Please Watch >>>
Recipe for chin chin: How to make ChinChin At Home
Chin Chin is a popular West African snack in countries like Nigeria, Ghana, and Cameroon. It is a crunchy deep-fried snack that is quite easy to make.
Origins of Chin Chin Snacks
The overall agreement is that it has its roots in Nigeria. It has evolved from a special occasion chop food to being a snack food, sold on street corners, kiosk, and supermarkets.
However, this African food is a crunchy simple snack that can be enjoyed alone or paired with fried groundnut and cold soft drinks. It is known as Achomo in Ghana and Les Croquettes in French.
Chin chin is minimie to scandinavian snack klenat, a crunchy, doughnut-like confectionery. It can either be baked or with dough wheat flour and other usual baking items.
Meanwhile, one of the reasons why this popular fried pastry native to West Africa is common is because; it can also last for a long time without losing its taste and quality.
Chin-chin is a made-in-Nigeria local snack and has become a household name because kids and adults alike enjoy it. It can be prepared in many ways:
Types of Chin Chin
There are two types, firstly the soft crumbly and slightly crunchy one and secondly, the hard crunchy and snappy type.
But the most common varieties are typically crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Baking soda, eggs, or butter may help to soften if it’s too hard. Skip if you prefer the hard and crunchy type.
Chin Chin is agreeable with everybody, irrespective of the type you desire.
Traditionally, it is a pastry of flour, eggs, milk, butter, salt, and sugar, mixed and deep-fried, but you can bake it if you are looking for a healthier alternative.
Table of Contents
How to Make Chin Chin for Sale
Like Popcorn, the popularity of this lucrative snack is fast rising and there are some good reasons to commercialize it.
You can start a chinchin business from your home and when the business starts booming then you should be able to afford to rent a shop for your business.
Equipment Needed for Chin-Chin Business
As a learner, you may not need a machine for processing immediately, until the demand picks up.
You need a chin chin cutter and dough roller for kneading the mixture before chopping them to the sizes of choice.
And again, you need a chin chin packaging and label machine.
Recipe for Chin Chin for 500 g of Flour
Below are a standard measurement and ingredients for a small quantity. The proportion of the ingredients measurement is included in grams.
The ratio of flour to butter to eggs and milk is just right.
With the right proportion of ingredients, you get your snacks super crunchy but not hard at all!
Chin chin Ingredients
- 500 g all-Purpose flour
- 150 cup sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1- teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 115 g tablespoons margarine/butter
- 2 large eggs
- 150 ml liquid milk or 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 60 cl oil for frying
Mixing the dough does not need a food processor.
All you need is to add the ingredients and gently knead until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Firstly, using a mixer or by hand mix the dry ingredients; sift and mix the flour, then the baking powder, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and lime zest
- Secondly, add the butter to the flour and then mix well until the butter is well incorporated with the flour.
- Thirdly, in a separate bowl, mix the liquid milk and eggs and pour them into the dry mixture. Roll it into a sticky dough ball.
- Then roll out the dough ball onto a floured surface and knead, incorporating more flour into the dough as needed, until the dough is smooth, elastic, and even in color, and no longer sticky.
- Likewise, cut the dough into two using a pizza cutter.
- After that, on a floured board roll each half about 1/6 inches thick and similarly, cut into desired shapes and sizes.
- Lastly, fry in hot oil until golden brown. Then, strain from oil with a paper towel and allow cooling.
- If you feel the ingredient list is too long, you can write it on a book like a makeshift recipe book.
- You can buy the foodstuffs at a grocery store, local market, or supermarket near you.
Amount per Serving
Calories 355 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value
- Fat 10 g 15%
- Saturated Fat 5 g 31%
- Cholesterol 48 mg 16%
- Sodium 284 mg 12%
- Potassium 74 mg 2%
- Carbohydrates 62 g 21%
- Fiber 6 g 25%
- Sugar 20 g 22%
- Protein 8 g 16%
- Vitamin A 340 IU 7%
- Calcium 91 mg 9%
- Iron 2.3 mg 13%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
You can own this recipe by making it your own with different ingredients and still achieve good results. You can also make this Nigerian snack at home with:
- Chocolate or cocoa powder
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Firstly, How to Preserve Chin Chin / How Long Does Nigerian ChinChin Last?
Answer: It can be preserved in an airtight container in a dry place. In this condition, it can stay good for up to 3 months.
- Secondly, What Does The Phrase ChinChin Mean?
Answer: It is an Italian toast,
(literally cin-cin) which I believe means the equivalent of your health.