Easy Traditional Plain Yogurt | How to Make Yogurt in Nigeria
The name yogurt is of Turkish origin. It is called matzoon in Armenia and kisselo mleko by the Yogoslavs. Historians generally believe that plain yogurt was accidentally obtained as a result of milk stored in ancient ways in warm conditions.
Historically plain yogurt is said to have been made by Neolithic people in Central Asia around 6000BC when herds of men began to milk their animals and natural enzymes in milk slow down production (curdles), making yogurt.]
Related >>> How to make at Home in Nigeria or Abroad
It was noted that the milk did last long after this and some people also chose its fresh sour taste. The practice therefore continued and became more deliberate.
Benefits of Plain Yogurt
- The benefits of plain yogurts are countless. It is known to be rich in vitamins B2 and B12, potassium, and magnesium.
- Yogurt contains probiotics (healthy bacteria that bring about the fermentation of the milk) and this helps digestion, immune system, skin, and a woman’s health.
- The benefits of yogurt are shown in cases of; lactose intolerance, constipation, diarrhea, colon cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, H infection. Pylori, and other infections.
- Yogurt has also been known to be used in current times for various facial treatments.
There Are About Ten Types of Yogurt To Know And To Check Out For
- Traditional unstrained yogurt
- Greek yogurt – contains twice as much protein, less sugar, fewer carbs, and actual live cultures.
- Goat’s milk yogurt – made from goat’s milk and is useful to those who are allergic to cow’s milk.
- Sheep’s milk yogurt
- Skyra or Iceland yogurt
- Australian yogurt
- Soy yogurt
- Almond yogurt
- Coconut yogurt
- Drinkable yogurt and kefir
Yogurt making at home will let your whole family enjoy the health benefits and delicate taste of yogurt.
Find out how to make healthy plain fresh yogurt in Nigeria right now!
How to Make Plain Yogurt at Home in Nigeria
There are tons of methods if you want to know how to make yogurt at home from scratch in Nigeria.
Whether raw, pasteurized, from powdered milk, milk powder without a yogurt maker – boiling method
We have chosen the best (and the easiest) method for making homemade yogurt that would be simple to achieve by anyone.
To Prepare Traditional Plain Yogurt Recipe
- Warm water (2 cups)
- Plain store-bought yogurt (3 spoons)
- Full cream milk (one and a half cups)
- Sweeteners (sugar, caramel, fruit extracts, or generic fruit flavors)
- Firstly, mix the cups of full cream milk in warm water. Take note that you can use low-fat milk for this if you are on a diet and can’t take full cream milk.
- Then, allow cooling but do not refrigerate.
- Thirdly, add plain yogurt when the mixture is room temperature, stir and cover with a clean towel for 3 to 4 hours.
- Wait for about 4 hours the mixture separates. Drain the top and cover with a thick cloth overnight at room temperature.
- After that, your yogurt is ready for any flavor of choice.
- Lastly, you might want to mix your fruit extracts in a little water before mixing them into your yogurt.
Best served cold