How to Make an African Round Puff-Puff without Using Hands
Round puff puff – For West Africans, and particularly Nigerians, round puff puff needs no introduction.
It’s a fast and simple recipe with a few low-cost ingredients, but don’t be fooled by its simplicity; it’s delicious. Few people are able to withstand their allure.
Perfect round puff puff recipe – Today, I’ve got a great recipe made with minimal ingredients – pepper and onions.
Related >>> puff puff (Nigerian Deep-Fried Dough Balls) Recipe
My best approach is to make puff puff without touching it too much with my hands because I understand that some people don’t just like their food touching.
A round puff puff is a deep-fried dough. They’re made from yeast dough and deep-fried until golden brown. It has a doughnut-like feel, but it is a little chewier.
It is a widely consumed snack in many countries, though it is known by various names and prepared in a variety of ways.
- 2 cups flour
- 1¼ cups Water
- 2 Teaspoons Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Sugar + 1 teaspoon sugar for proofing the yeast
- Enough Oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine half a cup of warm water, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and yeast. Cover and set aside before the yeast starts to bubble. About 4-6 minutes.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, and nutmeg) in a separate cup.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the proofed yeast and the remaining one cup water until the batter is lump-free.
- Cover the dough and set aside for an hour to rise. (The dough will have a distinct sweet scent when it has risen, indicating that it is ready for frying.)
- Preheat the oil in a pan deep and large enough to accommodate the balls to 360°F, then scoop a small amount of the dough mixture (about 1 tbsp. scoop) and drop the batter into the oil by spoonfuls.
Please Note >>> Creating perfect round puff-puffs is a skill that improves over time.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides. If you’re having trouble turning the puff puffs as they’re cooking, gently press down the balls with your frying spoon before turning them.
- Switch off the heat. Drain on a paper towel and eat while the food is either hot or warm.