Why Are Peanuts One of Nigerian’s Underrated Foods?
Peanuts (Arachis hypogaea) are a legume that has its origin from South America. They have different names, such as groundnuts, earthnuts, desserts, and cakes goobers.
Peanuts have almost all the qualities of other popular edible nuts such as almonds but despite its name, they are actually legumes and are related to beans, soy, and lentils
Whether they are squash into butter, eaten right out of the shell, or sprinkled over a salad, groundnuts are a healthy snack in Nigeria. The good news is that they are in season right now! So what are you waiting for?
African groundnuts are rarely eaten raw. Instead, they are mostly consumed roasted, boiled or as peanut butter.
Other groundnuts products include peanut butter, oil, flour, and protein, groundnut soup, groundnut cakes and burger. These healthy nuts are used in a variety of ways, such as confectionery, snacks, juice recipes, sauces, desserts, and cakes.
Preparation and Serving Methods of Peanuts
- Peanut kernels are usually consumed as it is, by simply cracking the nuts with firm pressure between fingers. The nuts can also be enjoyed boiled, salted, roasted, or sweetened.
- They are nutty, yet pleasantly sweet in taste. Roasting enhances taste, augments antioxidants levels like p-coumaric acid, and helps remove toxic aflatoxin.
- Groundnuts and banana make a very good snack combination
- Roasted and crushed kernels often sprinkled over salads and desserts.
- Boiled groundnuts (groundnut boiling is an art, which takes time to master) possess unique flavor and taste. Boiling, actually, enriches their nutritional and antioxidants profile.
How to Boil Peanuts to Maximize Health Benefits
Here is how to boil it at home and enjoy it.
- First, wash the raw groundnuts (peanuts) to get rid of debris. Sort out the bad and immature nuts.
- After that, pour the groundnuts into the water and boil for 30 minutes. I like my groundnuts a bit crunchy and somehow half cooked, and I can get that result in 30 minutes.
- Then, stir and add some salt (depending on the size of groundnuts you are cooking, I usually add 1 teaspoon to 4 milk cup of groundnut) cover the pot and let it continue cooking.
- Fourthly, allow to cook for 30 minutes. Pick a few nuts out of the pot and open the shell to check it. When you do, you will notice a difference in colour between the cooked one and the raw one.
- Take the pot off the fire and allow the salt to seep into the nut properly for a minute or 2.
- Finally, drain the water and allow the boiled groundnut to cool.
- Enjoy your boiled groundnut by cracking open the shell and eating
Also Read: How Well Do You Know African Elemi, Canarium Schweinfurthii
Groundnuts Health Benefits
In addition to being everybody’s favorite sandwich filling, earthnuts pack a nutritional punch and present a range of health benefits.
- Your Heart will thank you for groundnuts. The majority of fats in groundnuts are heart-healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats, which can aid to lower “bad” LDL cholesterol. More also, they may cut your risk of gallstones.
- Groundnuts are low in carbs. This makes them a good dietary choice for people with diabetes.
- Groundnuts are a rich source of many vitamins and minerals. These include biotin, copper, niacin, folate, manganese, vitamin E, thiamine, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- Groundnuts contain various plant compounds. These include antioxidants, such as coumaric acid and resveratrol, as well as antinutrients like phytic acid.
- Groundnuts and weight loss: Groundnuts are very filling and can be considered an effective component of a weight loss diet.
- Groundnuts and Pregnancy: Groundnuts are actually a smart food choice for pregnant women. They contain protein and folate. Folate and folic acid supplements are recommended during pregnancy to help prevent birth defects
- Groundnuts and fibroid: Also found an article via livestrong.com titled “Foods That Help Shrink Fibroids”. In that article, it suggests peanut butter could aid in relieving and reducing fibroid symptoms, perhaps not alone but in conjunction with other fibroids friendly foods.
- Groundnuts and Men’s libido: Peanuts, Almonds, Brazil nuts, and, walnuts boost the production of hormones. They increase libido and reverse impotence in men.
- Groundnuts and keto: Peanut butter can be a part of a keto diet since it contains mostly fats and protein with very little carbohydrates,
Side Effects of Consuming Groundnuts
Groundnuts and pimples:
Peanuts contain an androgen, which can make acne worse by increasing sebum production. “Peanuts will generally make people oilier.
However, being high in fat, peanut is a high-calorie food and should not be eaten in excess
Groundnuts and Diarrhea
Allergies occur when we react to harmless substances, including foods which the body may try to flush out through diarrhea.
Allergy to groundnuts may lead to diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating and other allergy symptoms such as an itchy skin rash. Allergy to groundnuts is more common in children,
5 thoughts on “Why Are Peanuts One of Nigerian’s Underrated Foods?”
Pingback: Christmas Favourite Snack- Nigerian Okpa - 9jafoods
Pingback: Healthy Afternoon Snacks for the Office - 9jafoods
Pingback: Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie - 9jafoods
Useful information. Fortunate me I discovered your website unintentionally, and I am shocked why this coincidence didn’t took place
earlier! I bookmarked it.
Pingback: Powerballs / Energy Balls (Healthy & Easy) Recipe - 9jafoods