Coleslaw Dressing Recipe: Best Homemade Easy Coleslaw
The salad known as coleslaw, sometimes known as slaw or coleslaw is made of finely shredded raw cabbage and a salad dressing, most often mayonnaise or vinaigrette.
Hot Topics Trending Right Now!
The key component in Coleslaw that makes it a healthy menu choice is raw, finely chopped cabbage. A creamy, mayonnaise-based dressing called coleslaw dressing is used to make wonderful homemade coleslaw.
You may either use a bag of pre-made coleslaw mix from the store or shred the cabbage and carrots yourself. The ideal summertime side dish for a barbecue, picnic, or gathering is healthy coleslaw.
Dressing for Coleslaw Variation
- Coleslaw dressing without mayo
- Southern coleslaw dressing
- Recipe coleslaw dressing with mayo
- Coleslaw dressing vinegar
- Yogurt coleslaw dressing
Coleslaw has a traditional and easy dressing. Not so much that our cabbage drowns and becomes soggy. Not too little though, because our cabbage is dry.
Additionally, mayonnaise, sour cream, and vinegar all provide the appropriate amount of sharpness and creaminess. a tinge of sweetness from the sugar used, and lemon juice to lighten everything up.
How to Make Coleslaw
This recipe for traditional coleslaw is the best; it’s easy to make and great for gatherings and summer potlucks. Only a few items are required, most of which you probably already have or can get easily:
- Shred Cabbage: Use a mandoline, a food processor, or thinly slice the cabbage with a knife to get fine shreds. I use a box grater’s larger side to grate the carrots.
- Dressing preparation: In a big basin, whisk the ingredients for the dressing.
Combine and chill: Stir the cabbage and carrots into the dressing. Place in the fridge for at least an hour.
How to Cut Cabbage for Coleslaw
- The general method of preparation is the same for all types of cabbage. This is how you do it:
- Eliminate any exterior leaves that are torn or damaged.
- After cutting the cabbage into quarters, remove the center.
- The cabbage quarters should be cut into fine pieces. You can use a knife to manually shred.
- Use a mandoline or shredding attachment on your food processor.
- Cutting the cabbage into quarters facilitates core removal.
- Slice the cabbage into very tiny pieces for the greatest coleslaw.
Recipe shortcut: Use Bagged Coleslaw Mix
How to Make Coleslaw Dressing Healthy
The flavor of this homemade coleslaw dressing is superb. It has a creamy, somewhat acidic, and slightly sweet flavor. To prepare it from scratch, you only need five ingredients plus salt and pepper.
Making this quick coleslaw dressing recipe only takes a few minutes. Even better, you can prepare it in advance and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed to make this recipe, plus substitution options.
For the finest flavor, use high-quality mayonnaise: If preferred, vegan mayo can be used. To make a healthier coleslaw dressing, you can also use plain Greek yoghurt for mayo in this recipe.
- Honey: Honey gives the dressing a hint of sweetness. Pure maple syrup works well as a replacement. Granulated sugar is an additional option.
- Apple cider vinegar: enhances the flavor and lends a slight tang to the dressing.
- Dijon Mustard: I enjoy the acidic, biting flavor that a little Dijon adds to food. You can omit the mustard if you don’t like it.
- Celery Seed: Flakes of ground celery seed throughout give this coleslaw dressing its distinctive appearance. Additionally, the celery seed imparts a somewhat earthy flavor. The dressing can be prepared without celery seed if you don’t have any on hand.
- Salt and ground black pepper: taste the dressing and add more salt and pepper as required.
The steps to make healthy coleslaw are listed below:
- Blend all items in a bowl using a whisk
- If necessary, taste and adjust the flavors
- If you want a sweeter or tangier dressing, you can choose to add additional honey or apple cider vinegar
As necessary, add extra salt and pepper
Best Coleslaw dressing recipes
- Southern Style Dressing Coleslaw: it has a tangy flavor and is combined with traditional seasonings such as mustard, celery seed, onion, and garlic to make Coleslaw Dressing.
