (2 teaspoons)
- Milk (75 mls)
- 1 egg (whisked)
- Sugar (25 g)
- Salt (¼ teaspoon)
- Oil ( vegetable/groundnut)
- Firstly, mix the flour, sugar, and yeast in one bowl.
- Secondly, add milk, butter, and egg to the mixture in the bowl. Then, mix properly until a dough is formed.
- Thirdly, grease a new bowl and place the dough in it. Leave the dough for about one hour to rise.
- Then, transfer the risen dough to a surface. Flatten the dough and cut the dough to your desired shape.
- After that, leave the shaped dough to rise from five to ten minutes. Preheat the oil (vegetable/groundnut) for frying.
- Lastly, place the risen shaped dough into the heated oil. Fry the dough until its golden brown. Enjoy!
Above all, after frying the doughnuts you can mix them in cinnamon sugar if you desire or sprinkle powder sugar.
I prefer them without the additional sugar.