Shrimp Cocktail: How to Make Best Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Shrimp Cocktail also known as Prawn cocktail is a great low-calorie, yet rich in nutrients appetizer.
It is a seafood dish that consists of shelled, shrimps in a cocktail sauce, served in a glass.
Shrimp cocktail is all about the shrimp: big, fat, perfectly cooked gorgeous shrimp.
However old-fashioned it may seem, shrimp cocktail is a classic.
Shrimp is the best seafood to eat on a diet. It is a high protein, low-calorie, low-fat food but only when you prepare the seafood without added breading or fat.
One of our favorite foods that can be sautéed, grilled, you name it, to get a healthy portion of protein, selenium, and vitamin D.
Aside from protein, shrimp provide a pretty impressive array of nutrients.
Four ounces steamed contains over 100% of the Daily Value for selenium, over 75% for vitamin B12, over 50% for phosphorous and over 30% for choline, copper, and iodine.
Shrimp Recipe: How to Make an Easy Shrimp Cocktail
- 20 large uncooked shrimp, shell on, but deveined
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of ice
- ¼ cup of sea salt
- In the first place, whether the shrimp is peeled or not, it doesn’t really matter. You can either peel them while raw or you cook them and then peel them.
- Whichever way you choose, make sure that you leave the tail on. This is because it makes a nice presentation and acts as a handle for your shrimp.
- Now you have your raw shrimp. Equally important, is the best way to cook shrimp for shrimp cocktail. For me is to poach them gently.
- Then, bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Though optional, you can add some aromatics like some lemon juice and lemon wedges, peppercorns and a good handful of fresh parsley leaves.
- As a matter of fact, the only thing that is needed is water and salt. Once the water has reached its boiling point, take it completely off of the heat and allow the heat to lessen.
- After that, add your shrimp. Put the lid on the pot and let the shrimp soak in the heat for 4-7 minutes.
- The timing depends on how many shrimp you are cooking and how much water you have.
- The shrimps are done when they’re opaque and pink.
- Once cooked, remove them from the hot water. Put the shrimp into the bowl of ice water and let them chill completely.
- Lastly, serve immediately or drain and refrigerate for up to 12 hours before serving.
- 1 cup ketchup
- One lemon, zest finely grated and juiced
- 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Firstly, mix the ketchup, lemon zest and juice, Worcestershire, and horseradish sauce in a small bowl.
- Then, add hot sauce, if desired.
- Lastly, mix well, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yields 1 ½ cups