- Marie’s Coleslaw Dressing Recipe: it is a rich and delectable side dish created by the combination of crispy cabbage and crisp, sweet apples. t’s a straightforward recipe that yields a delectable coleslaw dressing with straightforward ingredients. Although it is easily identified as coleslaw dressing, it works just as well for any other dish that calls for coleslaw.
- Classic vegan coleslaw dressing: the base mayonnaise and the sugar are the only ingredients different in the vegan coleslaw dressing preparation process. The mayonnaise will be replaced with homemade vegan mayo, and the sugar or honey will be replaced with pure cane sugar or pure maple syrup.
- Asian dressing coleslaw: the finest dressing for Asian slaw is that. Not only is it easy to make using materials you probably already have in your cupboard, but it also seems to have the proper amount of sweetness, tartness, depth, and spice.
Other kinds of coleslaw include:
- Classic coleslaw
- Coleslaw with tahini dressing
- Sweet potato falafels with coleslaw
- Lemony chicken skewers, herbed potatoes & apple coleslaw
- No-cook Asian prawn coleslaw
- Winter slaw with warm celery seed dressing
- KFC coleslaw dressing recipes
Nutritional Value of coleslaw salad dressing
- Calories: 209kcal
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Protein: 1g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Sodium: 265mg
- Potassium: 17mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 5g
- Vitamin A: 19IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- Iron: 1mg
Uses of Coleslaw
Coleslaw is used as a side most times and eaten with other food but here are some great recipes to try with coleslaw:
- Chicken goes well with coleslaw
- French fries and crispy drumsticks from the air fryer.
- BBQ chicken
- serving a creamy coleslaw with pulled pork sandwiches
- Put it on burgers and other favorite dishes in place of lettuce
How to Store coleslaw dressing
This coleslaw dressing can stay for 3-5 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container. It might leak some water after a few days and drain it away (and add a tiny bit of mayonnaise if needed).
Unfortunately, mayonnaise-based coleslaw won’t freeze well.
Health Benefits of Coleslaw
The primary benefit of coleslaw is derived from the super advantages of cabbage, which include the following:
- It might lessen the risk of inflammation.
- It is Vitamin C-rich which aids in better digestion.
- may contribute to heart health
- could reduce blood pressure
- could aid in lowering cholesterol
- source of vitamin K
The side effects of Coleslaw
Coleslaw is naturally nutrient-dense and healthy because it is made with shredded vegetables, traditionally cabbage. The dressing is the problem.
The majority of classic creamy coleslaw dressings are produced with excessive amounts of sugar and high-fat components like mayonnaise. To function properly and for energy, your body requires healthy fats.
However, consuming too much-saturated fat might result in:
- increase in LDL (bad) cholesterol
- risk of developing heart disease and stroke when the LDL cholesterol is high
Additionally, consuming a lot of coleslaw can have adverse effects like:
- An increase in riffinose content; an indigestible sugar, causes flatulence.
- Clogging of arteries (blood vessels) due to high cholesterol
- interactions between drugs,
- hypothyroidism, and
Is coleslaw dressing keto?
Because it contains granulated sugar, traditional coleslaw dressing isn’t keto. It’s simple to substitute a sweetener for sugar.
Keto coleslaw dressing recipe ~ is coleslaw OK for the Keto diet?
The answer is, COMPLETELY! To be honest, coleslaw is the best keto side dish since the Keto coleslaw dressing is mayo based. It’s super creamy, thereby adding healthy fat to your Keto diet.
How long does coleslaw dressing last?
For up to a week, this dressing can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Before combining the dressing with your coleslaw mix, chill it for the finest flavor.
What is coleslaw dressing made of?
- a sweetener (like honey),
- apple cider vinegar,
- celery seeds,
- salt and pepper are the main ingredients in coleslaw dressing.
- Buttermilk is sometimes used in coleslaw dressings, but it is not
- What is creamy coleslaw made of?
