Plantain Fries Recipes: How to Cook Crispy Healthy Home Fries
Plantain fries are superb and so easy to make. They are just as good as French fries or chips, and I enjoyed them more in comparison to potato fries.
Treat yourself with these perfectly crispy, delicious and easy to make sweet plantain fries.
The light spice in these fries allows you to savor the subtle taste of the plantain.
Plantain is a staple in most West African countries. In Nigeria, we use it for making a variety of recipes from baking to pancakes to chips and much more.
Plantains are so versatile and can be utilized in so many ways; from appetizers to main/side dishes and even dessert.
We eat them as breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks. Yes! Plantains are that good!
Plantain Nutritional Facts and Health Benefits
Plantains are the less sweet, starchier equivalent to the banana.
Similar in looks, plantains are always cooked before eating, unlike banana that can be eaten raw.
Cooked plantains are nutritionally very comparable to potatoes, calorie-wise, but contain more of certain vitamins and minerals.
They’re a rich source of fiber, vitamins A, C, and B-6, and the minerals – magnesium and potassium.
They aid to build the brain and boost immunity therefore if plantains are not yet a part of your diet, better start Now!
One cup of green plantains, fried in oil (about 118 g) has 365 calories, 1.8 g protein, and 13.9 g of fat, 58 g of carbohydrates, 4.1 g fiber, and 4.3 g sugar
What Type Of Plantain Should I Use For My Fries: Ripe Vs. Unripe?
Well, the answer is pretty simple; whatever you like.
Plantains come in both the green (unripe) state and Yellow (ripe) state.
I like to use the green plantains for my deep-fried version of this recipe because the flesh is a bit bland and starchy so it will soak up flavors and hold up better when fried.
Whereas I prefer to use the semi-ripe plantains for the oven-baked variety because roasting dries food out a bit and the super green ones turn out too dry when baked.
These are my personal preferences when it comes to making home fries however you can do what works for you.
How to Cook Plantain Fries Using the Air Fryer
What You’ll Need
- 1 green plantain
- ½ tsp. sea salt/chili/garlic to taste
- 1 tsp. canola oil (or canola oil spray)
- Firstly, peel the plantains cut them into sticks like French fries and then season.
- Secondly, to season them, mix ½ teaspoon salt, chili powder and ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional).
- Then, sprinkle the spices over the plantain.
- After that, coat the fryer basket with ½ tsp. of canola oil and lay the plantain slices along the bottom.
- Now, it’s time to air fry your plantain at 350 ° F for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of your slices.
- Make sure to shake your basket once or twice during the air frying process to be sure they are evenly cooked or golden and crisp on edges.
- Lastly, remove from oil and drain on a paper-lined sieve or bowl. Serve your air fryer plantain fries immediately out of the fryer
While they taste amazing, fried plantains are not exactly a healthy choice if fried in unhealthy oil or if you are trying to manage your weight.
Oven-baked plantain fries are a healthier lighter option.
Oven-Baked Plantain Fries Recipe
Because plantains have high starch content, they are perfect for roasting in the oven.
The natural sugars in the plantains caramelize and turn the fries golden brown and crispy on the outside while keeping them tender on the inside.
Oven-baked plantain fries are also a great fat-free vegan dish!
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 425°F
- Secondly, peel the plantains cut them into sticks like fries (Recipe Note: Use a mandolin slicer if you want consistent, ultra-thin slices) and season them
- To season them, mix ½ teaspoon salt, chili powder and ½ teaspoon garlic powder or spice of choice.
- After that, spread them out on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes turning halfway between.
- Lastly, remove from oven and serve immediately
Pile plantain fries on a platter, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with ketchup and lime crema.
Below are some sides you can enjoy these plantain fries with:
- Shito Sauce
- Grilled chicken/fish
- Your favorite savory dipping sauce
- Mayonnaise-Remember University Days