How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil in Nigeria
When people talk about how to prepare red oil stew, they’re talking about how to use palm oil to get the natural taste of the classic Nigerian dish.
Unlike other Nigerian stews, which may be prepared with any vegetable oil, this one requires just palm oil.
Below are typical Buka stew recipes prepared the way they should be.
How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil Related Articles
- Agoyin Sauce: Yoruba Pepper stew for beans & Ewa Agoyin
- Beans Stew Recipe in Nigeria – Ewa Riro
- Red Red Ghanaian Bean Stew: Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Ayamase Stew (Ofada Stew) Recipe: Meaning of Ayamase
Table of Contents
How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil
Being a well-known, traditional Nigerian dish, every home should have a good palm oil stew recipe.
Give this one a try, it’s perfect if you’re looking for winter dinner ideas and will go down especially well with those who love croaker fish.
This dish is a reminder of the taste of grandma’s food, whose taste is always very different from the usual.
Four major ingredients for this dish is palm oil, dry fish, crayfish, and egg. You might wonder why eggs but it give it a unique taste
How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil: Ingredients
- 2 medium fresh fish (croaker fish)
- 4 big kpomo (cow skin)
- 8 pieces fresh tomato
- 4 pieces fresh pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cooking spoon ground crayfish
- 2 sachets tomato puree
- 1 tbsp. iru (locust beans)
- 2 cooking spoons palm oil
- Seasoning/salt to taste
- Firstly, wash, spice and par-boil the fish and kpomo.
- Secondly, wash and blend the tomatoes and pepper.
- Thirdly, pour red oil into a pot, when it’s hot, add the iru, onion, and tomato puree. Fry for a minute.
- Then, add the blended tomato mixture, boil for 20 minutes (until it begins to fry).
- After that, add the fish, kpomo, and seasoning.
- Thoroughly, mix the ground crayfish with little water (into a paste) and add to the stew.
- Finally, fry for 2 minutes. Remove from the fire.
Serve with okra and wheat or rice, pasta, or any swallow of choice.
How to Make Palm Oil Stew with Fish
- Firstly, wash, spice and par-boil the fish and kpomo.
- Then, wash and blend the tomatoes and pepper.
- After that, pour red oil into a pot, when it’s hot, add the iru, onion, and tomato puree.
- Meanwhile, add the blended tomato mixture; boil for 20 minutes (until it begins to fry).
- Finally, add the fish, kpomo, and seasoning.
Fried Fish Palm Oil Stew
Fried fish palm oil stew is a stew we all love in my house and it is simple to make, you might be familiar with frying stew with just vegetable oil, but if you try this stew with red oil you would be hooked.
It is delicious and I made it with fried fish, dried prawns, dried fish, and some boiled egg.
You can use all of these or just anyone you want it doesn’t have to be the same type of fish I used, you can add more or use lesser, just make it as you would love to have it.
If you want it spicy add more habanero/rodo, if you can take it heat reduce the habanero.
This stew doesn’t require any special seasoning. However, don’t use too much ground crayfish because you don’t want its taste to overpower the taste of the stew.
You can fry this stew as long as you want just don’t let it burn, the more you fry the better. Let’s get started!
How to Cook Palm Oil Stew with Chicken
- Wash and blend fresh tomato with fresh pepper, tatashe, onions, fresh ginger, fresh garlic
- Boil all after blending and bring to a paste.
- Season chicken with curry, thyme, seasoning cubes, blended onions, fresh ginger, and garlic and allow to cool for at least 1 hour till It becomes tender
- Bleach palm oil with chopped onions and garlic and fry the paste that consists of (fresh tomato, pepper, tatashe, onions, garlic, and ginger) for 45minutes
- When chicken is tender, drain out the stock and pour into a fried paste and allow to simmer for 10mins, heat up vegetable oil and fry chicken and add into the stew
- Par-boil white rice for 20minutes and wash and set into the pot to cook to its desired softness, you can garnish with carrot and green beans (optional)
- Fry plantain till its golden brown
- Set stew aside as well as white rice and serve with fried plantain
How to Make Palm Oil Stew with Iru
- Wash locust beans and set them aside
- Roughly blend your sauce and set it aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add palm oil. Allow to heat for 2 mins
- Gently add the chopped onions and blended sauce. Cover the pot and allow cooking for 2 to 3 mins
- Add seasoning cube, crayfish (optional), salt, locust beans, and mix and cook for another 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, add your fish and turkey and stir gently. Remember to taste and add more seasoning and salt if necessary. Cover and allow cooking for another 5 minutes.
How to Make Yoruba Stew with Palm Oil
- 10 tatashe peppers.
- 3 cooking spoons of any vegetable oil of your choice.
- 3 cooking spoons of red palm oil.
- 2 onions of medium size.
- Habanero pepper (as a seasoning to taste)
- 500g of shaki.
- 3 pieces of dried fish.
- 1 disc of locust beans.
- Firstly, soak the fish in water and remove the bones before cooking. Then, cut the shaki into little pieces after cleaning it.
- Then, using a special mill, grind the locust beans and crayfish.
- If you use tatashi peppers, remove the seeds because they are the bitterest and hottest portion of the peppers.
- After that, blend the peppers until they are smooth (the Habanero ones and the tatashi ones)
- One chopped onion should be added to the boiling shaki pieces. Then, steam the cooked peppers in a separate bowl until they thicken owing to moisture evaporation.
- Heat the oils separately in a separate pot. Place 1 sliced onion in the pan and cook for a few minutes.
- Then, while frying, add the blended and evaporated peppers and stir constantly. There should be no water in the stew
How long does it take to cook palm oil? How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil
Cook for 10 to 15 minutes on low heat, stirring regularly but not continuously. Pour the red palm oil into a clean dry pot and bleach till it turns clear.
What do you cook with palm oil? How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil
Ways to use organic unrefined red palm oil
In Nigeria, West Africa, almost everything, from soups to stews, to porridge, and what have you. It adds color to our cuisines
Is palm oil good for you to eat? How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil
Palm oil is a great source of antioxidants, however, the same aspects that make palm oil useful may sometimes cause complications for people with certain medical conditions.
The vitamin E found in palm oil has been connected to improved brain health.
Is red palm oil good for frying? How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil
Palm oil consists mostly of saturated and monounsaturated fats, making it a great choice for deep frying.
The taste can be neutral, particularly if you use the unrefined variety known as red palm oil.
Is it healthy to bleach palm oil? How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil
Please note, bleaching of palm oil is unhealthy.
This is a result of heating the palm oil above the smoke point which increases the trans-fat levels thus making it carcinogenic.
Also, bleaching palm oil reduces its nutritional value.
How long should you bleach palm oil? How to Make Fried Stew with Palm Oil
Bleach for only 10 minutes and turn off the heat. The residual heat from the pot will continue to work on the oil till it cools completely. Leave the pot covered till the oil cools down completely.
Depending on the quantity, it takes up to 20 minutes for the oil to cool down completely.