- In a big basin, mix the carrots and cabbage shreds.
- Use a medium bowl, and combine the cabbage mixture with the mayonnaise
- sour cream
- celery salt
- salt and pepper.
After thoroughly combining everything, season to taste and, if necessary, add extra salt, pepper, or sugar.
How long before serving should you put the dressing on coleslaw?
The dressing should be added in small doses, tossing gently after each addition, and no later than 20 minutes before serving.
Does coleslaw contain mayonnaise?
Although there are many regional variations, prepared mustard or vinegar recipes without the dairy or mayonnaise are also widely used.
Buttermilk, mayonnaise or mayonnaise substitutes and carrot are the main ingredients in coleslaw
Is eating coleslaw good for you?
Coleslaw is healthy.
Since shredded vegetables, typically cabbage, form the basis of coleslaw, it is already nutrient- and fiber-rich and healthy. The dressing is the problem.
The majority of classic creamy coleslaw dressings contain both sugar and high-fat components like mayonnaise.
Why is it called coleslaw?
The word “cabbage salad” comes from the Dutch phrase “koolsla,” which combines the words “cabbage” and “salad.”
How do you thicken coleslaw?
- Mayonnaise, a dash of sugar,
- cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- chopped onions
- parsley and a dash of celery salt should all be combined in a mixing dish.
Mix the coleslaw mix with some of the slaw dressing, tossing to evenly distribute the dressing. If necessary, adjust the amount of dressing after tasting the creamy slaw.
Why does my coleslaw go watery?
Pectin found in the cell walls of the cabbage holds on to the water, which is the cause of this.
However, when you season the slaw, the dressing’s salt slowly sucks out the water by dissolving the pectin in the cell walls.
Should coleslaw sit overnight?
When consumed the same day it is created and freshly made coleslaw tends to be at its crunchiest, creamiest, and best.
Shredded cabbage releases more moisture the longer it sits, whether on a picnic table or in the refrigerator overnight, which can cause the salad to become too wet and mushy.
Should you make coleslaw the night before?
The dressing can be combined and kept in the refrigerator undercover for weeks.
The day before or the night before serving, combine the cabbage, carrots, and dressing.
What is the difference between cabbage salad and coleslaw?
Salads do not generally include shredded cabbage, although coleslaw does, which is the primary distinction between the two.
Vegetables, either raw or cooked, are combined in salads. There are numerous varieties of salads, and coleslaw is one of them.
Best store-bought coleslaw dressing ~ what’s a good store-bought coleslaw dressing?
The 5 Best Store-Bought Coleslaw Dressings
- Kraft Coleslaw Salad Dressing. Creamy, flavorful, no MSG, 16oz.
- Walden Farms Calorie Free Coleslaw Dressing. Low calorie, free of sugar/cholesterol/fat.
- Duke’s Southern Style Coleslaw Dressing.
- Hidden Valley Ranch Coleslaw Dressing. Sweet and tangy, creamy
What can I eat with coleslaw?
There are different interesting recipes to try with coleslaw. Some of them include:
- Sandwich with general Tso’s fried chicken
- The spruce / grilled cheese social
- Baked or fried pulled pork egg rolls
- Tofu tacos or halibut tacos
- Danilo’s corned beef sandwich
- Chicken shawarma sliders
- Memphis-style pulled pork
- Crock pot pulled chicken, etc
Can you lose weight by eating coleslaw?
Coleslaw is loaded with fiber, nutrients, and healthful vegetables but watch out for the dressings with more calories.
Is coleslaw healthier than a salad?
Both coleslaw and potato salad contain mayonnaise, however, coleslaw is the superior option.
Sulforaphane, a substance that increases your body’s production of cancer-fighting enzymes, is abundant in cabbage, which is used to make coleslaw.
Does coleslaw make you gain weight?
Yes, it does. In a fast food or seated restaurant, a serving of coleslaw may have 300 calories and 21 grams of fat.
Also keep in mind that this dish is frequently served with other dishes that are already heavy in calories, including fried chicken or shellfish.
