How to Make Nigerian Egg Roll ~ Best Eggroll Recipe
How to make egg roll step by step with a video >>>>
The Nigerian Egg Roll is a popular Nigerian snack made by wrapping an egg in a mass of dough and deep-fried.
This African snack is a healthy Nigerian delicacy similar to scotch egg, however, instead of sausage meat, the cooked egg is wrapped in flour dough.
It is also not the same as a traditional Chinese egg roll, which is elongated and resembles spring rolls.
We prepare our version of the Nigeria Egg roll precisely as the name says. When finished, the egg roll should resemble a bun on the outside with a cooked egg in the center.”
In West Africa, this egg roll is commonly offered as street food. Tea aficionados, on the other hand, can have this for breakfast. You may also serve it for breakfast with a glass of chilled juice.
Table of Contents
How To Make the Best Egg Rolls The ‘Nigerian’ Method
The Nigerian Egg roll, like the Nigerian buns, is deep-fried and very simple to create. However, the preparation of the dough is important to attaining great success in producing this snack;
the dough will be a little wet, mushy, and difficult to work with at this stage, so don’t be too anxious. The dough will turn out good after about 15 to 20 minutes of rest.
It will still be soft, but more manageable if you follow the measurements exactly
(Use grams for the most accurate measurement)
- 6 eggs
- 2 ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 medium egg
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup water or milk
- Oil for frying
Steps for Deep-Frying Nigerian Egg Rolls ~ Recipe
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the margarine and mix with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the beaten egg. At this point, the dough should appear dry.
- Begin to add the water a bit at a time, working the dough until it is soft and sticky but still workable.
- Knead the dough for about a minute, then cover and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough for a few seconds to a minute more before dividing it into six balls.
- Flatten each dough ball on the palm of your hand, place an egg in the center of the flattened dough, and tightly wrap the dough around each egg.
- Fry on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, rotating every few minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve your Egg Roll warm or hot. Enjoy!
Important Notes on Recipe for Nigerian Egg Roll
- Do not wrap all of the eggs at once unless you are ready to fry them straight away. Only wrap when frying. Otherwise, the dough surrounding the egg will continue to rise. By the time you fry the dough, it will have lost its close fit around the egg.
- Cook the Egg Rolls over medium heat. Cooking the Egg Roll on high heat will prevent it from cooking on the inside. Don’t bother, as long as the oil is not cold, the egg roll will not become soggy.
- Use enough oil to deep fry to achieve the best results. You may also bake this, however, the Egg Roll will not be as soft on the inside as the deep-fried version.
2 Ways to Make Nigerian Egg Rolls
- Baked in the oven
Is it possible to make egg rolls in an air fryer?
Air fryers can be used to make egg rolls. Preheat your air fryer to 390F (199C), set the egg rolls in the basket (ensure they are not touching), and cook for about 8 minutes, or until crispy. Make sure to flip both sides to ensure even cooking.
What are the important ingredients of egg rolls?
Substitutions & Ingredients
- Egg Roll Wrappers: When fried, egg roll wrappers are made of wheat flour and eggs, giving them a thick, crunchy texture.
- Meat: For these egg rolls, I used ground pork.
- Vegetables: These egg rolls include shredded cabbage and carrots.
How exactly do you roll egg rolls? What distinguishes an egg roll?
Contrary to popular misconception, an egg is not required to produce an egg roll, despite the fact that it is mentioned in the name.
The traditional egg roll recipe calls for egg in the dough, but most recipes no longer do; modern egg rolls are typically made of mixed meat and veggies wrapped in a rice paper wrapper.
How do you prepare eggs for egg rolling?
Cover the eggs with water in a saucepan (don’t stack them or they’ll crack). Bring the water to a boil over medium heat.
Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for about 10-15 minutes. Submerge them in cold water to prepare them for decoration.
Do you put egg or water in your egg roll?
To make a dough, combine the two ingredients or use them separately
What is the difference between an egg roll and a spring roll?
Summary: What’s the distinction between spring rolls and egg rolls? Texture and appearance:
Spring rolls are lighter, thinner, and flakier than egg rolls, which are larger and feature a thick, frothy, and hard-crispy shell.
Wrappers: Both are comprised of flour and water; however, egg roll dough may contain egg at times.
Is the egg roll filling cooked before it is wrapped?
Egg roll filling is cooked
When the egg roll filling is ready, heat up a wok with some vegetable or sesame oil to get everything nice and soft.
When you’re ready to fill your wrappers, add around two to three tablespoons of filling in each before rolling them up.
Recipe for 50 pieces of egg roll
- 1TspBaking powder
- 450g Butter
- 9 large Eggs
- Milk flavors
Ingredients for egg roll
Ingredients · 2 Cups Flour · 1 Tsp Baking powder · 1/4 Tsp Salt · 2 Tbsp Sugar · 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg · 2 Tbsp Margarine · 1 Egg beaten · 8-9 Tbsp Water
Egg roll recipe for 1kg flour
Ingredients: · 500g Of All-Purpose Flour · 2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder · 7 medium-sized boiled Eggs · 200g Of Butter · 70g Of Sugar or Sugar to Taste.
What is the method of sealing egg rolls?
To seal our egg rolls, we use an egg wash (1 beaten egg and 1 tablespoon of water).
Our vegetarian egg roll, on the other hand, is vegan by using a cornstarch slurry as a sealer (in addition to eggless wrappers).
How to make egg roll with yeast and baking powder
- 4 cups of flour
- 11 Eggs
- 125g of butter
- 83ml or 1/3 cup of sugar
- 3 tbsp of powdered milk
- 1/2 tsp of active yeast (optional)
- 2ml or 1/4 tsp of baking powder
- 2ml or 1/4 tsp of salt
Recipe for egg roll dough ~ Why is my egg roll breaking?
The first thing you should be careful of is the amount of baking powder you use in your dough.
As a result, if you use too much baking powder, your egg roll will shatter. So, when you add baking powder to your baking, the baking powder’s job is to sponge up the moisture.
What are the side effects of egg rolls?
An egg roll may be a less healthy alternative in terms of nutrition. It’s a salty, fried dish with oil soaked into the wrapper and filling throughout the frying process.
The absorbed oil might increase the number of calories and fat consumed.
Eggroll Recipe for 30 pieces Eggroll Recipe for 20-21 pieces
- 1kg flour – 200g butter – 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 sachet/2tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 eggs, 2 and a half cups of water
- Deep-frying oil made from vegetables
- The flavor of milk