Sweet potato casserole is the mixture of sweet potato filling and crispy, buttery pecan topping. In Nigeria, this tasty meal is generally known as Fiesta and is a breath of fresh air from our regular Nigerian staples of rice and swallows.
Sweet potato casserole with pecan is in no doubt a treat with family and guests. The preparation leaves your entire house with a nice aroma. It’s funny watching my guests trying to figure out the dish as they take their last bite.
Sweet potato casserole makes a perfect side dish or dessert for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. However, you must not wait for the holidays to savour this potato casserole. You can prepare it for your weekly Sunday dinner menu or serve it any day of the week along with fried chicken or protein of your choice and you’re good to go.
Sweet potato is a dietary power station; a source of beta-carotene, as well as potassium and Vitamin C. Cooked or baked sweet potatoes, are also a good source of fibre. Not only are healthy sweet potatoes nutritious and yummy; they are also very affordable and available.
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 24 oz)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
First of all, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Then, get the ingredients together.
- After that, brush a 2-quart casserole or baking plate with butter.
- Now, put sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water. Boil for 15 minutes or until it is soft. Then drain the water
- In addition to the above, scrape the cooked sweet potato from the skins and add it to a large bowl. Add the sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Mash the potatoes and Blend thoroughly. Put the mixture into the prepared baking plate.
- Also, make the topping by combining brown sugar, flour, and butter that has been cubed. Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Finally, sprinkle the pecan topping mixture over the top of the sweet potato casserole and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until it is toasted and bubbling. Let the casserole sit for a few minutes before serving.