Preparation of Bitter-leaf soup (Ofe Onugbu)
One of Nigeria’s most traditional soups is bitter-leaf soup. It is indigenous to the Eastern Nigerian Igbos. Moreover, this native soup preparation consists of several variations, including:
- How to prepare bitter leaf soup with Banga/palm fruit
- Yoruba Bitter leaf soup
- How to cook Anambra/Akwa Ibom/Calabar/Cameroun Onugbu soup
- How to cook bitter leaf soup with Achi/cocoyam/Egusi/waterleaf
The name is deceiving because a properly made Nigerian Bitter-leaf Soup should not be bitter in the least.
This is accomplished by washing and squeezing the bitter leaves (while changing the water at regular intervals) until no signs of bitterness remain.
Ingredients for Bitter-leaf Soup
- Washed and squeezed bitter-leaf – A handful
- 10 small cocoyam
- 3 cooking spoons Red Palm Oil
- Assorted Beef: Includes best cut, shaki (cow stripe)
- 3 stock cubes
- Assorted Fish: Dry Fish and Stock Fish
- Pepper, salt, and ground crayfish (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Ogiri Ishi (traditional seasoning)
Before Cooking the bitter-leaf soup Nigeria
- Firstly, ensure the bitter leaves have been thoroughly rinsed to remove any traces of bitterness. If it isn’t, wash it and squeeze it some more.
Please watch for a better understanding of how to wash the bitter leaf at home >>>
- If the bitterness cannot be totally removed (as is the case with most cleaned bitter leaves available in stores), boil it for 15 minutes and then wash it in cold water.
- Then, wash the cocoyam and simmer it until it is tender. Remove the peels and pound the corms into a smooth paste with a mortar and pestle. You can as well blend
bitter leaf soup Recipe: How to make bitter-leaf soup Nigerian: step-by-step instructions
- Firstly, in 1 liter of water, boil the shaki (cow tripe), stockfish, and dried fish until they are thoroughly done.
- The first indicator of a well-cooked shaki is when the cuts begin to curve inward.
- Then, wash the steak and place it in the pot with the shaki and other ingredients to continue cooking. Cook for 5 minutes after the meat is done, add in 3 Maggi/Knorr cubes.
- Add the palm oil, ogiri, dry pepper, powdered crayfish, and cook for 3 minutes.
- After that, add in the cocoyam paste and stir very well. (You can add more water if it’s too thick), allow cooking for 5 minutes.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste, then add the bitter leaf. Allow for a 5-minute simmer.
Serve with your favorite swallow.
FAQ People also ask
Health benefits of Bitter-leaf soup (Ofe onugbu): Bitter leaf Benefits
- Assist in the regulation of blood glucose levels. An excellent laxative in Africa for generations.
- Assist in lowering blood pressure
- Antioxidant powerhouse
- Helps with fertility
- Helps to maintain prostate health
- Also, beneficial for bowel detoxification
Preparation of bitter leaf juice/Tea/water for fertility, weight loss – Recipe
Green bitter leaf tea is one of the world’s healthiest beverages. It’s chock-full of antioxidants and nutrients that have a big impact on the body.
Improved brain function, weight loss, a lower chance of cancer, and a slew of other advantages are among them.
1st step: If the leaves are new, wash them before drying them, and if you prefer black bitter leaf tea, wash the leaves before drying them.
Dosage: Measurement Guide
Bitter leaf juice, taken twice a day – first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and before going to bed can aid with stomach problems.
How do you make bitter leaf and scent leaf juice?
For a few days, combine bitter and scent leaves, add then, lemon or lime, and drink first thing in the morning and the last thing at night. Only the juice from the two leaves should be used.
Is it possible to boil bitter leaf and drink it?
For a better impact, boil bitter leaves in water, add honey to the cup, and drink the water many times a day.
Is it okay for me to drink bitter leaf juice on an empty stomach?
On an empty stomach, drinking bitter leaf juice raises a person’s metabolic rate by 25%. Faster digestion also leads to weight loss that is healthful.
Because bitter leaf water boosts metabolism, your body burns calories more quickly. This is one of the most effective weight-loss drinks.
Is it possible for the bitter leaf to damage the kidneys?
Vernonia amygdalina (bitter leaf) has a high rate of renal recovery following phenyl hydrazine-induced kidney injury.
In addition, it possesses nephroprotective properties, making it safe to eat in order to improve renal function.