Brussels sprouts are linked to cauliflower, kale and mustard greens and a member of the Brassicaceae family of vegetables.
Similar to mini cabbages, but are compact and flavorful vegetable that when caramelized becomes irresistible main course or side dish.
They also contain high levels of many nutrients and have been associated with quite a lot of health benefits
This low calorie, nutritionally rich vegetables are essential at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.
While they can be bitter raw especially if boiled, steamed or microwaved but when cooked properly (caramelization is everything), they taste fantastic, even addictive.
To get the best from this vegetable here’s what to do:
- Firstly, get them fresh.
- Secondly, massage them.
- Then, roast them and,
- Sauté them.
How to Trim Brussels sprouts
- Firstly, I recommend washing to remove any dirt before trimming,
- Then Trim; to trim use a knife to cut off the tough stem end of each Brussels sprout.
- After that, remove any yellow or damaged leaves, and cut into half lengthwise, from tip to trimmed end.
Brussels sprouts Recipe: Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels sprouts
The best roasted Brussels sprouts are crisp and golden on the outside and tender on the inside.
These Roasted Brussels Sprouts get tossed with honey and balsamic vinegar and are not only beyond easy to prepare.
- 1 ½ lb. Brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- Firstly, preheat oven to 425°F. Then, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or use a silpat silicone baking mat.
- Secondly, trim off the outer, dry leaves, cut the bottom off and slice sprouts lengthwise.
- Thirdly, toss the vegetable with two tablespoons of olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly cracked black pepper to coat thoroughly in a large bowl.
- After that, transfer them to a baking sheet and roast until tender and caramelized about 20 minutes.
- Then, place them back in the bowl. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey and toss to coat evenly.
- Lastly, taste and season with salt if necessary and serve.
Thaw and shake off excess water if frozen, then roast for 40 minutes instead of 20.
Calories: 184 kcal