How Do You Cook Yams | How to Make African Yams
How Do You Cook Yams | How to Make African Yams?
What is a yam, and how do you cook yams?
First and foremost, may I blow your bubble and inform you that yam is a vegetable… A tuberous root vegetable, to be precise!
More importantly, yam and sweet potatoes are not the same things. They are not interchangeable.
In today’s post, I’ll teach you how to cook African yam to perfection at all times, as well as other recipes t
hat you can use it in. When consumed in moderation, it is quick and easy to prepare, delicious, and healthful.
I will also answer (not all) the following Google Questions:
- How long do you cook candy yams in the microwave?
- How do you cook yams on the stove?
- How do you cook yams in an instant pot?
- how do you cook yams with marshmallows?
- How do you cook yams for dogs?
- How do you cook yams out of a can?
- How do you cook yams in the oven with foil?
- How long do you cook yams in the oven?
- How long do you cook yams?
- How long do you cook yams in the microwave?
- How long do I cook yams in an instant pot?
- How long do you cook yams on the stove?
- How long do you cook yams at 350?
- How long do you cook yams on the grill?
- How long do you cook yams in a crockpot?
- How long do you cook candied yams in an air fryer?
Popular Yam Recipes >>>
- Yam: Benefits & How to Cook African (Puna) Yam
- Asaro: How to Cook Yoruba Mashed Yam Porridge
- Pounded Yam | How to Pound Yam from Scratch
What Is Yam?
Yam is a common name for plant species in the genus “Dioscorea” that produce edible tubers, according to Wikipedia. In various parts of the world, yam is also referred to as potatoes.
Water yam and puna are both known as yams in Africa. Although sweet potatoes and yams are commonly confused, they are not the same thing.
For instance, if you search for yam recipes on Google, you will be flooded with sweet potato dishes.
Yam Health benefits
The health benefits of yam are numerous. Yams are a good source of carbs and starch.
It is high in fiber, which aids in the prevention of hunger. It’s also high in potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Yam has anti-oxidant properties.
Overall, yam is healthy food (vegetable) but it should be eaten in moderation.
In Nigeria and other regions of Africa, yam (puna) is immensely popular. Do you know that Nigeria produces more than 70% of the world’s yam?
Yam is like a new sheet, requiring only a few ingredients and being very simple to prepare. in less than 30 minutes, you can have boiled yam on your table.
The awesome pounded yam, also known as Iyan, is one of the most popular white yam recipes in Nigeria.
Egusi soup goes well with pounded yam (Iyan) and is frequently served at Nigerian gatherings. If you’re going to consume yam as pounded yam, don’t add salt.
Another popular technique to prepare and eat yam is to boil it. It’s also quite easy to make. In boiled yam, the only salt is required, but some people additionally add sugar.
This is something I do from time to time as well. Boiled yam goes well with Egg Sauce, Corned beef stew, Egg stew, Ata dindin (fried stew), Garden egg stew, or a plain old omelet.
Other ways to enjoy Yams
As I previously stated, yam is a blank canvas on which you can paint whatever you want. Yam can be boiled, fried, roasted, or pounded, and eaten in a variety of ways.
It can also be used in dumplings and as part of cake ingredients. The Caribbeans, at least, do.
How to Make Yam (African Yam)
Boiled yam is a simple yam recipe that you can serve with almost anything.
How to Boil Yams
The most common way to cook yams on the stove is to boil them. It’s very similar to how sweet potatoes are cooked.
To get yams that are ideal for mashed foods –
- Firstly, peel and wash the yams before cutting them into bite-size cubes.
- Then, select a saucepan large enough to accommodate the yams without crowding them. Add a dash of salt to the pot with just enough salted water to cover the yams.
- Thirdly, bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Lastly, they’re ready if you can penetrate the flesh with a fork or knife.
How Do You Cook Yams
Learning how to cook yams in the oven means you can make a simple and nutritious side dish for meatloaf, steaks, grilled chicken, fish, and more. Here’s how to make full baked yams:
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Secondly, use a vegetable brush to scrub the yams well, then pat them dry. Using a fork, prick the yams.
- Thirdly, bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until soft.
- Then, place each baked yam inside a kitchen towel. Gently roll to soften the flesh.
- After that, cut an X in the top of each yam, and press on the skin to push the flesh upward.
- Finally, garnish with butter, brown sugar, and/or cinnamon, if preferred.
How to Cook Yams in the Microwave
If you love the flavor of yams but can’t wait an hour to consume them, try this extremely fast microwave approach.
Here’s how to make your yams table-ready (or recipe-ready) in minutes using your microwave.
- Prick scrubbed yams all over with a fork to microwave whole yams. Microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes, or until yams are soft.
- Wash, peel, and cut off the woody sections and ends of sliced yams before microwaving sliced yams.
- Cut into four pieces. Place yams and ½ cup water in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Microwave, covered, at 100% power (high) 10 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
How to Make Sweet Potato/Yam Fries – Yam Recipe
For a colorful and healthful alternative to normal french fries, bake yam fries in your oven. Here are some ideas for making baked yam fries that will rival any diner’s version.
- Firstly, use a brush to scrub the yams thoroughly, then pat them dry. You can peel the yams or leave the skins on.
- Secondly, cut yams into 14- to 12-inch-thick strips with a sharp thin-blade knife. Because yams contain more sugar than typical potatoes, if chopped too thinly, they will burn easily and cook unevenly.
- After that, drizzle a little olive oil over the yams and season to taste (fresh or dried sage, rosemary, and thyme work especially well with yams).
- Finally, arrange the yams on the baking sheet. Make sure your baking pan is big enough to fit all of the yam slices in one layer and brown evenly.
Oven-Baked Yam Chips: A healthier version of fried yam chips.
A one-pot yam porridge recipe. It’s insanely simple to make and delicious to eat. Another name for yam porridge is Asaro (food) or yam pottage in Nigeria.
Yam in soups: swap potatoes for yam in soups. To make this carrot leek soup fuller and heartier, add yam cubes.
Alternatively, you can add yam to any variety of Nigerian pepper soup, including catfish pepper soup. Get rid of the bread and replace it with yam.