Homemade cinnamon rolls recipe makes classic, home-style cinnamon rolls. They are soft, fluffy, and topped with vanilla glaze. Sometimes, when you just feel like eating something warm, sweet, and delicious and nothing else counts! These homemade cinnamon rolls are ideal for such moments. Quick and easy cinnamon rolls are special for breakfast or brunch or even as a snack!
Read Also: The Best Sweet Potato Mash Recipe Ever
The secret to best cinnamon roll treat is the soft, rich, buttery dough. You can either let the cinnamon roll dough rise and then bake them off the same day, or place the unbaked dough in the refrigerator overnight. This is best especially when you want to serve freshly baked cinnamon rolls for breakfast.
The dough gradually rises in the refrigerator all night, so all you have to do the following morning is to let them sit at room temperature while you heat up the oven. Then bake and have your hot cinnamon rolls that everybody will take pleasure in eating.
Homemade Cinnamon Roll Recipe
For the Dough
- 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup of warm water
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 ½ -4 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans, optional
For the Glaze
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-6 Tablespoons hot water
5 Easy Steps on How to Make Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Make the Dough
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water, and butter until the butter melts. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm (about 110°F).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, use a spatula to mix together the milk mixture, yeast, sugar, egg, and egg yolks until well combined.
- Add in the salt, vanilla, and half of the flour and stir with the spatula until combined.
- Fit the mixer with the dough hook and gradually add the remaining flour until a dough begins to take shape.
- Knead the Dough
- First of all, knead the dough using your hand or mixer. Knead for about 8-10 minutes, until it’s smooth and springy.
- Next, cover with plastic wrap when you have finished kneading
- After that, allow it to rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 ½ to 2 hours or allow rising in the fridge all night.
- During this time, get your filling ingredients ready: butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Combine and set aside.
- Shape the Dough:
- Roll the dough out into a 14×8 inch rectangle.
- Next, brush all over with melted butter on top,
- Then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Finally, tightly roll up the dough and cut into 11-12 pieces. Place in a greased round pan and get ready to rise.
Let the dough rise in a warm place about 30-60 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
- After the cinnamon rolls are nice and puffy
- Heat the oven to 350°F and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Then, turn the rolls upside down on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Pour glaze over the tops of cinnamon rolls, allowing it to cover the rolls and drip down the sides.
Serve warm or at room temperature.