What country does coleslaw come from?
The Netherlands is where the dish was first developed.
In actuality, the word “cole slaw” comes from the Dutch word “cabbage salad,” koosla”. From as early as 1770, coleslaw-like recipes have been discovered and used in American homes.
How long will homemade coleslaw last in the fridge?
In the refrigerator, coleslaw stays for 3 to 4 days in a re-sealable container. For safety concerns, you should dispose of it after two hours if it isn’t refrigerated.
How far in advance should you make coleslaw?
Coleslaw should be prepared up to 8 hours before serving to avoid becoming sloppy and watery. Keep the components separate until the very last minute and salt the cabbage in advance to prevent sloppy coleslaw.
Do you need to wash cabbage for coleslaw?
To be safe:
- cut the cabbage into wedges
- remove the thick outer leaves
- then rinse them in a colander under running water.
This is because worms or other insects might be within the cabbage.
How do you shred carrots for coleslaw?
Cut the ends of your carrots off, approximately a quarter-inch in from each end, after using a vegetable peeler to remove the outer skin.
To make the carrots shred more easily in the food processor, cut them in half or thirds.
Can you freeze homemade coleslaw?
The short answer is yes, coleslaw can be frozen.
Actually, freezing is an excellent strategy to increase the shelf life of coleslaw and keep it fresh for longer. Coleslaw can stay for roughly 6 months in the freezer.
How long do oil and vinegar coleslaw last?
The delicious Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw leftovers should be refrigerated in an airtight container. If you don’t get it done right away, it could last for up to five days.
Why does my coleslaw taste bitter?
The cabbage plant uses this cunning defense strategy to deter foraging hordes. The enzymes in cabbage release an extremely bitter chemical after separating the oils from the sugar molecules when plant cells are ruptured.
What can I do with a lot of leftover coleslaw?
Here are ways to make a wonderful supper out of leftover coleslaw:
- Prepare a salad; top tacos.
- Sandwich’s top.
- Add it to pasta,
- Stuff potstickers
- Use it as a side for fried rice
Can I freeze coleslaw mix?
Coleslaw mix can be frozen, but only if you adhere to these three guidelines: When freezing vegetables, the fresher they are, the better.
Don’t freeze coleslaw mix if you don’t know how old it is or if it’s beginning to look stale and brown. A dressing made with vinegar will keep coleslaw crisp.
Can you eat coleslaw when pregnant?
Coleslaw and Pregnancy
Cold foods like coleslaw and potato salad should be avoided during pregnancy. Coleslaw is one of the items that can be infected with listeria (source: FDA).
Is coleslaw one of your 5 a day?
One of your daily five servings is equal to 3.5 heaping tablespoons of all that cabbage and carrot. However, the mayonnaise adds an additional 230 calories (130 in the reduced-fat version) to the dish.
Which is healthier coleslaw or mashed potatoes?
Both frequently contain a lot of mayonnaise, but because of its principal component; coleslaw is almost always the wiser choice.
What are healthier baked beans or coleslaw?
Although the baked bean sauce contains calories, baked beans provide more nutrients than coleslaw.
You consume more calories and fewer nutrients when eating coleslaw. You consume more calories and more nutrients when you eat baked beans.
Is KFC coleslaw healthy?
- KFC coleslaw has 150 calories per serving.
- No trans fats
- 60 calories from fat.
- No cholesterol.
- 2 g of dietary fiber and 21 g of carbs.
The Bottom line
Serving coleslaw and the dressing combined is the best way to serve them. I advise keeping the coleslaw and dressing in the refrigerator separately if you want to prepare ahead of time.
Mix it a few hours or less before you want to serve the coleslaw, although you can purchase coleslaw mix in a package at the grocery, the fresh one is always preferable.
The homemade coleslaw dressing is the finest component of the coleslaw recipe. Making the creamy coleslaw dressing from scratch allows you to customize the flavors to your tastes, adding a little more sweetness or tang to make it exactly how you like it.