Peppered chicken and rice recipe is so easy to make with ingredients that you already have in your storeroom. Quick, easy, and simple ingredients full of flavor and best served hot.
Nigerians love spicy food, and spiced chicken is one of their favorites. Peppered Chicken and rice is a great addition to our Nigerian party food.
What Is Peppered Chicken and Rice
Peppered Chicken is basically fried or grilled chicken fried in rich tomato stew that you can serve with any rice dish. Peppered Chicken with rice is first choice at Nigerian parties and are absolutely delicious.
Here is how to prepare this finger-licking Nigerian delicacy:
To prepare peppered chicken and rice recipe, you need the following:
- One whole chicken
- Two large Red bell peppers (tatashe)
- Two Scotch bonnet peppers (Atarodo)
- Sliced onions
- One cup of vegetable oil for deep frying
- Salt and seasoning cubes
- First, cook your rice following the basic steps here and set aside.
- Then, wash and cut the chicken into desired sizes.
- Thirdly, season thoroughly with thyme, onions, salt, and stock cubes. (You can add lemon juice when cooking lemon pepper chicken). Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for about an hour.
- Equally important is to remove the seeds from the peppers and blend into a coarse paste while waiting for the chicken to marinate.
- After that, put it in a pot, add some water and cook till tender.
- Then, deep fry the chicken with vegetable oil, drain in a colander and set aside (Alternatively, you can grill/broil in the oven at 180° or till golden all over).
- Put the same vegetable oil in a dry pot and set to medium heat on your cooker.
- Next, pour in the pepper and fry till the water dries up. Add in the chicken.
- Finally, stir thoroughly until the red pepper coats every part of the chicken. Add salt if necessary. This sauce is a multipurpose sauce that you can use to eat not only rice but also yam, draw soup, etc.
- Serve as desired!