Oven Fried Chicken is a spin on the outstanding KFC version. It comes out crispy right from the oven, is much lower in fat and made with lean chicken breast.
It tastes just like KFC but it’s baked instead of fried!
Made in the oven, tastes like KFC, nice and crunchy but with just a fraction off the calories! Baked Fried Chicken breasts are a total crowd pleaser!
This copycat KFC oven fried chicken recipe has a super spice mix to give it a great taste without all the calories.
I love eating chicken. Apart from the fact that It is by far, the most popular of all white meats. Eating chicken comes with its health benefits:
- Rich in Protein – It’s a great source of lean, low-fat protein that contributes to muscle growth and development.
- The protein also helps support a healthy body weight and aids weight loss.
- Good for the Heart – Eating chicken breast suppresses and controls a body’s homocysteine amino acid levels which, if too high, can lead to cardiovascular disease.
Other Benefits Include:
- Plenty of Phosphorus
- Abundant in Selenium
- Boosts Metabolism
- Rich in Niacin
- Natural Anti-depressant
- Promote Eye Health eyesight.
- Essential for Healthy Tissue
- Prevents Bone Loss
How to Cook Chicken
There are so many ways to prepare chicken. We can stir-fry, pan-fry, grill, barbecue, bake or roast chicken.
Why Oven Baked Fried Chicken?
Baking the chicken instead of frying is healthier because when you bake the skin reduces the fat and gets the chicken crispy.
Baking instead of deep-frying above all, cut back on both calories and fat.
It is also super easy to prepare and it comes without all the grease and clean up.
Oven Fried Chicken Recipe: How to Make Oven Fried Chicken
The key to getting oven-fried chicken that browns nicely is to bake it at a high temperature in a thin layer of butter.
It’s a way to infuse the chicken with the spices and give it a lovely texture by using just a little butter and concentrating on what goes on the outside of the chicken.
The butter gives the coating a crispy texture and great taste when combined with the spices.
It gives me the flavors of my favorite restaurant or take-away meals.
This recipe is for oven fried chicken breast, and even though you can use the same coating recipe for chicken tenders, chicken thighs, chicken wings or legs.
The cooking time will differ depending on the cut you use.
The cooking time depends on the size and thickness of your chicken; therefore always check to make sure your chicken is ready before diving in.
The safest way is to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken has reached 165 degrees F in the thickest part.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 4-5 tbsps. melted butter
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. seasoning salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsps. paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- Firstly, place the chicken breasts in the buttermilk and marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Secondly, preheat the oven to 400 F°. Then, place an empty sheet pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Thirdly, mix the dry ingredients on a large plate or Ziploc bag – the flour, cornmeal, panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- After that, take each chicken breast out of the buttermilk mixture and place it on the plate or Ziploc bag with the flour mixture; turn evenly to coat. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Carefully, remove the sheet pan from the oven and place the butter on it. Then wait for 2-3 minutes until butter is melted. Swirl the butter around the pan until the bottom is evenly coated.
- Then, place the chicken in a single layer leaving a space between each strip on the melted butter. Bake for 10 minutes then flip. Similarly,bake for another 8 minutes.
- Lastly, broil for 2-3 minutes or until the skin is crispy. Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley if desired.
Serve with homemade ranch dip, BBQ sauce, ketchup or honey mustard. It’s a dinner to love with less guilt!
*Nutrition information is estimated and will depend on exact serving size, brands and products used.