Rice and Beans is a dish that is prepared by simply combining the two staples.
The beans used could be either black-eyed peas or your typical Nigerian brown (or red) beans or any beans of choice.
Methods of Cooking White Rice and Beans with Stew
You can choose to prepare it in the following ways:
- Plain by cooking both separately with stew
- As Jollof by combining the two with stew
- Or with rice & beans stew
Any method you choose is a winning combination of enjoying the richness of both foods any day.
Here’s an easy local recipe for you. Enjoy!
- 300 grams Rice
- 100 grams black-eyed beans
- 7 spoonful tomato stew
- 1 chopped medium-sized onion
- 3 medium of plum tomatoes/pepper
- 3 tablespoonful of ground crayfish
- Chicken or beef stock
- 2 chicken stock cube
- Firstly, pour enough water to cover the beans and leave to boil until the bean is tender.
- Secondly, parboil the rice using the detailed method in parboiling rice for cooking and put aside.
- Thirdly, slice the tomatoes, pepper, and onions then fry. Add the sauce to your already made stew and set aside
- After that, add the stew, meat/chicken stock in a larger pot, and leave to boil.
- Then add the parboiled grains, ground crayfish, stock cubes, and salt to taste.
- Lastly, mix very well and add enough water if the liquid in the pot is not the same level as the rice & beans. Then Cover the pot.
- After about 20 minutes your Jollof rice & beans are ready. Enjoy with plantain or any side dish of choice.
Variations to cooking
You can customize this meal by making it your own in the following ways:
- By using palm oil
- Boiling them together instead of separately
- By using the African method, Puerto Rican / Cuban or Jamaican style
- Preparing them as Jollof