Sweet Potato Mash Recipe does not need many ingredients to taste delicious. As simple as three ingredients are needed for this incredibly easy and delicious Healthy Sweet Potato mash recipe! This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, and sugar-free.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of fibre and will keep you satiated for a long time. It’s a super-healthy dish, loaded with a variety of minerals and vitamins which includes iron, calcium, selenium, B and C vitamins, and beta-carotene.
Table of Contents
5 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers on the Best Sweet Potato Mash Recipe
- How long does it take to boil Sweet Potatoes for Mash?
Sweet Potatoes, when cut into bite-size cubes take a rather short amount of time to boil, 15-20 minutes or until tender when checked with a fork but resistant in the center when pierced. The sweet potatoes may take longer to cook if it were stored at a temperature that was too cold, or they are a bit older.
- How do you cook sweet potatoes?
- I start by peeling and cutting my sweet potatoes into 2-inch cubes.
- Then, I boil till fork tender and drain the excess water to make mashed sweet potatoes.
- Similarly, you can also bake or steam chunks of sweet potato if you prefer, but I noticed that boiling the potatoes is easier for me.
- How to make mashed sweet potatoes healthy?
The trick to making healthy mashed sweet potato is to use the sweetness of the sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and buttery so do not bother to add butter or refined sugars in the blend. Instead, sprinkle pure maple syrup/pure honey or go completely without sugar or sweetener.
- Do you peel sweet potatoes skin before boiling?
This is a personal inquiry depending on what results you want to accomplish. Sweet potato skins are safe to eat and soften when cooked, just like your regular potatoes.
If you choose a traditional, rustic mash with the skin, that is good but make sure you wash them thoroughly first before cooking.
However, I prefer to peel the skin before adding them to the boiling water in order to make them as creamy as possible.
- Can you make sweet mashed potatoes with marshmallows or with cinnamon?
Of course, you can! Simply add cinnamon to this recipe when you are pureeing the potatoes. You can also add marshmallows to this dish recipe if you want something nearer to a sweet potato casserole
How to Make Easy Sweet Potato Mash Recipe
Mash Sweet Potatoes are just as simple to prepare and cook as your normal mash, with few steps:
- Combine in flavors
Now is the time to learn how to make sweet potatoes mash! Three simple ingredients combined with little salt and peppers are all it takes to make these healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes!
No need to put in additional ingredients or sugar since you have a naturally sweet veggie!
- fresh sweet potatoes
- pure maple syrup/raw honey/coconut sugar
- ground cinnamon
- First of all, peel and cut sweet potatoes into 2-inch cubes.
- After that, place the potatoes in a medium-sized pot and cover with water by an inch.
- Now, add a teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, reduce heat down to medium-low and allow simmering until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- combine it with pure maple syrup and ground cinnamon,
- Then, mash the potatoes.
How to Mash Sweet Potatoes
The sweet potato can be mashed in many ways once cooked (either boiled or baked) and well-drained, it all depends on the texture you are looking for:
- Fork: Use a fork for the coarsest mashed sweet potatoes.
- Potato Masher: Use a potato masher for a traditional mash which includes some chunks.
- Mixer: Use a mixer for lighter mashed potatoes with some smaller chunks
- Food Processor: Use a food processor for the smoothest, silkiest mashed sweet potatoes.
The blender/ food processor will make sure there are no lumps, which is perfect for a puree or whipped potatoes. It is also ideal for baby food since it makes sure there are no large/small pieces. You can reduce the cooked potatoes to a pulpy mass by crushing with hand if you prefer little lumps here and there.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper and serve.