Ogbono Soup like the majority of Nigerian soups are called after the leaves or the thickener used in cooking them. Since the thickener is Ogbono, the soup is named Ogbono Soup, and because it draws, some people call it Draw soup. So, it’s either called Ogbono or Draw Soup.
Nigerian ogbono soup or draw soup is a popular soup that you can make with Ogbono seeds (wild African bush mango seeds). Babies are usually introduced to this Nigerian soup especially when trying to introduce them to solids. The slimy texture of Ogbono soup helps them to swallow with ease.
Ogbono (Ogbolo/Apon) soup is actually easy to prepare because you can buy and prepare almost all the ingredients in the market. Therefore, it very easy to cook especially when you are running short of time and in need to cook soup that comes out great.
You can make this soup without adding any vegetables. Others prefer their Ogbolo Soup with vegetables which can be Pumpkin leaves (Ugu), Spinach, Onuigbu (bitter leaf), Uziza leave and Oha leaves. The first three vegetables listed are the most common vegetables you can use.
Whatever vegetables you are using, please, note that Ogbono Soup does not really need many vegetables. Add your vegetables sparingly, a handful will be enough, you only need few bright greens to float on top.
HOW TO RECOGNIZE ORIGINAL OGBONO SEED
Have you ever experienced great expectation before cooking your Ogbono Soup, only to finish cooking the soup and noticed that your Ogbolo soup is watery [it did not ‘draw’], It can be painful, isn’t it?
There is nothing like fake Ogbono in the market. Buy Ogbono that looks new and fresh. Old Ogbono does not draw and has a soapy taste when used to cook. Any Ogbono that is new and fresh regardless of the type is good.
Some times traders mix the new and old Ogbono together so the best approach would be to buy from a trusted customer.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF EATING OGBONO SOUP
Since Ogbono takes center stage when preparing the soup I will write about its health benefits at length.
- First, ogbono seed contains balanced nutritional oil and six (6) essential amino acids.
- Secondly, it also has a good amount of minerals such as Magnesium, Iron, helps to build physique tissues. Sodium, Phosphorus and Potassium.
- The boiling method is healthier because it is not fattening. Studies show that eating Ogbono soup helps in weight loss by increasing the amount of leptin in the body, controlling diabetics and building body tissues.
- Finally, the seed is also rich in Vitamin A, which aid to preserve healthy skin.
Therefore, when consuming Ogbono soup next time simply know that you are eating yourself into good health.
OGBONO SOUP RECIPE- How to Cook/Make
There are many ways of cooking Ogbolo soup:
- Firstly, you can prepare Ogbolo Soup with only Ogbolo.
- Secondly, you can combine ground Ogbono with little Okra.
- Or you can combine Ogbolo together with Egusi, it all depends on your preference and how you like your draw soup to be.
- Lastly, you prepare the soup by frying or boiling method.
Below is the step by step process on how I made my Ogbolo Soup. I hope this simple recipe will help you make the best Ogbono Soup ever.
- 1 cup or 500 g of ground Ogbono seeds
- 3 cooking spoons of palm oil
- Beef (cow Meat)
- Cow tripe (Shaki or kpomo)
- 5 sizable chopped raw okra
- Fish: Dry and Stock fish
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tablespoon of ground crayfish
- 2 tablespoon of dry pepper
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 stock/seasoning cubes
- A Small quantity of vegetable: Pumpkin leaf (Ugu) to garnish
- Firstly, soak the smoked fish and stock fish in water for 1 hour. When the smoked fish and stock fish are tender, remove the bone and cut them into sizable chunks.
- Then, combine kpomo and beef in a pot. Add 3 cups of water, 2 seasoning cubes and salt to taste. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until meat is tender. Add the soft boneless smoked and stock fish and cook for another 5 minutes.
- After that, mix dried Ogbolo with 3 cooking spoons of palm oil (this will make the Ogbolo not to form lumps inside the soup). Add the mixture into the meat broth and stir thoroughly.
- After that, cook for 20 minutes, you will begin to perceive its nice flavor and aroma.
- Similarly, add all leftover ingredients including the chopped okra, crayfish, pepper into the soup. Stir well and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, garnish with any vegetable of our choice. I used Ugu.
Serve with your choice of swallow. I prefer pounded yam and ogbono soup