Scent leaf, as Nigerians love to call it, is a tropical plant species that belongs to the family of Lameacea.
Most of us are not aware of the immense benefits of Scent leaf whose botanical name is Ocimum gratissimum also known as clove basil, African basil, and in Hawaii as wild basil.
In Nigeria, this popular herb has a different name for scent leaf from each tribe. Efirin(Yoruba), Ntong(Efik), nchanwu leaf(Igbo) and daidoya (Hausa), Aramogbo (Edo),
The highly nutritional leaf contains various minerals and nutrients which confer numerous health benefits on the plant.
Fresh basil leaves are reported to contain magnesium, protein, and cinnamic acid.
They are also rich in anetol, zinc, boron compounds, eugenol compound, stigmasterol, tannin, and tryptophan.
Apart from its medicinal uses, this homegrown sweet-smelling shrub has a distinctive smell and taste used mainly as spices for cooking delicacies due to its unique aromatic flavor.
Types of Scent Leaves
There are different types of scent leaves, even though people are ignorant of that fact.
All true basils are species of the genus Ocimum. The genus is particularly diverse and includes annuals, non-woody
perennials and shrubs native to Africa and other tropical and subtropical regions of the Old and New World.
Even though there are different types of scent leaves, the type used commonly as a flavor is typically called sweet basil (or
Genovese basil), as opposed to Thai basil ( O. basilicum var. thyrsiflora ), lemon basil ( O. × citriodorum), and holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum).
How to Use Scent Leaf
Scent leaf, brewed as tea, has been used as a remedy for stomach disorders, including gastroenteritis.
How to Prepare Scent Leaf Juice/Tea
- Firstly, get the leaves and wash them very well.
- Then, cook on fire with water as a way of getting the tea out from the leaves for some minutes.
- After that, put down from the fire if you notice it has brought out enough tea.
- Finally, drink while it is still warm
Drinking scent leaf tea will stop stooling. For best result, add salt or lime to give a better taste and also ease the unnecessary bowel movement being experienced.
Chewing on the leaves can relieve colds and flu symptoms.
Boiling the leaves with ginger or honey is useful for treating asthma, cough, cold, bronchitis, and influenza.
Juice of basil or water extract has an antispasmodic effect and is used in the treatment and management of convulsion and seizures.
Basil boiled water can be taken as a tonic or used as a gargle for sore throat.
Scent leaf dry vegetable is imported to both local and international markets.
Nigeria can key into the business of farming scent leaf, not only to meet local demand but for export to earn foreign currencies.
- Aids in digestion – Scent leave has immense health beneﬁts such as easy bowel evacuation and weight management.
- Extracts of scent leave can be used to treat stomach ache, diarrhea, chronic dysentery, and vomiting.
- The leaf oil can be used as a food preservative due to its anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties
- Scent leaf, brewed as tea, has been used as a remedy for stomach. It’s useful for the treatment of oral infections, mouth odor, tooth decay,
- It is used in the treatment of fungal infections, fever, cold and catarrh.
- Squeezed nchanwu leaves are applied to the skin for treating skin diseases and ringworm.
- Prevention and treatment of malaria, catarrh, cough, and fever
- Scent leaf and pregnancy: According to some experts, it is very important to include such plants as Vernonia amygdalina (bitter leaf), scent leaves, and others in your diet. However, pregnant women are prohibited from using it because it is feared that it could cause a miscarriage.
- Scent leaf for infant jedi jedi- I don’t know the English name for jedi jedi. However, dear nursing mum, please do not use any medicine or plant part on your baby without first consulting a pediatrician, or at least a family practitioner and not just any medical personnel.
- Your babies are still too tender to have their skins exposed to substances that may be harsh.
- Lowers blood sugar
- Reduce cholesterol
- Reduce cholesterol
- Managing Menstrual Pains without Drugs
- Cosmetic Fragrances
- It facilitates milk production
- It improves the health of the eyes and mouth
Side Effects of Scent Leaf: Warning!!
Despite many benefits of scent leaf, the herb still has some harmful effects.
Essential oils of Scent leaves can be used for aroma-therapy massage, however, pregnant women are forbidden from using it because it feared could cause a miscarriage.