Sweet potato fries feature in a variety of dishes and cuisines as well as the popular fried sweet potatoes, a variant of French fries using sweet potato as an alternative to potato.
Fried sweet potatoes are known as patates in Guinean cuisine, where they are more popular than potatoes and more commonly used to make fries.
Sweet potato fries are slightly higher in calories and carbs but also more nutrient-dense than French fries.
The greatest nutrient difference is that French fries have no vitamin A, while sweet potato fries are high in this nutrient
Frying sweet potatoes is easy, healthy and always enjoyable!
They make a super quick side dish for chicken, fish or meat and satisfying vegetarian meal.
Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Pull out the spuds and get your dipping sauce ready, because it’s fry-day!
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder or ground cinnamon to taste
- Chopped parsley/sesame seeds / nigella seeds to sprinkle on top
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Firstly, quarter the sweet potato chips.
- Secondly, cut the quarters into slices (chips, cubes, matchbox)
- Thirdly, add the spices and stir well to coat.
- Then, heat the oil in a large non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet.
- After that, add the sweet potato slices in a single layer.
- Simultaneously, fry the sweet potatoes over medium heat, turning them every few minutes, for about 15 minutes, depending on how thick they are.
- Then, check after about 12 minutes, the sweet potato slices should be golden brown, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Lastly, sprinkle with fresh herbs/sesame seeds/ nigella seeds, etc. And serve immediately your sweet potato fries fried!
Sweet Potato Fries Calories – Nutrition Info
One three-ounce serving of sweet potatoes contains roughly 160 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 23 grams of carbohydrate.
Bear in mind that a side order of sweet potato fries at a restaurant yields about 350-450 calories, 20 grams fat, and 50 grams of carbohydrate.
Oven-Baked Potato Fries
Oven-baked sweet potato fries (can be made on the stove-top without oven) is so enjoyable that it makes you want to do it or have it a lot!
Wedges of sweet potatoes are mix up with oil, sprinkled with spices, and baked at high heat until browned and crispy at the edges.
How to Make Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
They are very easy to make and healthy too. Simply peel a few sweet potatoes, cut them into wedges or rounds.
Then, mix with some olive oil, shake with spices, and bake at a high temperature until lightly browned. So delicious!
Tips for the Baked Sweet Potato Fries Ever
- Firstly, try to cut them evenly so they all cook at about the same rate.
- Secondly, give them a cold water bath: once fries are chopped cover completely with cold water for at least 30 minutes (or up to overnight).
- At this stage, you can pack and freeze ahead for future use
- The next key to crispy fries is coating with cornstarch.
- Simply, whisk together the cornstarch and dry seasonings (garlic powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper) and toss them with the fries, after they have been coated in oil.
- Then, wait on the salt: we’ll add it on at the very end, which will also help reduce the soggy factor and allow you to salt to taste.
- Don’t crowd the pan
- Remember to preheat the oven with the baking sheet inside. If using frozen French fries, place frozen fries on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil, pour on oil and seasoning salt,
- Bake only one sheet at a time for best browning results.
- Sprinkle fries with a little sugar before putting in the oven for extra caramelization.
- Swap out half of the oil with melted butter for some extra flavor
- Roasted Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are a quick and easy way to prepare sweet potatoes. Firstly, seasoned and then roast in your Air fryer for about 15 minutes.
- Then dig in! Immediately! Fries are best served fresh out of the oven because they will start to get soggy (as any fries will) once they sit out for too long.
How to Make French Fries Crispy In the Oven
Homemade is the best way to cook sweet potato fries because you can make them the heaps with less oil and adjust the spices to your likening.
These easy and delicious fries are a wonderful alternative to regular fries!
- 6 medium potatoes – peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary
- ½ tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- ¼ tablespoon of onion powder
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 390°f (200°c)
- Secondly, peel potatoes and then slice in half length ways and then cut them into slices.
- Thirdly, add the sliced potatoes to a bowl and add in the olive oil, dried rosemary, salt, black pepper, garlic, and onion powder and toss together so that the potato slices are evenly coated.
- Then, place the potato slices evenly onto a parchment-lined baking tray.
- After that, bake the chips for 40 minutes until lightly golden on top.
- Finally, serve with ketchup and vegan sour cream or vegan mayonnaise.
*If you want it crispy rather than the softer version we have here, and then preheat your oven to 450°f (232°f) instead.
Sweet Potato Fries near Me in Lagos, Nigeria
- Samantha’s Bistro & Grill
- Craft Gourmet By Lou Baker
- 411 Burgers and Fries
- The Lagoon Restaurants