Camwood powder is a natural burgundy dye powder that comes from the Camwood tree.
How Do You Make Camwood Powder?
The powder is obtained by grinding the bark of the Camwood tree (Baphia nitida).
Camwood is a shrubby, leguminous, hard-wooded tree from Central West Africa.
The wood is gorgeous burgundy in color and often used to make expensive knife handles and other wooden things.
Camwood is a cleansing agent and a very popular ingredient in skin care products for both the face, body and hair growth.
It can aid in getting rid of pimples, eczema, skin discoloration, premature aging, and rashes.
It is known as African Sandalwood in English, Osun in Yoruba, Majidi in Hausa, Uhie in Igbo and Ekui in Cross Rivers
Camwood Oil benefits are many. It has lots of minerals, cicatrizing, vitamins, astringent, emollient, and antispasmodic.
It also has anti-aging, antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory ingredients, that help the skin and hair growth in various ways.
Health Benefits of Camwood Powder
Do you know that for centuries newborn babies are massaged with Camwood Powder mixed in Shea Butter? A natural herb for healthy skin
Now that you know, let’s look at other benefits:
- Secondly, it rectifies sunburns and acne: It is a natural beauty ingredient for treating sunburns and other damages to the skin due to sun.
- Thirdly, it is an Anti-Aging Properties. Camwood has with anti-aging, detoxifying and wrinkle-reducing properties.Soothes the Skin. In Nigeria, the powder is traditionally mixed with Shea butter and applied as an ointment used to treat stiff joints.
- It’s good for clay mask/scrubs and assists in smoothing wrinkles, fighting acne, fading dark spots
- Skin glow
- Restores skin elasticity
- Improves skin texture
- Cleanser for acne
- Evens skin tone
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Relieves eczema
Camwood for Skin Lightening
Many of us want to have well-groomed and beautiful skin. You can achieve this by using black soap for skin lighting which you can prepare at home.
Ingredients for Camwood Black Soap:
- 3 teaspoons of Nigerian black soap
- 1 teaspoon of camwood powder
- 2 teaspoons of herb-infused oil
- 1 teaspoon of Neem
- 2 teaspoons of aloe Vera gel
- 5 drops of essential rosemary oil
- Firstly, mix the ingredients and set them aside to settle. The longer it infuses, the better the effect will be.
- After that, you can use it to wash your face or even remove makeup. It will help keep your skin soft, even and moisturized all day.
Where to Buy Camwood Powder
You can purchase as wholesale or retail from local herb markets as from ₦200.