How to Smoke Clams: Easy smoked clams Recipe
How to Smoke Clams – the smoky taste of salty clams brings out the best. Arranging the clams in their sauce on the grill needs minimal cooking ability, but it requires patience to prepare them first.
How to Smoke Clams Tip
For grilling, large clams such as Quahogs are too tough and chewy, so look for smaller varieties such as littlenecks and steamers instead.
How to Smoke Clams Simple Prep
Clams need to be purchased alive and fresh. Usually, farmed clams are flushed and washed before the sale, so they only need rinsing under cold running water.
To extract any sand from the meat, wild clams need to be thoroughly washed and purged before cooking.
Please Read: Periwinkle Meat – How to Clean Piom Piom, Isam, or Nifi
How to Clean Clams
- For one gallon (3.8 liters) of water, make a weak brine solution (10 °)-1/3 cup of non-iodized salt (iodine can kill clams). For 20 minutes, soak the clams in the brine.
- In a strainer, pour the clams and rinse with cold water. With a stiff brush, clean vigorously. To extract any final grit, put the clams on the towel and rub them dry.
- Place the cleaned clams into a double pot steamer or a large kettle. For every pound (453g) of clams, add half a cup of water. Cover and apply high heat to your kettle. Steam the clams until their shells open.
- This can take from 3 to 10 minutes, depending on the kind of clams. Remove the open clams and serve. Dispose of any unopened clams, as they are presumably dead already.
How to Smoke Clams – Smoked Clams Recipe
Clams and mussels can be smoked in a smoker, can or with an electric smoker
For 5 lbs. (2.25 kg) of clam meat:
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) Bradley Demerara Cure (Do not use more than this amount.)
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) white pepper
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
Note: The amount of cure mix you add must be equal to the weight if the meat weighs either more or less than 5 pounds (2.25 kg).
For instance, if the weight of the meat is 2 ½ pounds (1.15 kg), then it is appropriate to cut each ingredient in half, including the Bradley Cure.
How to Smoke Clams
- Firstly, team the clams till they open.
- Secondly, brine for 3-5 minutes in 40° brine. Then, add 1.0 lb of salt to 1 gallon of water. This makes 40 degrees brine.
- Then, drain and pat dry. Dip in oil. Drain.
- After that, preheat the smokehouse to 100° F (38° C) and dry the clams without smoke for 30 minutes.
- Lastly, increase the temperature to 180° F (82° C) and apply heavy smoke for 30 minutes.