Types of Mangoes in Nigeria ~ How Many Varieties Do We Have?
Mangoes are low-calorie, high-fiber fruits that are high in vitamins A and C. It also contains folate, iron, calcium, zinc, and vitamin E.
Mango is a delicious fruit with a surprising depth of flavor. It is a fruit that almost everyone has sampled at least once.
They also have malic and tartaric acids, as well as elements of citric acid. Mango promotes the preservation of our body’s alkali reserve.
Checkout Popular Related Articles >>>
- Mango Leaves | Health Benefits | Uses | Side – Effects
- Fresh Mango Juice Recipe (100%-natural)
- Pineapple Mango Orange Smoothie | Vitamin C Boost Recipe
- Mango Salsa Recipe | Warm Mango and Cloves | Benefits
- Mango Pineapple Smoothie Recipe – Homemade
- Breakfast Recipe: Mango Yogurt Smoothie
What is Mango? Types of Mangoes in Nigeria
Mango is an egg-shaped irregular fruit with a greenish-yellow color and a length of 8–12 cm (3–5 in). It is grown all over the world in tropical areas.
Mango fruits can be either round or oval in shape. When mangoes are unripe, they are green.
India is the world’s leading mango-producing country.
What Is The Scientific Name for Mango?
Mango is also known as Mangifera indica. It is a flowering plant belonging to the Anacardiaceae family, including sumac and poison ivy, and the cashew tree.
When Is Mango Season in Nigeria ~ When Are Mangoes in Season?
- Is there a mango season in Nigeria?
During the rainy season, which runs from April through October. That is the time when different types of foods, such as maize, vegetables, mango, and so on, are hugely available in the market.
That is the time when different types of foods, such as maize, vegetables, mango, and so on, are hugely available in the market.
From mid-February to mid-March, mangos are available in limited quantities, with peak availability from mid-April to mid-July.
Varieties of Mango ~ Different Types of Mangoes in Nigeria
Mangoes come in a variety of flavors, nutrition, sizes, and weights. This means that all mangoes are not the same.
(8) Eight Varieties of Nigerian Mangoes
Whichever you like, here’s a rundown of the kinds I’ve encountered:
- Cotonou Mango. Skin Colour: Green, with a little red blush. …
- German Mango/ Opioro. …
- Benue Mangoes. …
- Normal (Ogbomosho/ Enugu (Eastern)/ Calabar/ Abuja/ Yellow) Mangoes. …
- Sheri Mango. …
- Julie Mango. …
- Peter / Jane/ Binta Sugar (?) …
- Kerosene Mango?
The Mango Producing States in Nigeria
Thousands of mango trees, some of which were planted by the renowned Sir Ahmadu Bello himself, can be found in Kaduna State
However, the varieties and quantities of Mangoes in Benue state are not as many as people think
Which is the sweetest mango in the world?
The carabao mango is the sweetest of all according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
It is also known as the Manila mango or the Philippine mango. The amount of fructose in it contributes to its sweetness.
Economic Importance of Mango ~ Types of Mangoes in Nigeria
Mango is an important fruit for humans. Planting mango can help to mitigate the consequences of extensive deforestation while also protecting the soil.
Encouragement of mango production among small farmers will help to alleviate poverty, which in turn will help to strengthen communities.
Benefits of Mango to the Skin ~ Types of Mangoes in Nigeria
Mangoes are high in antioxidants, which have a wonderful ability to hydrate the skin.
- Encourages the synthesis of collagen
- Improves the skin appearance
- It moisturizes the skin
- Tends to protect acne breakout
- Promotes healthy skin
- It brightens the skin.
- It relaxes the skin.
Medicinal Use of Mango ~ Types of Mangoes in Nigeria
- Traditional medicine has employed mango bark stems and leaves to treat diarrhea, skin infections, syphilis, anemia, malignant tumors, and scabies.
- A sore throat can be relieved with mango bark extract.
- Boils can also be healed and subdued with the mango bark. This can be accomplished by preparing a bark cream and applying it directly to the boils.
- If you have blood in your stool, taking juice made from mango bark extract can help you get rid of it. Please ensure to boil the mango bark with milk and drink it twice a day with honey.
Health Benefits of Mangoes ~ Types of Mangoes in Nigeria
- Because mangoes are high in vitamins and important elements a single mango can make you feel fuller.
- Helps with digestion
- It aids in the treatment of diabetes
- Improves memory and concentration
- Assists in the alkalinization of the body
- Boost in the immune system’s strengthening
- To keep your eyes healthy
- It promotes the maintenance of cholesterol levels.
- Aids in the battle against cancer
- Helps with weight loss
Side Effects of Mango
Adults should eat between 5 and 13 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, according to American dietary guidelines.
In conclusion, it is best to consume this fruit in moderate amounts.
- Mango intake in excess can result in diarrhea.
- Mangoes are high in sugar, which might be unhealthy for diabetics.
- It can cause blood sugar levels to rise
Those allergic to mango may experience difficulty breathing and a runny nose.
Therefore, if you have diabetes, you should consult your doctor before eating mangoes.