Ofio Milk is naturally sweetened milk gotten from tiger nuts.
Also called Tiger nut milk (Kunnu Aya in Nigeria and Horchata de Chufa in Spain) is naturally sweet, creamy and offers a comfy, nutty, and rich flavor.
This stimulating milk drink serves as a diary free alternative to cow milk, and therefore a good alternative for lactose intolerance.
The consumption of this tuber is not only common to Nigeria or West Africa.
Tiger nuts tubers constitute the diets of many people in North Africa and Spain as well.
It is known to be eaten in its ordinary form in North Africa while the tubers are consumed as a drink called chufa in Spain.
Tiger nuts have been around for decades and though it is abundant in Nigeria so many do not know Tiger nuts and tend to ask questions about things like:
- Health Benefits of Tiger Nuts
- Tiger nut and fertility
- Ofio nuts milk
- Tiger nuts nutrition facts
- Ofio nuts and sperm count
- How to eat tiger nuts
- Side effects of tiger nuts
- Tiger nut and fertility
- Ofio nut and female fertility
- Tiger nut and pregnancy
- Ofio nut and dates
- Tiger nut and coconut juice
- Ofio nut and diabetes, and even tiger nut and weight loss
All these questions and more are answered below.
Cyperus esculentus/yellow nutsedge which can simply be called “tiger nut” is one of nature’s super-foods.
They are not necessarily nuts but they are tubers that generate beneath the soil’s surface.
These tubers are popularly called ‘Ofio’ by the Yorubas, ‘Aya’ by the Hausas; and ‘Imumu’ by the Igbos, some also know them as ‘Aki Awusa’
Health Benefits of Tiger Nuts
- Tiger nuts (ofio) have a high nutritional value and they are also rich in fiber. It contains higher fiber content when compared to carrots, oat bran, cabbage, and Chia seeds.
- They serve as a good resistance for starch, help prevent cardiovascular diseases and most importantly improve blood circulation.
- Tiger Nuts are a good source of carbohydrate, protein, vitamins (Vitamin B, C, and E) and minerals (calcium, potassium, iron, copper, zinc, and zinc.)
- It contains calcium, which is great for strong bones and healthy tissues and anti-inflammatory properties for people with arthritis and colitis.
- Tiger Nuts help to get rid of gas and pacify the gastrointestinal tract.
- They also contain heart-friendly oils that have comparable health benefits as olive oil.
Tiger Nuts Nutrition Facts
One ounce, or about 50 chickpea-sized pieces of plain, raw tiger nuts, contains 120 calories, 10 grams of fiber, 9 grams of naturally occurring sugars, tons of vitamins and minerals such as magnesium and iron, and 7 grams of fat, most of which is oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that research shows can help reduce appetite and promote weight loss.
How to Eat Tiger Nuts
There are different ways to enjoy tiger nuts, you can chew them as they are (both the dried and fresh tiger nuts), roast them or use as a substitute for cow milk.
Also, you can extract the juice content as milk and serve as a drink.
Tiger nuts are little tubers, not nuts.
Tiger nut oil, milk, and flour can be made from these nuts.
They taste like coconuts.
Tiger nut oil compares favorably with olive oil.
Above all, Tiger nut flour is a great substitute for bread crumbs.
Other names for tiger nut milk are ofio and aya milk.
Ofio Milk Drink (Tiger Nut Milk) Benefits- Why Tiger Nut Milk Is Good For You
- In Nigeria, tiger nuts (ofio) are used for kunu aya and it is one of the nutritious and popular drinks in the North.
- This milk contains a high amount of fibre, it is rich in calcium potassium, magnesium and fat, even children can enjoy it.
- Tiger Nuts Milk can be used as a good alternative for cow’s milk and good for anyone with lactose intolerance since it does not contain lactose or fructose.
- Tiger Nuts Milk made without added sugar is great for diabetic patients, for it contains Arginine, a hormone that produces insulin.
- Ofio Milk Drink is used as a liver tonic, heart stimulant. The milk is consumed to heal serious stomach pain, to promote normal menstruation, to heal mouth and gum ulcer and is a powerful aphrodisiac (more research on this).
Recipe: How to Prepare Ofio Milk Drink/ Tiger Nut Drink with Dates At Home
There are two ways of making Ofio Milk Drink;
- Firstly, you can use the dried tiger nuts or fresh tiger nuts.
- Secondly, if using the dried tiger nut, you will have to pre-soak the tubers in water for 24 hours or more to soften the nuts.
- Thirdly, soaking them first makes them soft and easy for the blender to spin.
- Then, you strain after blending; however, the addition of spices like cardamom and cinnamon as well as a sweetener like dates/coconuts.
- In Nigeria, kunnu aya is not only flavored from time to time with sweet spices, but also with alligator pepper.
Questions People Ask
In the freezer-pour into a jar and store, the milk will save its useful properties for a much longer time.
Some people also recommend to preserve dry tiger nuts for a long time, as they can be kept as long as you need them and then make milk out of them at the most convenient time
Nut milk tends to coagulate when cold, simply shake before each use.
- How long can Tiger nut drink last?
Tiger nuts drink can last more than three days that is if you add ginger.
- Are there any side effects/downsides to tiger nuts?
Keep in mind that these tubers are rich in fiber, so those interested in adding them to their diet should do so gradually to avoid any potential and unpleasant bloating cramping, diarrhea or gas.
- Where to buy Tiger nuts
In Nigeria, you can buy tiger nuts from local vendors hawking on the streets and markets.
They carry it around in a wheelbarrow, open to the elements and re hydrate with water occasionally from an unknown source.
Therefore, it is advisable to wash thoroughly before consumption.
- Does Tiger Nut increase sperm?
May act as an Aphrodisiac-Tiger nut have a history of boosting libido in Ayurveda medicine.
- Tiger nut and female fertility
Vitamin E can help trigger normal menstruation and prevent ovulation decline, which may be suitable for older women who have trouble getting pregnant.
It can also be useful for those undergoing fertility treatments, boosting the success rate of pregnancy.
- Can I give my baby Tiger nut milk?
They are an excellent source of energy and supply easily digestible protein, good fats and essential iron and are great for pregnant women, nursing women, and beneficial when mixed with baby and children’s food for healthy growth.
- Tiger nut and Fibroid
No drug or kit dissolves fibroid. Beware!
Surgery remains the best treatment for fibroid.
- Tiger nut and diabetes
May Reduce Blood Sugar Levels
Tiger nuts are rich in fiber and arginine, both of which can contribute to lower blood sugar levels. They also contain compounds that may reduce how much sugar is in your gut after a carb-rich meal.
Tiger Nuts can help diabetics stay healthy and regulate their blood sugar. So finally you can eat healthy snacks while keeping your blood sugar in check!
Tiger nuts are dairy-free, gluten-free, Paleo Perfect, prebiotic fiber, non-allergic, organic, non-GMO, nut-free, organic snacks, vegan, and good for weight loss.