Organic Baby Food Recipes in Nigeria – Millet Baby Cereal
Organic baby food is grown or processed without synthetic fertilizers or pesticides.
It is common knowledge that conventional growers use pesticides to protect their crops from molds, insects, and diseases.
Further more, feeding your baby organic baby food might limit his or her exposure to these substances.
Some parents prefer organic baby food because it’s environmentally friendly. While others feel that organic baby food simply tastes better.
However, what’s most important is a balanced diet. Giving your child healthy foods from the beginning will set the stage for a lifetime of healthy eating.
Is Your Baby Ready For Organic Baby Food?
In their 2012 publication, the American Academy of Pediatrics endorses waiting until the baby is 6 months to start adding in solid foods.
Nevertheless, some people start as soon as the baby is 4 months, on condition that certain developmental stages have been met.
According to a 2013 study, babies who start to eat some types of solid foods by 6 months old had a lessened risk of allergies and asthma.
It is of utmost importance that the baby can sit upright and hold the head up. It is also vital they show signs of interest in solid food.
As soon as you have gotten the okay from your child’s pediatrician, you are ready to bring on baby’s first foods!
Getting Started With Organic Baby Food
You don’t have to be a master in the kitchen to make your baby food.
Start with just a few homemade items to supplement store-bought baby food.
Mashing a very ripe avocado or banana is a good place to begin.
If your baby responds well, you can then progress by preparing nutrient-rich foods.
Such foods include millet, beets, broccoli, turnips, asparagus, spinach, blueberries, kale, mango, and papaya.
As with all new foods, you should first speak to your doctor before including any food in your baby’s diet.
Millet is a wonderful grain for your baby. It is gluten-free, versatile, nutritious, and easily digestible.
It is a less allergenic grain suitable as a solid food for your baby.
Moreover, the shape and size of millet resemble barley which makes it a portion of excellent finger food. The smooth texture ensures its easy digestion.
Is Millet Good For Babies?
Millet is a good protein source and is rich in multiple vitamins, iron, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. One cup of cooked millet contains the following nutritional values:
- Protein – 6.11 g
- Vitamin A – 5 IU
- Thiamine (Vitamin B1) – 0.18 mg
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) – 0.14 mg
- Folate – 33 m cg
- Niacin – 2.3 mg
- Phosphorus – 174 mg
- Potassium – 108 mg
- Sodium – 3 mg
- Calcium – 5 mg
- Magnesium – 77 mg
- Iron – 1.09 mg
The Best Way to Cook Millet
Introduce your baby to solids by whipping up a smooth puree.
Add pureed fruits and vegetables to baby’s homemade millet cereal.
Ensure that you follow the 4-day wait rule which is a simple way to check for possible reactions to new foods such as food sensitivities or food allergies.
Millet Baby Food Recipes:
Toasted Millet Baby Cereal
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil – use olive oil
- 1 cup whole grain millet
- 2 cups boiling water
- Firstly, heat oil in a large pan. Then, add 1 cup millet and sauté. After that, stir the millet in the pan until it begins to “toast” and turn brown.
- Secondly, add 2 cups of boiling water. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Let it stand for five minutes and then fluff a bit.
- Lastly, you may add spices such as cinnamon, ginger and vanilla, and also fruits, veggies and/or other foods that are age-appropriate for your baby
Millet, Carrots and Apples Stew
- ½ cup millet, uncooked
- 1½ cups of water
- ½ cup apple juice (you may use water if you wish)
- 3 cups diced carrots
- ½ cup diced apples
- Firstly, combine carrots, the 1½ cups water, the millet, diced apples and the apple juice in a medium saucepan.
- Secondly, allow the mixture to boil then reduce the heat to low.
- Lastly, simmer the millet stew covered for about 20 minutes
Millet Veggie Salad
- Soft cooked millet (not pureed)
- Tender cooked carrots – diced
- Soft cooked peas – squash if needed
- Tender cooked chicken or beef – diced or shredded into small bits
- Firstly, toss all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Then serve as a finger food meal or snack.
Best Organic Baby Formula Brands in Nigeria
Commercial baby foods are nutritious options for feeding baby, too.
Today’s commercial baby foods provide balance and varieties. Be sure to talk to your baby’s health care provider about the foods and potential supplements that are best for your baby
Competition: In Nigeria, the major baby food players are Nestle, Friesland Campina, Kraft Heinz, Plum Organics, Danone, Nutrimental, Abbott, Promasidor, August Secrets, Baby Grubz, Tiger Brand and others.
Few local manufacturers have entered the market and have started to focus on organic baby food product segment specifically in the dried and prepared baby food segment.