Fried Rice Recipe: How to Cook Nigerian Fried Rice
Fried rice is prepared by stir-frying seasoned pre-cooked rice with a mixture of vegetables and cooked proteins (beef/chicken/turkey or prawns).
Rice is a very popular food in Nigeria; it would most likely come first on the list of foods eaten in Nigeria thereby making it a major meal in most Nigerian homes.
Nigerian fried rice is the second most popular rice dish in Nigeria; A must-have at parties, weddings, street parties, picnics, special events, and occasions.
We have several methods of cooking : African fried rice – the Nigerian Fried Rice, Ghanaian, Ethiopian, and the popular Asian chicken fried rice.
Whether you have it as a side dish or a meal on its own, this classic Nigerian dish is sure to have everyone enjoying a second helping.
Here is the complete best 10 ingredient fried rice for making this delicious Nigerian food. Although some of them could be omitted or more ingredients added depending on personal liking.
How to Cook Nigerian Fried Rice at Home – Step By Step
Below is a simple recipe with a remarkable impact!
- 2 cups long-grain Basmati white rice
1 Cup Mixed Vegetables: I used 2 large green peppers,
1 small cabbage, 1 large onion, ½ cup green beans, 4 large carrots, ½ tbsp. white pepper
2 cups chicken stock
3 cooking spoons groundnut oil
- 4 large chicken thighs (or other meat of choice – Fish, turkey, beef)
1 tsp. curry powder
Seasoning and salt to taste
- Firstly, wash and spice the chicken pieces or any other meat of choice with the necessary ingredients: a teaspoon of salt, half cup of sliced onions, and a teaspoon of thyme spice, a teaspoon of curry, 2 cubes of Maggi or Knorr. Boil until tender, then fry or grill them.
- Secondly, chop the carrot, cabbage, green pepper, and green beans.
- After that, parboil the rice, then cook in the chicken stock (add 2 extra cups of water). Cook until almost tender then set aside.
- Then, put a clean frying pan on the fire. Add groundnut oil and onion to the pan. Stir for a minute then add the carrot and green beans. Stir for another minute.
- Add the cabbage, green pepper, white pepper; curry, seasoning and salt to taste (try to keep it a bit spicy). Then stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Lastly, put the rice to the mix, stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Your amazing fried rice is ready. Serve with Nigerian salad, coleslaw or Moi Moi.
2 thoughts on “Fried Rice Recipe: How to Cook Nigerian Fried Rice”
Pingback: Fried Plantain (Dodo) Recipe: How to Make At Home - 9jafoods
Pingback: Fried Chicken: How to Make Tasty Fried Chicken - 9jafoods