Orange Chicken Recipe is an Asian Citrus Chicken delicacy made with boneless skinless chicken breast.
It is then cut into bite-size pieces smothered in a sweet tangy orange sauce and then fried until golden and crispy.
The orange sauce is heavenly! It is a sweet orange sauce made with orange juice, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, red chili flakes, and orange zest. It is sweet, spicy and full of flavor.
This Chinese orange chicken is irresistible – the sauce is what makes the dish special.
Please Read: Chinese White Sauce Stir Fry Recipe in Nigeria
Original orange chicken is a little bit similar to sweet and sour chicken but better. As an alternative for the sourness in Sweet and sour chicken, you get a spicy twist instead.
The chicken has the same flavors as the Chinese food classic made in the comfort of your kitchen.
Serve with rice or chow mein for a complete meal. You can include veggies into this recipe if you like, although I prefer mine without.
Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
This orange chicken is a Panda Express copycat recipe with crispy chicken in a sweet and tangy orange sauce.
My easy homemade style tastes just as good as the restaurant version.
This recipe is a bit different when you compare it to the popular online orange chicken recipe with orange marmalade.
This is because the sauce with orange marmalade recipe is based on a mixture of barbecue sauce and orange marmalade
How Do You Make Orange Chicken?
The first step is to prepare your chicken for frying.
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 3 Eggs whisked
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- Oil for frying
- Orange Chicken Sauce:
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar or White Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder or 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- Orange Zest from 1 orange
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Green Onions
- Orange Zest
To make the orange sauce:
- First to start is to add orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chili flakes in a medium pot. Then, heat for 3 minutes.
- Secondly, whisk 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small bowl to form a paste.
- Then add it to the orange sauce and whisk together. Continue cooking, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- As soon as the sauce thickens, remove from heat and add orange zest.
To make chicken:
- Firstly, place flour and cornstarch in a shallow dish or pie plate. Add a pinch of salt and Stir.
- Secondly, whisk eggs in a shallow dish, dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture first and then flour mixture. Set aside.
- Then, heat 2 -3 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Using a timepiece, monitor it until it reaches 350 degrees.
- After that, Work in batches, and cook several chicken pieces at a time. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, turning often until golden brown. Place chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat.
- Finally, mix chicken with orange sauce. Serve over white rice or as you desire.
Is Orange Chicken Healthy?
Orange chicken is not the hale and hearty dinner select because it is sautéed and the sauce contains sugar.
You could try stir-frying your chicken in a small amount of oil if you are looking for a healthy orange chicken version.
This is better instead of breading and deep-frying it, also, cut the sugar in the recipe down by half or use low calorie-sweetener.
What Is Panda Express Orange Chicken Made Of?
Although it does not contain any orange, it does have many comparable ingredients.
These include sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar as well as dried red chili peppers and garlic.
It is mixed with deep-fried chicken pieces as well.
What Is Orange Chicken Made Of?
The variety of orange chicken popular at North American Chinese restaurants comprises of chopped, battered and fried chicken pieces coated in a sweet orange-flavored chili sauce.
As for taste, it starts with sweet and finishes tart with just the barest clue of spicy