Cabbage vegetable beef soup is loaded with beef and vegetables that will keep you warm and satiated for a long time thereby helping you to lose weight.
Say hello to this homemade healthy comfort food that is low in carbs and fats, keto-approved, full of incredible flavor and super filling.
Old fashioned vegetable beef soup with cabbage has minimal fat content, is fairly low in calories for a protein-based soup and is suitable as a snack as well as the main meal.
Cabbage vegetable beef soup is quick to prepare, makes you feel full really fast and curbs overeating, and also provide a host of health benefits due to the vitamins and minerals from the vegetables
You can always substitute the beef for chicken, turkey or fish if you’d like to keep it low carb.
For a vegetarian option: replace the meat with chickpeas, black beans or tofu.
Plus, you can use vegetables with a low carb count but still enough to provide rich and strong flavors.
Ingredients Used For Old Fashioned Cabbage Vegetable Beef Soup
This recipe can be prepared at home using the instant pot/pressure cooker/slow cooker.
Though a slow cooker will take much longer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 pound 500 grams rib eye or scotch fillet steak, cut into 1-inch pieces (trimmed of visible fat)
- 6 cups beef stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley plus more to serve
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small green cabbage chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons each dried thyme and dried rosemary (or dried basil and oregano)
- 2 teaspoons onion or garlic powder
- Salt and freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- Firstly, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the beef and sear on all sides until browned all over (they don’t need to be cooked through).
- Then add the onions and cook until transparent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Secondly, add the celery and carrots to the pan, mixing through the flavors in the pot. Cook while mixing occasionally for about 3-4 minutes.
- then add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes until beginning to soften; add in the garlic, and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute), mixing all ingredients through.
- After that, add the stock (or broth), parsley, dried herbs, and onion or garlic powder; mixing well. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cover, with a lid.
- Lastly, allow simmering for 10-15 minutes or until the cabbage and carrots are soft. Season with salt and pepper, and add in little extra dried herbs, if needed.
Serve warm with a sprinkle of fresh parsley (if desired).
Calories: 177 kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 12 g | Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 34 mg | Sodium: 748 mg | Potassium: 250 mg | Sugar: 2 g | Vitamin A: 3485 IU | Vitamin C: 4 mg | Calcium: 22 mg | Iron: 1.5 mg