Nigerian Chicken Tortilla Soup: CrockPot, Slow Cooker or Stovetop!
Chicken tortilla soup is a traditional Mexican soup made with chicken, beans, and veggies, completed with tortilla strips and a variety of toppings. Tortilla soup is the perfect hearty meal for a cold night!
Recipe for tortilla soup can be prepared using the slow cooker chicken tortilla soup method, or chicken tortilla soup crock pot or stove top chicken tortilla soup.
Also Read: Best Lasagna Recipe With Chicken and Vegetables
There is no need any longer to visit Mexican restaurant near you for their signature best recipe chicken tortilla soup when you can prepare homemade chicken tortilla soup.
Follow this step-by-step easy tortilla soup recipe that will help you to serve up café-quality bowls of fresh soup at the end of the day.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe (How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3-4 cups cooked chopped or shredded chicken (the meat from about 1 rotisserie chicken)
- Or 1 ½ – 2 lbs. Uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 medium tomatoes, not drained
- 1 4.5 ounces can dice green chilies
- 1 15 black beans, drained and rinsed
- A cup of taco sauce or salsa of your choice
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Garnish for serving (optional): lime, cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese sliced green onions.
- Bag of tortilla chips
A. Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- First, mix cooked chopped chicken and chicken broth, corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, taco sauce, onion, garlic powder, cumin, and taco seasoning thoroughly in a slow cooker.
- After that, then cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
- Next, crush a handful of tortilla chips and place in bottom of individual bowls. Ladle soup over chips and garnish with desired toppings.
- Please note: the cooking time of raw chicken breasts should be increased to 4-6 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high. Shred or chop the chicken breasts after cooking, return to the pot, and serve.
B. Chicken Tortilla Crockpot/ Instant pot/Pressure Cooker Instructions
- First, start by cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces if uncooked.
- Then, turn the instant pot on sauté setting and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once heated, add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Please note: you can skip the first step if using cooked chicken and just add the chicken to the instant pot with the rest of the ingredients.
- Now put off the instant pot.
- After that, add the chicken broth, corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, taco sauce, green chilies, onion, garlic powder, cumin, and taco seasoning to the pot with the chicken. Stir well.
- Next, seal the instant pot lid and turn the valve to seal. Pressure cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Allow the instant pot to naturally release for 2 minutes (by leaving it off after it finishes cooking). Then, carefully do a quick pressure release by using a towel or potholder to carefully turn the valve to venting to release the steam and pressure.
- Finally, crush a handful of tortilla chips and place in bottom of individual bowls. Ladle soup over chips and garnish with desired toppings.
C. Stovetop chicken tortilla soup instructions
- First, start by heating 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot if using uncooked chicken.
- Then, add diced chicken and cook, stirring regularly, or until chicken is browned (it does not need to be well cooked).
- Please note: can skip the first step if you are starting with diced cooked chicken, and just add the chicken to the instant pot with the rest of the ingredients.
- Now, add the chicken broth, corn, black beans, green chilies, taco sauce, onion, garlic powder, diced tomatoes, cumin, and taco seasoning to the pot with the chicken. Stir well.
- Allow to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Next, allow the soup to simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Finally, crush a handful of tortilla chips and place in bottom of individual bowls. Scoop soup over chips and garnish with desired toppings.
Do you like my soup tortilla? Why not give it a try! Kindly click the share buttons and don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I take pleasure in reading from you. Please follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook| Twitter |You Tube | Pinterest | Instagram
Thanks for visiting 9jafoods today
4 thoughts on “Nigerian Chicken Tortilla Soup: CrockPot, Slow Cooker or Stovetop!”
Pingback: Falafel | Nigerian Falafel Recipe | How to Make Falafel - 9jafoods
Pingback: Shakshuka Recipe with Feta-Rich Egg Dish That Satisfies
Pingback: Slow Cooker Home-style Chicken and Vegetables Recipe - 9jafoods
Pingback: What Is Pozole? How to Make Authentic Mexican Corn Soup - 9jafoods