Light Soup: How to Make Ghanaian Fufu and Light Soup
What Is Ghanaian Light Soup?
Fufu and Light soup is a spicy tomato-based soup. A hot bowl of light soup brings the best relief when you have a cold/ flu.
The perfect dinner for a cold night and a comforting soup that will warm you up from the inside out.
Preparing the soup with Fufu as lunch on a weekend in Ghana is what a roast is to an English man on a Sunday.
This healthy traditional soup can be made with beef, goat meat, pork, chicken, lamb, or mutton.
West African Twi Fufu and Light Soup Recipe – How to Prepare fufu and light soup
The soup Preparation for someone is a great gesture in Ghana.
Not only is it easy to cook but also pairs nicely with rice, yam, gari, kenkey, and fufu, not forgetting your chicken and goat meat.
This could also serve as the perfect dinner for people on a weight loss journey.
Light Soup Ingredients
- 1 kg of fresh fish
- 2 small limes
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 small tin of tomato puree/paste
- A handful of pepper
- Spices (ginger, garlic, or fish spice)
For the Fufu Meal
- A mixture of Cassava and Plantain
- Firstly, clean your fish with a piece of lime/lemon/alum in a bowl of water. Properly remove any innards.
- Secondly, season well with ginger, garlic, and onion mixture. You can also add some salt and fish spice.
- Thirdly, marinate for a couple of hours. Put into a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil for about 5 min.
- Then, in a separate pot, wash and Boil the tomato, pepper, and onion without chopping till the skin of the tomato starts to peel.
- After that, take out the tomato, pepper, and onion and blend till smooth. Pour into a sieve and allow the tomato pepper mix to drain through so you have a lighter consistency.
- Then, pour your drained mix into the pot of fish meat. Bring to a simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Though optional, this is the stage to Wash/prepare and add the Okro into the mixture.
- Lastly, add water depending on the thickness you intend to attain. Your Ghanaian fresh food is ready.
For The Fufu Recipe: How to Make Ghana Fresh Cassava and Unripe Plantain Fufu “No More Powder Fufu”
Ghanaian fufu facts:
Fufu is a local Ghanaian dish made from cassava and unripe plantain. It is traditionally eaten by hand instead of cutleries.
Most often (others prefer cocoyam to plantain while others use yam instead of cassava).
In principle, it is the sauce/soup that gives the Fufu dish its unique identity.
However, in Ghana, the common Fufu dishes are Fufu with Light Soup, Fufu with Groundnut Soup, and Fufu with Palm Nut Soup.
Ghana Fufu and Light-Soup calories
Nutritionally, 100 g dry weight fufu contains 2 g of protein, 0.1 g of fat, and 84 g of carbohydrate.
There are 267 kcal of food energy in a 100 g serving made up of water.
Light Soup and Fufu Ghana Recipe
Method – How to cook/prepare Fufu and Light soup
- Firstly, peel off the skin of the cassava and plantains and boil for 25-30 minutes.
- Secondly, allow your cassava and plantain to cool for 5 minutes before pounding.
- Thirdly, using a mortar and pestle pound the plantain first, then the cassava.
- Then, sprinkle water as you pound for easy pounding and to avoid sticking to the mortar.
- Lastly, mix and pound till soft. Fufu cannot be eaten alone as a meal. Pair with the soup.
Fufu and light soup restaurant near me in Lagos Nigeria
African Soup Market
The University Of Lagos, Suite 7, Student Union Building (SUB)