How to make egg roll in Nigeria is entirely different from the famous Chinese Egg Rolls. Nigerian Egg rolls are healthy snacks with more calories and similar to Scotch egg rolls. Instead of sausage meat, flour dough is put together to wrap the boiled eggs.
Also known as African egg rolls, but since Africa is a vast continent; it would be wise to not generalize about it. What I know for sure is that these rolls are enjoyed in Nigeria and Cameroon.
Nigerian version is not the same thing as the regular Chinese type which is elongated and looks more like spring rolls.
Please Read: Nigeria Crepes Recipe
Egg rolls are the big brother of Nigerian buns. They are a healthier option because of the eggs filling.
Usually, when looking out for egg rolls in a shop near you, you might notice that some rolls come with half or quarter of an egg. The eggs size at times determine the cost of the rolls.
However, since the ingredients are relatively cheap and available, the snack is always affordable and readily available.
What Is An Egg Roll?
It is boiled egg put around in a mass of dough and deep-fried. This roll is a popular Nigerian snack that is put together by wrapping eggs in flour dough.
It is quite similar to Nigerian scotch egg, which has a layer of sausage meat between the eggs and the dough. It is also similar to pork eggs roll that have ground pork and veggies filling.
.This Nigerian snack gets its circular shape from the eggs they use in making it. Here’s an easy recipe for you…Enjoy!
Nigerian Egg Rolls Recipe and Procedure
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ leveled teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon margarine or butter
- ½ cup of warm water(more or less)
- A pinch of salt
- Oil for deep frying
How to Make Egg Rolls at Home
Making of this snack from scratch requires some knowledge especially when it comes to wrapping and frying. Once you master the art, the rest they say will become history. Here is the guideline:
- Firstly, boil the eggs for about 10 minutes until hard boiled in a medium-sized pot.
- Secondly, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, mixed spices (optional) and salt into an empty pan. Mix very well, and then add the margarine/butter. Rub the butter into the flour with the tip of your fingers until crumbly.
- Thirdly, make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and gradually add water, a little at a time. Work the water into the flour to form a dough then knead till you get a smooth, non-sticky elastic dough.
- Split the dough into 5 equal pieces and roll each into balls.
- Fourthly, and most importantly, dust a flat work surface with flour and roll out the dough pieces, one at a time. Wrap each piece around an egg and roll into a ball.
- Do it again until each piece of dough is rolled and wrapped about the eggs. Leave the egg rolls in a bowl.
- Then, heat the oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat and fry rolls in batches until golden brown. To ensure the rolls cook well on the inside, reduce the heat once you add them to the oil.
- Lastly, remove them from the oil and drain on a paper towel before serving.
Do you like my how to make egg rolls recipe? I cannot wait to share how to make egg rolls with shrimp or with with cabbage/vegetables.
Kindly click the share buttons and don’t forget to rate the article and leave me a comment below! I take pleasure in reading from you. Please follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Thanks for visiting 9jafoods today.