Okra Seafood Gumbo – How to Make From Scratch
Okra Seafood Gumbo is our recipe for the weekend. There are many diverse ways of preparing this soup across Africa, along with a host of variances with the associated ingredients.
Seafood and Okra Gumbo consists of okra, pumpkin leaves, and onions, steamed with fresh and/or smoked seafood. Then seasoned with as much or as little scotch bonnet peppers as dictated by one’s choice.
Please Read: Okra Soup – How to Make Simple Nigerian Okra Soup
The trademark of this soup is its slimy texture. In Nigeria, seafood gumbo with okra is sometimes referred to as Draw Soup. To achieve more draw or slime, just cut the okra finely.
The finer the okro, the slimier the resulting soup. For even more slime, chop finely, and then pound the okra. This recipe is not only mouth-watering but nutritious. Okra has amazing health benefits.
African Okra Nutritional Properties
The okra pod is the seamless diet food. Low in calories, it contains about 20 calories per 100 g of cooked okra, and high in fiber.
It contains also healthy quantities of vitamins C, A, and flavonoid antioxidants which are vital for good vision.
The Okra pod is high in folates, which helps to decrease the incidence of neural tube defects in unborn babies
Besides, Okra also known as lady finger is highly recommended for weight loss due to its low calorie and high fiber content.
Lady finger okra water is another method of enjoying the seed pod, because it helps to reduce symptoms of diabetes.
Okra is also widely recommended to help stabilize blood sugar in diabetics, because of its mucilaginous properties.
The high fiber content helps to slow the pace at which sugars are absorbed by the body.
Seafood okra gumbo soup and Amala or with cornmeal (Agidi) are mostly giving to a sick person because it is an easy and light food to eat.
Seafood Okra Gumbo Recipe
- 8-10 pieces of Okra
- Fresh pepper
- 2 cloves of Ginger
- 1 bulb Onions
- ½ cup Palm oil
- Ugu leave
- 2 teaspoon Crayfish
- Firstly, wash your Okra properly and chop it big. Similarly, wash and cut your fish (dry, smoked or fresh).
- Secondly, grind your fresh pepper. Do not use a blender so that it does not become too smooth, use mortar instead. Add in your crayfish and ginger and grind together.
- Then, wash your prawns very well and add some seasoning to it. Remember to remove the veins in your prawn to avoid it being sandy or crunchy. Wash and nicely cut your ugwu leave too, just a small amount.
- After that, put a cooking pan on fire, put your red oil and leave it to get hot before adding onion & ginger. Stir for a while and then add your prawns.
- Allow it to fry for a bit, after which you put pepper, mix it and add in your fish. Cover for a few minutes. Then, adjust you’re seasoning.
- Finally, add okra and ugwu leaf. Don’t cover again just stir and let it boil for 3-5 minutes to get that crunchy feel while you are eating it.
- The result – a healthy, tasty and fresh bowl of joy. Enjoy your meal!
One thought on “Okra Seafood Gumbo – How to Make From Scratch”
Pingback: Healthy Seafood Recipe to Spice My Life in Lagos, Nigeria - 9jafoods