Lemon Meringue Pies are the traditional Lemon Meringue Pie in miniature.
The perfect sweet finger food recipe that you can assemble at the last minute
Meringue is a type of dessert or candy, often associated with Italian, Swiss, and French cuisine.
It is traditionally made from whipped egg whites and sugar, and occasionally an acidic ingredient such as lemon, vinegar, or cream of tartar.
A binding agent such as salt, flour, or gelatin may also be added to the eggs. Wikipedia
Mini Lemon Meringue Pies Recipe
- 10 inch homemade or store bought pie crust
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 large eggs full eggs
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites
- Swiss Meringue
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Lemon Curd
- Firstly, mix together sugar and egg yolks in a medium large saucepan.
- Then, add in lemon juice and cook over medium heat until thick and coats the back of the spoon.
- Thirdly, do not let it boil to avoid making the eggs in the curd curdle. Remove from heat.
- Fourthly, strain the curd through a mesh strainer. Stir in vanilla and lemon zest.
- Lastly, cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the curd. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
For the Swiss Meringue
- Firstly, whisk together egg whites and granulated sugar over a pan of simmering water, until mixture reaches at least 145 degrees.
- Then, using the whisk attachment of the stand mixture beat the egg white and sugar mixture until stiff peaks form.
- After that, add in vanilla and beat to combine. Do not be concerned about time. The egg whites are cooling as they are being beaten.
To Assemble the Pies
- Firstly, unroll pie crust.
- Then, cut out circles of pie crust about 3 inches in diameter with a circular cookie cutter.
- Thirdly, this size will vary depending on your mini cupcake pan size.
- Fourthly, you can use a drinking glass about that size if you do not have a circular cookie cutter, or reroll the pie crust to get more circles.
- After that, tuck the circles of dough into your mini muffin pan.
- Then, prick the dough on the bottom and sides with a fork. Bake crusts at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Pop crusts out of pan once cooled. Easier to remove now than when your whole pie is assembled.
- Now, spoon lemon curd into the pie shells. Pipe meringue on top of the lemon curd
- Lastly, using a creme brulee torch, lightly go over the meringue to brown it or put the pies on a cookie sheet and stick them in the oven under the boiler for like a minute if you do not have the torch.