Satis Sausage Nigeria – African Snack Rolls
Satis Sausage Nigeria – African Snack Rolls
In West Africa, the Satis Sausage Nigerian Roll is a popular snack. It’s made up of pastry dough that’s wrapped around the spiced sausage meat.
The crust used in these rolls is similar to that used in Nigerian meat and chicken pies. Nigerian sausage rolls are available under the brand names Gala, Bigi, Beefee, and Super bite.
These sausage rolls are popular in most major African cities and are usually sold by street vendors during traffic jams.
Satis Beef Sausage Nigerian Rolls are available at eateries and restaurants in addition to the branded ones.
However, it doesn’t matter the type of sausage roll you purchase, Satis Sausage Nigerian rolls often have a beef or pork filling and are delectable.
I’ve tried and tested several sausage roll recipes, but here’s how to create a traditional Gala-style satis sausage Nigerian roll.
Satis Sausage Nigeria Ingredients
- 2-1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 4 Tbsp Margarine
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 Onion Small finely chopped
- Cayenne Pepper to Taste
- 6-8 Tbsp Water
Instructions on How to Make Satis Sausage Nigeria
- Firstly, in a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cold margarine, and butter, then, using your fingertip, knead the fat into the flour until it forms a crumbly texture.
- Secondly, stir in a small amount of water at a time until a firm dough forms.
- Then, knead the dough for a few seconds to a minute before putting it aside – don’t overwork it!
- After that, season the sausage with the stock cube and fully combine it.
- Then, trim the rough edges of the pie dough after rolling it out to a 1/6th to the 1/8th-inch-thick rectangle.
- Carefully, scoop in the sausage meat and shape it into a log, then roll it over until it overlaps slightly and the excess pastry is removed.
- Cut the rolled pie into the desired length and place the rolls in a pre-greased and floured pan. Make a decoration over the rolls by making a mark on the pie with a knife (see video) or poking it with a fork.
- Make the egg wash by whisking together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water and brushing it over the surface of the sausage rolls.
- Lastly, bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
What exactly is satis in food?
Quantum satis serves the same purpose in European Community (EC/EU) food regulations and food safety laws.
A quantum satis specification for an ingredient essentially means “Add as much of this ingredient as is required to achieve the desired result, but no more.”
How do you prepare sausage meat? How long does it take to mix sausage?
The more protein you extract from a batch of sausage, the longer you mix it.
Fresh sausage is typically mixed for 1 to 2 minutes, whereas smoked sausage is typically mixed for 5 to 7 minutes.
At the end of the mixing cycle, the meat texture for smoked sausage should be very sticky (extracted protein)
What is the best way to bind sausage meat?
The proteins in that milk powder are especially sticky, and as you cook the sausage, you’ll notice that the meat becomes increasingly glued together.
To achieve the same effect, soy (soy protein, soy flour, and soy concentrate) is a common additive.
How do you grind and stuff sausage?
If casing the sausage, rinse the casings with water and drain. Fill stuffer with sausage grind and insert casing all the way into stuffer tube.
Use a light coat of cooking oil spray on the stuffer tube to make it easier to get the casing on the tube and to prevent binding and tearing.
Why do you put water in your sausage?
Adding water makes the mixture move more easily through your sausage stuffer, allowing it to pass through the tube more easily.
It also makes pushing the sausage meat through the stuffer easier.
What is a good binder for making sausage?
Soy Protein Concentrate
One of the most popular sausage binders for home production is isolated soy protein. It doesn’t add volume, but it does add texture and aid in moisture retention.
What is QS in ingredients?
The use of the acronym QS or quantity sufficient indicates how much base has been used.
Base materials are inactive or inert materials but play an important role in the formulation of a product.
In the manufacturing industry, what does QS stand for?
QS stands for Quantum satis and simply means ‘Add as much of this ingredient as is required to achieve the desired result, but no more.’
It is primarily used in pharmaceuticals and food manufacturing, but you may have encountered it in sample formulations provided by a supplier.
What is the purpose of putting water in sausage?
Water acts as a carrier for salt and seasoning, allowing them to mix and penetrate the meat more effectively.
It aids in the suspension of fat in the sausage meat, or in other words, it aids in the meat’s ability to hold and retain fat.
As you may be aware, fat is essential for moisture, texture, and flavor.
Why is my homemade sausage tough?
If the texture of your emulsified hot dogs and sausages is tough or rubbery, you may be over-extracting the actomyosin myofibrillar proteins.
In other words, you might be mixing the sausage too much, especially if you add salt or water.
What is the ratio of meat to fat in sausage?
The standard for sausage preparation is a 2:1 lean to fat ratio (65-70% lean meat to 30-35% fat).
Some ratios are as high as a 1:1 lean to fat ratio (50% lean meat to 50% fat) or lower than a 4:1 lean to fat ratio (80% lean meat to 20% fat).
Enjoy your satis sausage Nigeria.