Chicken Suya Skewers: Homemade Nigerian Chicken Kebab
Chicken suya is a delicious chicken recipe prepared with tasty spices. Nigerian Chicken Suya is simply Yaji Spice infused grilled Chicken.
Suya is of Hausa Nigerian origin; a popular staple side-dish by the local people of the Northern part of Nigeria.
It is also a common roadside dish especially for travelers from both the Eastern, Western-Southern parts of Nigeria.
What is Suya?
Suya is a spicy meat skewer/kebab which is a popular food item in West African especially, in Ghana and Cameroon.
It is thinly sliced meat, generally made with skewered beef, ram, or chicken.
Innards such as the liver, kidney, and tripe can be used. Some people also use chicken wings and even drumsticks! Yes.
Suya fried chicken can be made with whatever part of the chicken you prefer,
The thinly sliced meat is marinated in suya pepper spice blend (called Yaji) and other flavorings and then barbecued.
Ingredients may vary according to regional and personal preferences
Suya is meat on a stick usually served with extra helpings of dried pepper mixed with spices and sliced onions.
A dried version of Suya is called Kilishi and suya can also be made in the form of pizza.
Although Suya originated in the Northern parts of Nigeria, it has invaded the Nigerian society
A basic suya recipe is made up of beef, however, it is entirely up to you to choose the type of meat you want to use for preparation either chicken, lamb or even fish.
But the good news is that whatever version usually tastes good once you use the ideal spices.
Chicken Suya Recipe
The Nigerian chicken suya is usually prepared by knitting the meat through skewers after being spiced, before grilling or roasting them.
Homemade chicken suya is just about as easy as it gets.
All you need to start is some meat of choice and necessary spices.
Chicken Suya can be made with either boneless or boned Chicken.
When making it with boneless chicken, it’s more ideal to use Chicken thigh rather than breast as the thigh is softer and more flavorful.
Rest assured they are not calorie-laden. You can make them healthier by reducing the amount of oil and replace the chicken thighs with chicken breast.
- 1/5 kg chicken thigh skinned
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cube chicken seasoning stock (knorr)
- 6 tablespoons yaji powder (peppery condiment)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- Wooden skewers
- Salt to taste
- Firstly, soak the skewers in water to prevent them from burning and set aside. Then, wash the sliced chicken and add in a clean bowl.
- Secondly, add the stock cube and salt to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Thirdly, dip the chicken in vegetable oil before coating in the paprika and yaji sauce.
- Then place on the grilling pan.
- After that, grill the chicken suya on a 150-200°C for at least 20 minutes or until meat is properly cooked.
- Carefully cover the skewers with the chicken slices, at least four pieces per skewer.
- Then, sprinkle spice mixture on both sides of the skewered chicken and place on the grilling pan
- Also, spray oil lightly on the skewered chicken and grill for 20 minutes, flipping occasionally to make sure both sides are cooked and not burnt.
- Lastly, bring out the chicken suya from the oven and serve warm garnished with some tomatoes or onions or as desired