Shepherd’s pie or cottage pie is a casserole with cooked meat and vegetables in a savory gravy, topped with creamy mashed potatoes, and cheese at times.
This casserole gets baked in the oven till the mashed potatoes are golden and a little crispy on top.
Who Invented The Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s pie, popular and low-cost British dish originating from the sheep country in Scotland and northern England.
It is a grilled meat pie made with minced or diced lamb/mutton/pork meat and topped with a thick layer of mashed potatoes.
However, shepherd’s pie is a great way to adapt a big meal (or holiday leftovers) into an equally delicious dinner!
From Google search, many people think its Shepard’s Pie but, this is how you spell it: Shepherd’s Pie.
What’s The Difference Between Shepherd’s Pie And Cottage Pie?
These two, very similar dishes are often confusing. Essentially, they are the same thing when it comes to vegan fare, but traditionally shepherd’s pie refers to lamb/mutton filling and “cottage pie” refers to beef
What Is Shepherd’s Pie Made Of?
The pie is cooked in gravy or sauce with onions and sometimes other vegetables, such as peas, corn, celery or carrots, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked.
Both pies are cooked with vegetables and gravy and baked under a layer of mashed potatoes.
Either way, it’s a healthy delicious crustless meat pie. The recipe can vary widely, but it is usually made with minced meat, onions, peas, celery, corn or carrots in gravy.
The recipe has many variations, but the major ingredients are the minced red meat.
You can also top with grated cheese to create a layer of melted cheese.
Swap the beef for lamb, ground turkey or Portobello sheperd’s pie for a vegetarian version.
If you want to keep the carbs low, top it with cauliflower mash instead. You can freeze well the leftovers to reheat later.
How to Make the Best Sheperd’s Pie Recipe – Nigerian Style
- Firstly, boil your potatoes with salt, and then make creamy mash with butter, milk, and black pepper.
- Secondly, fry the mutton/beef/pork mince with onions, garlic, spices, tomato puree, or tin tomatoes until it is completely ready to eat. You can also add carrots or any vegetables you may like.
- After that, place the mince at the bottom of an oven dish and then smoothly pile on the mash. Pierce with a fork.
- Lastly, bake in the oven at 200 c for about 20 minutes or until brown at the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired.
What Should I Serve With Shepherd’s Pie?
- Sometimes with Veggies. Buttered cabbage. Mushy peas. Thyme carrots. Broccoli & cauliflower. Roasted beets. Butternut squash. Parsnips.
- Something Starchy. Broad beans. Soda bread. Dinner rolls. Baked beans. Yorkshire puddings.
- Just Salads. Carrot & apple salad. Garden salad.
How to Eat Shepherd’s Pie
Eat this easy meal by settling down on the sofa with a steaming plate of the pie with veggies, a mug of tea and, naturally, a slice of thickly buttered bread for mopping up.
How else would you eat this meal?
HAPPY NEW YEAR PEEPS!